45/70

If you'll sight in a 45-70 for MPBR on a 6" target (about 125 yard zero, give or take a couple), what you'll find is that there's no practical difference in the ballistic arc out to around 160 or 165 yards whether you're firing a 300 gr at 2100 or a 425 gr (or heavier) at 1600+.

The nice thing about handloading for lead bullets is that any published safe load for a jacketed bullet of same weight is safe for lead/lead alloy.

My magic load for 405, 425, and 525 gr lead bullets is 41.0 gr RL7. There really is no increased value in shooting the faster, lighter bullets, even though it looks like it on paper.

Definitely a lot for a deer to take, and if you are using lead core bullets, that's typical. Try changing to solid copper- namely maker 300gr or peregrine 310gr bushmaster. You will be far happier with the results on most everything. Moose, bison, eland- may want to go with cast, but I myself will stick the peregrine for everything. Never cared much about 45-70 until I got a Ruger made Marlin 1895 SBL and fell in love with it. I'll take it out over the 7RM unless I'm expecting long shots. Wasn't happy with initial results with Hornady and speer factory ammo, moved to the solid copper and never looked back.
Albert, have you tried any of the Buffalo Bore loadings for .45-70? I’ve used both in my Marlin 1895 and the 405 & 350 grain both had excellent penetration on Bear and bullets held together. Now, shots were close (50 & 100 yrds) and these bullets are not very aero dynamic. They are loaded to a higher velocity then the Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr and penetrate deeper (in my limited “real hunting” testing). They also “recoil” significantly more and why I do Not use them for deer - as the Hornady perform just fine on deer.

My heaviest whitetail yet after field dresiing, using my Marlin 1895 with Winchester 300 grain HP, short range, high shoulder shot, Bullet fragments ended up a few places, the base traveled up the spinal column several in the neck. Evaluating future choices for bullets. I realize the short range was stressful on the bullet. View attachment 586703
Trogon, nice heavy looking buck — did the “shock” from the 300 gr HP blow the left antler off too? Kidding…assume he only had one antler when you pulled the trigger

Trogon, nice heavy looking buck — did the “shock” from the 300 gr HP blow the left antler off too? Kidding…assume he only had one antler when you pulled the trigger
He maybe had a meeting with a vehicle when that antler was growing? That was all I could figure with the really long brow tine. I had a short viewing window and pulled the trigger pretty quick.

Albert, have you tried any of the Buffalo Bore loadings for .45-70? I’ve used both in my Marlin 1895 and the 405 & 350 grain both had excellent penetration on Bear and bullets held together. Now, shots were close (50 & 100 yrds) and these bullets are not very aero dynamic. They are loaded to a higher velocity then the Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr and penetrate deeper (in my limited “real hunting” testing). They also “recoil” significantly more and why I do Not use them for deer - as the Hornady perform just fine on deer.

I have not tried the buffalo bore, it's cheaper for me to load the copper ones I mentioned than buy buffalo bore. Yes it would be cheaper still to buy cast instead of peregrine, but I love those bullets! I have had the Hornady come apart on deer under 50yds and will not use them for anything anymore. Plus in order to load those bullets, they trim the brass shorter than standard so it's useless to me for reloading.

2 trips to Africa with a .45-70... 2 buffalo, a black wildebeest, a zebra, and a wart hog. Zero complaints. I had not previously answered because I did not use the bullet you asked about. Based on what I have read about the Barnes bullet? I would have no concerns at the ranges you mentioned, assuming it shoots well in your rifle.
What country did you get your Buffalo in. I would like to use my bolt 45/70 for a Buffalo. I don't think I can in SA.

South Africa... Eastern Cape. Both were one shot kills at about 40 yards. The first was a frontal shot under the chin, with the bullet making it to the hindquarter. The second was a broadside trotting shot that took out the heart.

Please don't use a .45/70 unless you don't have a a flatter shooting rifle. A .30/06 with 220g bullets blows the doors off a .45/70 on anything past 100 yards.

A .30/06 with 180g bullets is fine for any PG.

I wouldn't risk a .45/70 on buffalo, unless I had no other option.

It may work out fine, but almost everyone would agree that a .375 is vastly superior option.

Last edited:
Please don't use a .45/70 unless you don't have a a flatter shooting rifle. A .30/06 with 220g bullets blows the doors off a .45/70 on anything past 100 yards.

A .30/06 with 180g bullets is fine for any PG.

I wouldn't risk a .45/70 on buffalo, unless I had no other option.

It may work out fine, but almost everyone would agree that a .375 is vastly superior option.
Safari Dave, I have very little experience on Buffalo (One Hunt in TZ) but my PH spoke very highly of the .45-70 for Buffalo, with the proper bullet (Buffalo Bore 350gr or 405 gr) he felt it was an excellent choice…..and one of the PH’s assistants carried a .450 lever action Marlin Guide gun for back up

I have not tried the buffalo bore, it's cheaper for me to load the copper ones I mentioned than buy buffalo bore. Yes it would be cheaper still to buy cast instead of peregrine, but I love those bullets! I have had the Hornady come apart on deer under 50yds and will not use them for anything anymore. Plus in order to load those bullets, they trim the brass shorter than standard so it's useless to me for reloading.
The thing about the price of ammo is that it will always be the very least expensive thing you use on a hunt, other than maybe something like a small bottle of talc for wind.

Even for white tail, I easily spend $1000-1500/year on corn, and that's just for a small 120 acre place. It's a 650 mile round trip to get there and back. Tree stands, which we don't have to buy often, are around $250. We buy the double bull ground blinds, they're around $400. I have a 4w Honda. It needs gas, too. I also have property taxes, liability insurance, electricity, and water.

In my zone, we get 2 antlered, 3 antlerless, and 1 either/or tags. Annual license + tags is $300. Even if I ever filled all 6 tags, most of the shooting is about 40 - 60 yards. It's always 1 shot per deer, so at $80/box, I might spend as much as $24 on ammo to shoot them.

Since you're a handloader, if you want some inexpensive practice rounds, I'd suggest these: https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=81&category=6&secondary=35&keywords=

A box of 200 is $58 + shipping and tax.

Attachments

• Missouri Bullet Company.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 16
The thing about the price of ammo is that it will always be the very least expensive thing you use on a hunt, other than maybe something like a small bottle of talc for wind.

Even for white tail, I easily spend $1000-1500/year on corn, and that's just for a small 120 acre place. It's a 650 mile round trip to get there and back. Tree stands, which we don't have to buy often, are around $250. We buy the double bull ground blinds, they're around $400. I have a 4w Honda. It needs gas, too. I also have property taxes, liability insurance, electricity, and water.

In my zone, we get 2 antlered, 3 antlerless, and 1 either/or tags. Annual license + tags is $300. Even if I ever filled all 6 tags, most of the shooting is about 40 - 60 yards. It's always 1 shot per deer, so at $80/box, I might spend as much as $24 on ammo to shoot them.

Since you're a handloader, if you want some inexpensive practice rounds, I'd suggest these: https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=81&category=6&secondary=35&keywords=

SGTZim, I agree, Price never factors into my choice of rifle hunting ammo - accuracy, bullet construction, & availability are my main considerations

SGTZim, I agree, Price never factors into my choice of rifle hunting ammo - accuracy, bullet construction, & availability are my main considerations
Price wouldn't be a factor for hunting rounds, if I could find better than I can load. I was simply responding that I had never tried buffalo bore due to the price. I could recreate their ammo for cheaper myself, just haven't needed to. I have not had any issues with the peregrine bullets but if I felt I needed to, wouldn't hesitate to try heavy cast. If I ever do, Missouri bullet Co was one of the ones I had looked at.

Price wouldn't be a factor for hunting rounds, if I could find better than I can load. I was simply responding that I had never tried buffalo bore due to the price. I could recreate their ammo for cheaper myself, just haven't needed to. I have not had any issues with the peregrine bullets but if I felt I needed to, wouldn't hesitate to try heavy cast. If I ever do, Missouri bullet Co was one of the ones I had looked at.
Missouri make nice practice rounds, but I like a wider meplat for the cast hunting bullets. I've killed deer with the MBCs, just prefer wider meplat. My hunting bullet have a meplat that's around 0.36 or 0.37".

The sample size is small - six animals - but I like the brass solids at Cutting Edge. Animals that die quickly, crazy penetration, and accuracy are all qualities I like.

I've had all my success with Hornady's Leverevolution 325 gr FTX and Federal Hammer Down 300 grainers. But I am thinking about trying out some loads from Underwood Ammo. They're local to me by about a half an hour, and load a few options with Lehigh Defense solids as well as some with Hornady interlocks. Might be worth playing with.

Have never had a 45-70 in Africa but did put a sick Black Angus bull down. 420grn hard cast at 1978fps. One shot to the brisket, bullet exited the hind quarter. The bull was probably 2500lb. on the hoof. Range about 60 yards. Couldn't get any closer, he had fever and was not in a good mood!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QIFFletche

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)