Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
I'd been looking at this revolver at the gun shop in my local range for some time. Finally decided to bite the bullet in August. Took me untl a couple of weeks ago to get ammo ( 38 S&W). It's a sweet shooter in SA, although the DA trigger is pretty stiif.

Colt Police Positve Special. MFR 1913

20230916_201650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jay . Looks like you have acquired a nice little revolver and being a Colt I am sure it is quite collectable . It looks very similar to the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver which shoots the same cartridge . The 38 S&W cartridge is by no means a powerful cartridge but it is easy ( fun) to shoot . I taught both my children to shoot revolvers using the old S&W that I have. I love old revolvers .

Hi Jay . Looks like you have acquired a nice little revolver and being a Colt I am sure it is quite collectable . It looks very similar to the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver which shoots the same cartridge . The 38 S&W cartridge is by no means a powerful cartridge but it is easy ( fun) to shoot . I taught both my children to shoot revolvers using the old S&W that I have. I love old revolvers .
Thank you. I'm at a stage where old and collectible firearms are more desirable than the latesr gizmo. I'm currently counting pennies for another Colt in .32 S&W Long.

Nothing wrong with collecting firearms , whether it be hunting rifles or handguns , they are a source of fun and enjoyment ( most times ) . The old Colts are normally quite collectable and these days can often cost a pretty penny . I have a couple of Colts , old genuine World War 2 A1 pistol , Colt Woodsman .22 and a Colt Python . Good luck with your next purchase .

Externally similar to "Nagan". The United States has a long tradition of revolvers. In our country they are very poorly distributed. Mostly automatic and semi-automatic pistols. The last revolver that was: “Nagan” was removed from service in 2005. They stopped producing it in 1942.

Love it, unfortunately my country´s silly gun laws don´t allow me to collect guns.

I'd been looking at this revolver at the gun shop in my local range for some time. Finally decided to bite the bullet in August. Took me untl a couple of weeks ago to get ammo ( 38 S&W). It's a sweet shooter in SA, although the DA trigger is pretty stiif.

View attachment 557904
I believe the "stiffness" of the trigger in DA is what is called stacking which Colts are known for. If it is like my Colt Detective Special, the trigger pull gets increasingly harder or heavier as it approaches the firing point.

My friend Grant Cunningham who used to be especially known for working on Colt triggers before arthritis got his hands wrote about the stacking issue. Here is a link to the article:

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2007/06/what-causes-stacking

Attachments

• What causes stacking? – www.GrantCunningham.com.pdf
    534.2 KB · Views: 39

View attachment 557904
Beautiful old gun! The 1907 PP are really pretty in my view and very classic early swing-out cylinder revolver lines. ( Old Smiths too). the .38 S&W is a handloader's/ bullet casters proposition these days. If you want to duplicate the original bullet and load for a .38, a custom mold maker (like accurate molds) would be able to make you a .363"-.364" 146 grain RN mold for sizing back to .361" (Where you'll find that sizing die I don't know!). I have always liked the cartridge though! I just wish it was a shorter .38 special... alas it is not. Beautiful old piece and well worth shooting and keeping alive! Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?