500 Nitro Express 3.25” - newbie question

krusin

Reaction score
I’m new to double rifles. Just bought 500 NE with 3.25” chamber. So, I have a newbie question:
Can I shoot 3” ammo in a case I loose luggage or run out of 3 1/4 ammunition on safari?

Yes you can fire it but will it regulate is the question, depends what country you may loose your baggage in but not many will have a solution of .500NE ammo.

If you test it just make sure to clean the chambers well so you get no build up of carbon or crud that hampers loading the normal 3 1/4in .

I shot .500NE 3in in my .500NE 3 1/4in chambered rifle but that was a single shot.

Most .500NE doubles are 3in the 3 1/4 being a hold over from the BP period .

What is yours, can you show us ?

Thank you for your reply. It has a Butch Searcy action. See pictures below. I am good at reloading, but all my experience is with much smaller cartridges. The largest in my arsenal up until now was the 338 Lapua Magnum. I have a lot of Varget and Retumbo left from the good old days. Would I be able to use it for this gun? I'm reading about wads and fillers for these big cartridges. Should I use them if the case is not completely full?
image8.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image5.jpeg

I’m new to double rifles. Just bought 500 NE with 3.25” chamber. So, I have a newbie question:
Can I shoot 3” ammo in a case I loose luggage or run out of 3 1/4 ammunition on safari?

You can, in the long there could be theoretically slight damage to the end of the chamber, but not sure. As for the loss of ammunition, this is extremely rare and if, I also doubt that you can find in a short time 500 Nitro Express cartridges in an African Country.

Thank you for your reply. It has a Butch Searcy action. See pictures below. I am good at reloading, but all my experience is with much smaller cartridges. The largest in my arsenal up until now was the 338 Lapua Magnum. I have a lot of Varget and Retumbo left from the good old days. Would I be able to use it for this gun? I'm reading about wads and fillers for these big cartridges. Should I use them if the case is not completely full?

Reloading such cartridges is not always easy.

I reload the cartridges 577 Nitro Express and 600 Nitro Express and had initially big problems to find the right loads. Due to the large capacity of the cases of these cartridges, the sort of powder and the charge must be carefully chosen. Ignition problems can occur very quickly. The use of fillers is also sometimes recommended. Reading the manual Shooting the British Double Rifle from Graeme Wright can be very helpful, unfortunately it's hard to find at the moment.

I've been searching for this manual for a few weeks now. Prices are ridiculous and it's still impossible to find.

I've been searching for this manual for a few weeks now. Prices are ridiculous and it's still impossible to find.

I can send you the relevant sections when I get home. What info are you looking for?

Thank you, JoninCo. I really appreciate your willingness to help. But, actually, I have found and bought a used copy. Allegedly, it's in the mail. I might ask for your help if I don't receive it for whatever reason.

Double rifles tend to be picky with ammunition. If you lose your ammunition, your gun is likely out of commission.

Stock plenty of ammo and if possible, put some in multiple bags. Have a backup gun in a common cartridge.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a .416 Rem Mag bolt action rifle that I am planning to take with me as well.

Reloading such cartridges is not always easy.

I reload the cartridges 577 Nitro Express and 600 Nitro Express and had initially big problems to find the right loads. Due to the large capacity of the cases of these cartridges, the sort of powder and the charge must be carefully chosen. Ignition problems can occur very quickly. The use of fillers is also sometimes recommended. Reading the manual Shooting the British Double Rifle from Graeme Wright can be very helpful, unfortunately it's hard to find at the moment.
A new edition will be out shortly .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hispeeeed

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair