375h&h guidance - bullets, dies, and brass

Looks the between Barnes tsx and a-frames, if my rifle digests them well, I'll be all set.

@Hunter-Habib
As an aside, i really enjoy your stories and in-depth writings of equipment.

Looks the between Barnes tsx and a-frames, if my rifle digests them well, I'll be all set.

@Hunter-Habib
As an aside, i really enjoy your stories and in-depth writings of equipment.
Why thank you, Datchew. It’s really nothing. I just know a little about certain topics and decide to help out, now and then.

I’m a very big fan of the Barnes TSX too. But if I had to choose just one currently manufactured expanding bullet for all wild game, then it would have to be the Swift A Frame. More reliable expansion on the great cats like lion or leopard (esp. those shot over bait). In every other aspect, the Barnes TSX can reliably hold it’s own.

Why thank you, Datchew. It’s really nothing. I just know a little about certain topics and decide to help out, now and then.

I’m a very big fan of the Barnes TSX too. But if I had to choose just one currently manufactured expanding bullet for all wild game, then it would have to be the Swift A Frame. More reliable expansion on the great cats like lion or leopard (esp. those shot over bait). In every other aspect, the Barnes TSX can reliably hold it’s own.

Sage advice. Please expand on your conclusion—is that because of rate of expansion, overall design/construction, etc.

Sage advice. Please expand on your conclusion—is that because of rate of expansion, overall design/construction, etc.
The monometal bullets (e.g Barnes TSX) need to be pushed to rather high speeds in order to expand rapidly/reliably and they will frequently fail to expand properly on lions or leopards (esp. one that is shot over bait).

My preference is for old fashioned lead cored bullets with a copper/gilding metal jacket which will expand quickly on lions or leopards. But the bullets must still be well constructed (with bonded cores being even better), because the bullet must still be able to hold together so that it can penetrate well. The chest muscles of a charging African lion are best comparable to tyre rubber in terms of hardness.

I may be reading too much into this but you said here that you use Peregrine's for practice and DG[x] for hunting; what have you found out about Peregrine that puts you off to using them for hunting. I'm interested because I just this week got some Peregrine's (VRG2 & VRG3) for the 375 and the 500. All I've heard is that they are a great bullet. If you know something different please let us know.
The reasoning behind it is 100% price. Peregrine is one of the only affordable bullets that is always available in SA. I wouldn't mind hunting with it, depending on the quarry...

Just an FYI... My rifle does not like the DGX bullets, so I guess I'll be hunting with the Peregrines.
I have a love/hate relationship with DGX, maybe love/disappoint. I really thought that after the bonded the DGX it would be near perfect; flat meplet, steel jacketed lead core, relatively short. My reality from recovered bullets from buff is that they they lost a heck of a lot of weight and didn't expand well. Did the job though.

I use Redding dies for full length sizing otherwise Lee Neck collet die as this stops a bit of stretching of the case neck when it is dragged over the expander button, and the Lee FCD

82 Grains of AR2209 (H4350) and 300 grain Woodleigh SP and 68 grains of AR2206H (H4895) with the 300grain Hydros. Difference between a Hydo and Metplate solid. The Metplate solid will penetrate further but the Hydro creates a wider wound channel. Mind you the Hydo in a 416 Rigby end for ended a Cape Buffalo.

In my 416 Rigby, 375H&H (both CZ550 and Rem 700) and 2X35 cal rifles the Hydros and Woodleigh SN print to the same POI. What's not to like. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnjaPflaum

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)