.450/400 2 3/8 modernized?

Reaction score
Media
Good evening gentleman, I have a question for our reloaders as well as our gunsmiths.

Has anyone tried a modern loading for .450/400 3 3/8 @Von Gruff and I were discussing the cartridge and I believe it would be possible to build a falling block rifle in this chambering using a martini action.

Has anyone attempted to rebarrel a martini Henry rifle? If so what challenges did you face? I have a good action in a rifle I recently purchased however the barrel is beyond salvation. My local gun smith claims it is an easy action to work on but I'd like to confirm that before attempting a build.

When you get to that stage I have a very simple way to safely lighten the trigger without compromising any of the original internals.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.57.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.57.29 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.57.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.57.28 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge in that link unfortunately I don't speak or read German so I'm unable to use it.
Right click and hit translate to english

I have no direct knowledge of the Martini actions, however several years back I discussed the possibility of a build on one with C.P.Donnelly (now deceased) and he spoke favorably of them and had no concerns regarding their use.

The cartridge is still produced by RWS under the desigation 10,3x60R.

You will find a lot of reloading data.

Popular in the canton Graubuenden in Switzerland, where it is minimum caliber to hunt with,..... single shot and iron sights only.

I have a double rifle in this caliber, fine gun.

HWL

This is how you can lighten the trigger weight on the martini without any change other than inserting a smalll half washer. First dissasemble the action
DSCN0538.JPG
Make a washer for under the trigger spring and cut it in half
DSCN0540.JPG

Put it in position that raises the head of the spring and reduced the pressure camming against the trigger.
DSCN0541.JPG
DSCN0542.JPG

You can see the effect it has here with the half washer under the head of the spring (on the right) lowers the pressure that holdes the trigger abainst the sear.
trigger spring lightening.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,