$500,000 Mule Deer

I don't think there's a high fence involved with governor tags
There many other things he could have commented and complained about this scenario. “Guided”, “cameras”, “10 people hunting he shoots” these might be, and almost certainly are true. However, JJ owns it. His governors tag elk from AZ JJ is quoted “it’s obvious these guys are the hunters and I’m just here” when thanking his guide crew that helped him get his bull

But @fourfive8 statement is just not factual… not sure what he is basing that on. jealousy maybe? Haha

Dang and to think my grandpa & friends paid a whopping sum of $15 per year to hunt as a non resident and kill these,
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg
IMG_1316.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

Thank you for sharing
I think Recognize those names on the last picture.
Graves was a famous Texas ranger in the ranger hall of fame
he , my grandfather and A.T Weindler pulled out some monsters every year in the strip

There is no high fence, this is on a Island in the Great Salt Lake or what used to be a island. The deer are free to come and go, they prefer to stay on their own.

The island is a State Park and anyone can go and visit it. They also have a bison hunt on it.

Yeah but for him it’s probably - all-of-the-above!! Good for him!
Forbes puts him at $1.7 Billion. Looks like media picked up on fact he was an African hunter and he got some bad press unfortunately. A 2020 article says he no longer hunts in Africa. Too bad, but at least he’s still hunting North America.

Dang and to think my grandpa & friends paid a whopping sum of $15 per year to hunt as a non resident and kill these,View attachment 569451View attachment 569452View attachment 569453View attachment 569454
One thing that I know is if those deer were killed in Utah was that they had hunts going clear into December on a lot of the units and that there were a lot of monsters killed down low in them.

There once was a service station in the town of Loa, Utah, that had close to a dozen mounts and all of them were over 200 inch scores.

Thank goodness he’s spending that money on a state conservation program. Not an anti hunting. Pro wolf program.
We should be thanking him for helping hunting conservation. Not making accusations slandering him.

Every quote I’ve read from him. He gives full credit to the state and the guides and outfitters. He is fully aware that the guides did the hunting. He was just the tag holder.

Last edited:
The Governor tags are usually good for a full year in Arizona.
Some guys hunt in August when the antlers are full grown but still in velvet, for a velvet covered trophy. Also November is the prime time for the rut, when the giants are a little easier to find.

There many other things he could have commented and complained about this scenario. “Guided”, “cameras”, “10 people hunting he shoots” these might be, and almost certainly are true. However, JJ owns it. His governors tag elk from AZ JJ is quoted “it’s obvious these guys are the hunters and I’m just here” when thanking his guide crew that helped him get his bull

But @fourfive8 statement is just not factual… not sure what he is basing that on. jealousy maybe? Haha
I'm definitely not a hater, that guy probably earned the money he has and he's doing the kind of stuff I'd do if I was filthy rich. Good for him, but he's definitely not shootin giant mulies inside a high fence.

If you read the write up Antelope Island is not a high fence. There have been many giant mule deer off that area because it is managed for that purpose. The guy is helping the cause, everyone should be happy folks like that support the right to hunt.

10 big dangerous game safaris in places like Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania or one mule deer for a few days. I know what I’d choose.
At 500K for the tag he likely isn't choosing. Rather suspect his trophy room covers a lot of geography. ;)

It is useful to remember that the vast majority of folks in this country stomping the brush in Pennsylvania, or Georgia, or a Texas sendero think of everyone of us in exactly the same way.

I have been on 3 of these Utah Gov Tag deer hunts. (Not as the hunter, obviously). The auction winner can hunt in any open season and must obey the laws pertaining to the unit(s) they choose to hunt. They can hunt archery, Mzzldr and again in the rifle season. Early or late. All that I observed were fair chase.....but....400 trail cameras had been used, and a scout team of 5-15 avid young hunters had been out all Summer. It is not my style of hunting, but then, I couldn't afford it either, so it is easy to condemn. And I use a guide and outfitter in Africa. My total assessment is that it raises a lot of money. I hope that money goes toward conservation. I think it probably does........FWB

“It is useful to remember that the vast majority of folks in this country stomping the brush in Pennsylvania, or Georgia, or a Texas sendero think of everyone of us in exactly the same way.”

Exactly ! 99% of the population would say that exact thing about us.

(Man look at that guy spending $5000 for an animal that the tracker and PH did all the work to kill. All he did was pay and shoot. )

As for the camera's, Utah's new laws concerning them kind of shoots down that argument.

@Firebird .........interestingly, I saw the check that the man I accompanied wrote to his outfitter...........it was $53,000. Less than I expected. He gave a tip in cash, an amount that I didn't see...Just kind of interesting I thought..........FWB

At 500K for the tag he likely isn't choosing. Rather suspect his trophy room covers a lot of geography. ;)

It is useful to remember that the vast majority of folks in this country stomping the brush in Pennsylvania, or Georgia, or a Texas sendero think of everyone of us in exactly the same way.
Very fair point. I think none of us on this forum have an understanding of that type of disposable income and probably never will. However, if I’m ever valued in the billions some African outfitters better get ready for some big safaris. The mule deer will be pretty safe. In the mean time, I’m glad these tags bring in the money they are designed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syncro76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?