Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I managed to get ahold of a starter .500 NE, to see if I could handle such a big bore.

I posted a few pictures before in another thread, but here are a few more. As per the question from @Andrew Short, I do not know the maker, nor the model. All I know is it is Belgian proofed. But there is no maker name on it. It looks like a very basic model, with all the little upgrades (articulated front trigger, ejectors, striker disks, etc. ) that one would hope for, in a real work horse.

I add a few more pictures, if anyone can get more info out of these markings, I'd be more than happy to hear them

IMG_7943.JPEG

IMG_7956.JPEG

IMG_7950.JPEG

IMG_7953.JPEG

IMG_7951.JPEG

Last edited:
It is a fine looking “starter” double! I’d be proud to have it.

How did you find the recoil? What does it weigh?

It is a fine looking “starter” double! I’d be proud to have it.

How did you find the recoil? What does it weigh?
I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot it.
As far as weight goes, there is written on the flats "2kg661" but I would need to weigh it to know if this is correct.
One thing is for sure, the full length rib adds some heft to the front of the barrels.

I do need to get a broken spring/broken firing pin fixed. And have a thick rubber pad installed, it is a bit short right now.

It appears to be a Belgian guild gun built on an Auguste Francotte action. I used a similar specimen in .458 Winchester Magnum to down a Cape buffalo in 1978.
View attachment 557815
Thank you very much for this information @Hunter-Habib . Could you enlighten me what characteristics made you identify it as a Francotte action?

I'll add some more pics for your consideration:

IMG_7944.JPEG

IMG_7954.JPEG

Hopefully that turns out to be a good rifle. There are so many double rifles I’d be afraid to take hunting because they might get a scratch. That looks like a practical double for hunting. Good luck pulling trigger first time!

Thank you very much for this information @Hunter-Habib . Could you enlighten me what characteristics made you identify it as a Francotte action?

I'll add some more pics for your consideration:

View attachment 557841

View attachment 557842
Hi, @VertigoBE

Observe the similarities between your .500 Nitro Express and the action of this Auguste Francotte .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector

You’ve got a really beautiful looking rifle there. Styled after the infamous London made William Evans boxlock ejectors, no doubt.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.33.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.33.37 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.33.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.33.38 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Hi, @VertigoBE

Observe the similarities between your .500 Nitro Express and the action of this Auguste Francotte .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector

You’ve got a really beautiful looking rifle there. Styled after the infamous London made William Evans boxlock ejectors.
I see the similar rivetting, but otherwise quite a few differences...

I see the similar rivetting, but otherwise quite a few differences...
@Red Leg could definitely chime in on this much more efficiently than myself. But I have seen more Belgium made guild double rifles built on modified Auguste Francotte actions than perhaps any other (esp. from the pre World War II vintage).

You see… Auguste Francotte actions were to the Belgian gun making industry, what Webley & Scott actions were to the British gun making industry back in those days.

If you want to do some historic digging:

https://littlegun.be/arme belge/a a artisans identifies gb.htm + the proofmarks file hopefully in annex.

When you go to one of our many gifted gunsmiths around liege (even brussels) to fix the pin and stock, if you pick an older one, they may also inform you / recognise the work.

And nice rifle. Hope it shoots good.
It will be a fun project anyhow.

Nope attachment went wrong, just google "belgian proof marks", its 8 pages of all stamps and year codes

Last edited:
Last edited:
@VertigoBE

The 1949 year stamp listed on this chart looks similar to the stamp on your .500 Nitro Express

But it could also be 1938 depending upon how the cursive is interpreted.
actually, your 1949 makes more sense I think.
Action built in 1949, inspected and proofed between 1952 and 1960

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorineKee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !