7.5 x 55 Swiss Smith/Ruben K31 rifle

This may be preaching to choir, as you seem way further down the reloading 7.5 Swiss rabbit hole than I ever went @Gert Odendaal , but I recall reading that the Lee dies were the older spec dimensions and although functional were not optimal for K31 loadings and if I recall correctly the Redding dies were preferred amongst the aficionados. Also as far as I can recall (it's been about 15 years) they all had seemed to have settled on one or another variety of .308 commercial bullet as others have stated. Take this with a grain of salt as it is uncertain memories and something I never ventured to do myself.
I came to the conclusion that the longest .308 bullet will give you good groupings and accurate shooting . The GP-11 is suppose to be the most accurate rounds for the Swiss . So, when all the GP-11 rounds is shot out I will use the long 35.4mm Kriek bullets and the 7.5 x55 bullets I received from a friend of mine. Reloader AR 17 will be the propellant I will be using.
6a245cb2-7a48-483c-888c-055353fe696c.jpg
387bcf40-453b-41e2-8fad-8756ade62b8b.jpg
1674034444987330306_large.jpg

New to the forum but it's cool to see people interested in K31s. Truly a unique and quality rifle with a certain smoothness about them that one has to experience to understand. Here's some older pics of mine from 5 or 6 years ago when I was tinkering with mine. I used to have another one but regrettably sold it (back when they were cheap doh). I ended up putting a Nikon 2-7 pistol scope on an S&K scout mount because of my eyes going downhill. Added the cheapo riser to try to eliminate some of the parallax error by making my cheekweld more consistent with the fixed 50m scope parallax. As well as the clamp on Swiss Products brake mostly to protect the crown because I'm not big on gun cases and ride around muzzle down on the floorboard quite a bit, and have been spoiled with modern rifles with muzzle devices. I saw no noteworthy change in accuracy or barrel harmonics with the clamp on brake in my experience.

I ended up building some other guns and getting away from hunting with it, mostly because I got really tired of lugging around all 12lbs of it. I also found the scope eye relief, eye box, and field of view to be lacking compared to a conventional mounted scope, only comfortable on higher powers around 5x which then caused the "looking through a straw" effect. Maybe this could have been remedied with a different scope, I've heard good things about Burris, Leupolds, and even NCstars LER offerings but haven't tried them myself, figured it was a lost cost fallacy. There was one occasion that the limitations of the scope cost me. A small rutty buck came down a fence row right towards me at a trot to about 15 yards without stopping and I wasn't able to get a shot off before he busted me and would have been better off with irons, and that kind of spoiled it for me.

Thinking about it I've still got an unopened case of GP-11 from before it all dried up. When I started modifying it I was shooting exclusively PPU 174gr softpoints, although GP-11 always shot a little tighter for me. Ultimately the Swiss probably did it correctly and I should return it to its original configuration and relegate it (thanks to my eyes) to a brush gun.
View attachment 567885
View attachment 567890

shot this fawn off a bouncing fence wire in high winds at about 200 yards
View attachment 567887
this doe at 338 yards off sticks
View attachment 567888
Nice to see every ones posts, and good luck with your bullets Gert Odendaal, cheers
I have that same mount, in fact just put it back on my rifle the other day. I dont have a real good scope, just a cheapo 2.5X but it does help over the irons.

I want to go the BAD ACE scope mount , it seems the best design on the Swiss as is on the Swedish Mauser

I want to go the BAD ACE scope mount , it seems the best design on the Swiss as is on the Swedish Mauser
That is an interesting looking mount and not stupid high priced. Good reviews too.

I had mine to the range today with the 2.5X scout scope setup, which is less than ideal. With the GP11 ammo it put 5 in an all touching .75" group at 100 yards.

I tried to order this mount on line but it wouldnt allow me to as it said they couldn't ship to my address!

Thinking this was a repeat of my recent experience with Cheaper than Dirt, I emailed and asked why not, trying to not be too snarky.

They got right back to me and said the issue was on their end, not mine and said no problem shipping one to me. But then of course they also said that despite what the website said, it was out of stock for at least a couple of weeks, so I got on the notify list when back in stock.

I had one for a while (along with a large stash of GP11 ammo). Mounted a scope using Swiss Products mount. It would honestly shoot just under 2 MOA.

Extremely well made and maintained (except of course the hobnail imprints in the the fat walnut stock). Overly complicated action made me understand why the straight pull concept never truly caught on. Frankly, I hated the gun. God Bless Paul Mauser.

I had one for a while (along with a large stash of GP11 ammo). Mounted a scope using Swiss Products mount. It would honestly shoot just under 2 MOA.

Extremely well made and maintained (except of course the hobnail imprints in the the fat walnut stock). Overly complicated action made me understand why the straight pull concept never truly caught on. Frankly, I hated the gun. God Bless Paul Mauser.
Have owned I think 3 of these and all shot sub MOA no problem, with that GP ammo, amazing stuff. These K31's will probably out shoot any other service rifle ever made as issued.

Have owned I think 3 of these and all shot sub MOA no problem, with that GP ammo, amazing stuff. These K31's will probably out shoot any other service rifle ever made as issued.
I don't doubt you. I never reloaded or tried to "accuratize"mine, but that is what it would do at the range on average ( perhaps closer to 1.5 MOA than 2).

I did love the trigger. Amazing for a Milsurp.

The K-31 is an amazing rifle. I shoot cast bullets in mine. This is testing with NEI 154-311, which groups are double the size of Lyman 311466.

WrU8hig.jpg

Scoped:
KX5S2aIl.jpg

Irons:
RVXFVsPl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got an email from Bad Ace, scope mount is already back in stock, so I ordered one.

And it came today, pretty quick shipping from Canadas east coast to left coast US!

Easy mount, only thing took a few minutes was the brass deflector shield, its adjustable so have to find a sweet spot. Not sure its going to be 100 percent as is but we shall see when I get a chance to shoot it, which wont be for another week as the public range day falls on Thanksgiving...
Anyway its mounted.
IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WallyBerge

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!