7x57 Load Workup with Hornady 154 Spire Points and IMR 4350

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
First ladder in working up a load for one of my 7x57's (actually labeled 275 Rigby) using some old Hornady 154gr Spire Points, IMR-4350, CCI 200 primers, and PPU brass. Not sure when I'll actually get this out to the range, but hopefully soon.

7x57_Hornady154SP_1.jpg

7x57_Hornady154SP_2.jpg

7x57_Hornady154SP_3.jpg

FN_Mauser275Rigby_20774_1.jpg

I like the looks of your rifle and I'm sure it will like one of those loads. My '98 has a 22" barrel and shoots the 154 Hornady propelled with 49 grains of IMR-4350 into less than 1 MOA at a little over 2700 fps. Got my last elk with that load but, used a 150 Nosler Partition instead of the 154 Hornady.

Thanks, and good to hear. My dad left behind some handloads using that same bullet for the other two 7x57's, but I think those might have used IMR 4831. I'll have to dig them out later and check.

my dad used a 7x57 in a fn 98 action with 22" barrel with a older 2.5 leupold scope with hornady 154 round nose bullets at 2500 fps, he killed alot of deer with that combo.

Hi,

This bullet is one of my favorites in my 7x57. I load and use it since 1975, pre Interlock then.
In a standard 7mm Mauser barrel, the 154 Hornady Spire Point can be loaded, with any of the 4350's, at least to 2700 f/s muzzle velocity with entirely safe pressures. Of course in a modern rifle in good shape with 22" barrel lenght or more.
I would aim to reach that velocity instead to focus on specific 4350 charge weights.

Good luck!

I too love that bullet in my 7x57 (A Ruger #1A). With IMR4831 I am able to get an easy 2750fps with good accuracy and the bullet Is certainly deadly on deer. Good luck with yours.

Some of your loads seem to be a bit warm based on published data. I would be very cautious about the last couple of loads.
These loads come from a 1970's era Hornady loading manual, which I like to refer to as "pre-lawyer". ;-) But I agree with your concern and will work my way up slowly, looking for signs of pressure along the way. The good news is this is a somewhat more modern rifle than an old surplus Mauser, so should be able to handle a hotter charge better; but at the end of the day, I'm more interested in accuracy than seeing how fast I can push it.

Hi,

This bullet is one of my favorites in my 7x57. I load and use it since 1975, pre Interlock then.
In a standard 7mm Mauser barrel, the 154 Hornady Spire Point can be loaded, with any of the 4350's, at least to 2700 f/s muzzle velocity with entirely safe pressures. Of course in a modern rifle in good shape with 22" barrel lenght or more.
I would aim to reach that velocity instead to focus on specific 4350 charge weights.

Good luck!
Thanks, and that is probably my next step after I get an idea of what general charge weights it likes from an accuracy perspective.

These loads come from a 1970's era Hornady loading manual, which I like to refer to as "pre-lawyer". ;-) But I agree with your concern and will work my way up slowly, looking for signs of pressure along the way. The good news is this is a somewhat more modern rifle than an old surplus Mauser, so should be able to handle a hotter charge better; but at the end of the day, I'm more interested in accuracy than seeing how fast I can push it.

Current Hornady manual shows 43.4gr of IMR-4350 as max. Damn lawyers are always spoiling folks' fun.;)

Wow, that seems like a big difference. I would have guessed only a few grains difference.

Wow, that seems like a big difference. I would have guessed only a few grains difference.

Cash, I don't consider myself an experienced enough handloader to really offer an opinion. Have we become that litigious as a society? Possibly a reformulation of the powder since your manual was published? Others have mentioned safely pushing a 154gr bullet to 2700+ fps. The max 43.4gr load shows as only running at 2400fps in my manual.

20230621_223959.jpg

Hi,

The european 7mm Mauser loads, NORMA and RWS have been always at the top level standarized by the C.I.P. By the way, the maximum working pressure by that standard is lower than the 30-06 and the 308 Win.

I have 10 boxes of 7x57 150 gr NORMA cartridges of three lots. The marked muzzle velocity in the boxes is 2756 f/s. I measured all three lots. None are less than 2700 f/s in my rifle´s 60 cm/23,7" barrel lenght.
And the GREAT original RWS 173 H-Mantel cartridges I have, from the sixties and the eighties, are around 2550 f/s, MEASURED by me.

So, I see no problem to handload that 154 grs Hornadys with 4350 at 2700. Period.

Attachments

• tabical-en-page33.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 41
  • tabical-en-page111.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 61
  • tabical-en-page125.pdf
    109.2 KB · Views: 48
Cash, I don't consider myself an experienced enough handloader to really offer an opinion. Have we become that litigious as a society? Possibly a reformulation of the powder since your manual was published? Others have mentioned safely pushing a 154gr bullet to 2700+ fps. The max 43.4gr load shows as only running at 2400fps in my manual.

View attachment 541274
I'll have to check my old Hornady manual when i get back home in a few days, but I want to think that one has something like 50.3 grains of IMR 4350 listed as max load for this bullet.

I have been going back to "old school" reloading lately. By that I mean using classic bullets at modest velocities. In the 275 Rigby, I have been playing with Rem CL 150gr and 175gr and Hornady 154gr and 175gr RNSP. I have the 150/154 bullets at just over 2500fps and the 175 bullets at 2400fps. The loads are sub-MOA. I have found these bullets preform a bit better (meaning hold together and penetrate better) when they are pushed at more moderate velocities.

One thing I have noticed in a lot of the 7x57 data is they often use WW cases which have more space than any others. Fed and R-P cases are around 20gr heavier.

In the 30-06, I am loading the Hornady RNSP also at around 2400fps.

As part of this "getting back to basics" venture, we plan to use the Rigby's and their bolt peep sights as much as possible. I think these loads will be great for game here in the Texoma area.

Safe shooting

I have been going back to "old school" reloading lately. By that I mean using classic bullets at modest velocities. In the 275 Rigby, I have been playing with Rem CL 150gr and 175gr and Hornady 154gr and 175gr RNSP. I have the 150/154 bullets at just over 2500fps and the 175 bullets at 2400fps. The loads are sub-MOA. I have found these bullets preform a bit better (meaning hold together and penetrate better) when they are pushed at more moderate velocities.

One thing I have noticed in a lot of the 7x57 data is they often use WW cases which have more space than any others. Fed and R-P cases are around 20gr heavier.

In the 30-06, I am loading the Hornady RNSP also at around 2400fps.

As part of this "getting back to basics" venture, we plan to use the Rigby's and their bolt peep sights as much as possible. I think these loads will be great for game here in the Texoma area.

Safe shooting
Great insight, and I agree. All of the reloading I'm doing is using the equipment and components that my Dad left behind, so it is mostly "vintage" (but still in great condition).

Btw, you mentioned the Texoma area. We recently bought some raw wooded land up near Denison, and I do my shooting range time out at a friend's ranch near Bells.

@cash_tx: I bet the area is beautiful. We are a couple hours west of you.

Something else I have noted, Nosler has the more "modern" load data for 7x57. Big difference between their data and other manuals. After WW cases, PPU and Hornady have the most volume. A load I work up using R-P or Federal cases is always faster than the same loads in the higher volume cases such as Hornady, PPU, WW. Normally 100fps faster.

Safe shooting

Current Hornady manual shows 43.4gr of IMR-4350 as max. Damn lawyers are always spoiling folks' fun.;)
From what I understand, the current data is developed using piezo pressure measurements rather than the older copper crusher measurements. This is a more accurate method and has led to reduced maximum powder charges.

I would also use velocity as the limiting factor as it is more easily measured by the normal shooter. Interesting to note that Explosia (Lovex) data for the 7x57 (CIP) has max loads with velocity around 2657 fps with a pressures up to 56,500 psi. SAMMI max is about 51,000 psi for comparison.

Nevertheless, it's your rifle and your body.

This is what I love about this forum; the insights and knowledge sharing that you get from the other members is absolutely invaluable (and very much appreciated). Based on some of feedback on this post, I revisited a number of my reloading manuals on hand (most are dated from the early 1970's, through the 80's). The Hornady guide from 1973 lists a charge range for this bullet and IMR 4350 from Min. 40.8g to Max 50.5g; whereas, the Hornady guide from 1980 lists a charge range of Min. 43.0g to Max 47.7g. So, I decided to alter my ladder to run from 43.0g to 48.0g; by just pulling the bullets from the 49.0 and 50.0 cartridges and lowering the powder charges accordingly. I am also seating the bullets down to get a pretty standard OAL of 3.000"; so as not to risk any pressure spikes at this stage. I'm going to see how this ladder performs, and then make adjustments from there.

PS - yes, my altered labeling on the ammo box looks ghetto now, but I'll make it work. ;-)

7mmMauser_Reloads_062523.jpg

The newer Hornady books are very conservative. Also your loads are loaded longer than normal book length so, that needs to be considered as well.
If your magazine and throat will allow the longer length I would stay with it, unless it shoots lousy. 50 grs of IMR4350 is not a max load in a modern rifle, though of course watch for pressure signs all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MahaliaRen

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!