375 ready to hunt

That looks ready to go, to me. That's a screaming fast load. Haven't played with RL16 yet, was this data published or free based using your pressure gauge?
There really isn't any load data for the 375 H&H improved, especially using RL16. I used my pressure gauge once I did a rough load workup to make sure I was safe.

There really isn't any load data for the 375 H&H improved, especially using RL16. I used my pressure gauge once I did a rough load workup to make sure I was safe.

5225 ft/lb is a heck of a load in the .375 case... not much that won't take cleanly.

Rbros, cudos that is one hell of a group. I too thought your velocity was / is much faster than normally achieved. So just for the heck of it I ran a QuickLoad simulation for a 26" barreled 375 H&H AI using 300 Gr. SAF(s) and Reloader 16. To get 2800 FPS it was only a shade over 12,000 lbs above the SAMI Max Pressure. I understand that QuickLoad isn't perfect, it has also been proven to be very close in most cases.
Quickload's files for the improved cases aren't quite correct with modern throat geometry. They tend to use a weird wildcat pressure method. Taking the parent case and adjusting the case capacity works much better. A couple of other things are off as well, OAL and weighing factor. Since I have a ballistic lab that will give me the pressure, I can tweak the powder burn rate as well to match up with my lots of powder. Changing this along with a weighing factor change will bring things much closer. Seems to work with all powders for me. Each time I open a new lot of powder I do a pressure test and then line things up with a few tweaks in quickload. Then any case projections I run are usually within 10-15fps.

For example, once case capacity, OAL and weighing factor are adjusted Quickload shows I'm within 25fps of what my labradar and magneto speed say and 59951 pressure (max is 62366 for a 375 H&H). This is very close to what my pressure test comes up with for pressure.

Well, thank you for making me feel like a hack at Quickload AND at shooting. A few days ago I was pretty chuffed to work up a new load that shot a 3-shot ragged hole but a significant distance from your group.

To state the obvious, that is nice shooting from a very fine rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Well, thank you for making me feel like a hack at Quickload AND at shooting. A few days ago I was pretty chuffed to work up a new load that shot a 3-shot ragged hole but a significant distance from your group.

To state the obvious, that is nice shooting from a very fine rifle. Thanks for sharing.
lol. Just trying to help. I get to cheat a little having a pressure test and having 20+ years of messing around with quick load and designing cartridges.

Sounds like you have a shooter as well!

Rbros, thanks for the reply. You obviously have a number of advantages that we don't have access to. I hope you don't mind if we ask you to "chime in" once in a while.

Rbros, thanks for the reply. You obviously have a number of advantages that we don't have access to. I hope you don't mind if we ask you to "chime in" once in a while.
Anytime, happy to help if I can.

Rbros - that is damn fine shooting and a very nice rifle brother. Makes me want to work on my marksmanship skills some more. Thx for sharing with us. I do have a technical question. For your loads for the 375HH-AI what is your cartridge OAL? or what is the distance from the bullet ogive to the lands in the bbl? and also, what is the twist rate on your Krieger bbl? 12:1? or something else? I am working up a 300g A-frame load for my 375HH and while it is not a AI chamber it is still good to compare data.

Rbros - that is damn fine shooting and a very nice rifle brother. Makes me want to work on my marksmanship skills some more. Thx for sharing with us. I do have a technical question. For your loads for the 375HH-AI what is your cartridge OAL? or what is the distance from the bullet ogive to the lands in the bbl? and also, what is the twist rate on your Krieger bbl? 12:1? or something else? I am working up a 300g A-frame load for my 375HH and while it is not a AI chamber it is still good to compare data.
@JG26Irish_2 the barrel is a 12 twist. I run h4895 with a 270 hornady for my fireform load. My coal is right at 3.7”. What powder are you going to run?

Last edited:
@JG26Irish_2 the barrel is a 12 twist. I run h4895 with a 270 hornady for my fireform load. My coal is right at 3.7”. What powder are you going to run?
My Powder choice is an open question at this time. I started with some bullet testing using factory loads to see if it shoots 300g A-Frames or Barnes TSX the best for the expanders and North Fork cup point or Woodleigh Hydros for the solids the best. It is a process since I kept changing the scopes also. As of today, it seems to shoot the Barnes and Swift bullets equally well but does not feed the North Fork bullets reliably. The rifle feeds the Woodleighs flawlessly. Therefore, I plan to use A-Frames and/or TSX for DG and PG and Woodleigh Hydros only for DG followup shots. Final choice for DG first shots is going to come down to which of the two are most accurate as I believe they are both up to the task as well as which of the two shoot most like my Woodleigh solids. At least for me, I like to have a high degree of confidence in my accuracy and precision before I pull the trigger on my game tgt. It help my overall confidence when hunting. I probably put too much time into this sort of prep but it is part of the fun of planning any hunting trip and I have been milking that for all it is worth.

I have a bunch of the Barnes ready for the plains game and will use those mostly for plains game. As for powder? I am looking at R15 and Varget as two most likely options but have not loaded these larger cartridges in the past. My past experience reloading was never larger than a 308. For the 375, I am hoping to keep it in the 2500 to 2550 fps range as long as the pressure stays in the green zone. Plan to stick with Fed215 primers.

Those are over the 375 Weatherby velocities. I did see that this is a 375 H&H Improved. The 375 H&H has been killing DG and PG with 300 grs bullets at 2450 fps.

My Powder choice is an open question at this time. I started with some bullet testing using factory loads to see if it shoots 300g A-Frames or Barnes TSX the best for the expanders and North Fork cup point or Woodleigh Hydros for the solids the best. It is a process since I kept changing the scopes also. As of today, it seems to shoot the Barnes and Swift bullets equally well but does not feed the North Fork bullets reliably. The rifle feeds the Woodleighs flawlessly. Therefore, I plan to use A-Frames and/or TSX for DG and PG and Woodleigh Hydros only for DG followup shots. Final choice for DG first shots is going to come down to which of the two are most accurate as I believe they are both up to the task as well as which of the two shoot most like my Woodleigh solids. At least for me, I like to have a high degree of confidence in my accuracy and precision before I pull the trigger on my game tgt. It help my overall confidence when hunting. I probably put too much time into this sort of prep but it is part of the fun of planning any hunting trip and I have been milking that for all it is worth.

I have a bunch of the Barnes ready for the plains game and will use those mostly for plains game. As for powder? I am looking at R15 and Varget as two most likely options but have not loaded these larger cartridges in the past. My past experience reloading was never larger than a 308. For the 375, I am hoping to keep it in the 2500 to 2550 fps range as long as the pressure stays in the green zone. Plan to stick with Fed215 primers.
I would go with Varget over RL15. RL15 isn't very temp stable. When I used it long ago in match shooting I had to have a morning load and afternoon load. Varget is much more stable and should get you in that speed range. Interesting on the North Forks not feeding. I've been trying to get some 300gr ones to try out, but they have been out of stock for awhile now.

Getting a couple of rifles ready to go for my July trip. Finally settled on a load for my 375 h&h improved. Running 300gr a frames at 2800. Target is 5 shots at 100 yds using the bullet hole as my aim point. Swapped out the scope for a Nightforce NX8 1-8 and now it’s ready to roll. Now to get the plains game rifle ready.
View attachment 589364
View attachment 589365
Beautiful gun. Is it cerokoted? If so what color?

Beautiful gun. Is it cerokoted? If so what color?
I use a special coating the guys at KG Industries developed for me 18 years ago. It goes into the metal pores and protects. Alot more time consuming for application, but the finish is as close to a smooth bluing look as I can get. The downside with cerakote is that it is just a ceramic paint and it is thick. When it wears, which all coatings do, there is nothing to protect the metal and it will eventually start to peel off or rust if not stainless. I use Cerakote on all of my stocks, but never on the metal. I just need more protection than it provides.

I use a special coating the guys at KG Industries developed for me 18 years ago. It goes into the metal pores and protects. Alot more time consuming for application, but the finish is as close to a smooth bluing look as I can get. The downside with cerakote is that it is just a ceramic paint and it is thick. When it wears, which all coatings do, there is nothing to protect the metal and it will eventually start to peel off or rust if not stainless. I use Cerakote on all of my stocks, but never on the metal. I just need more protection than it provides.
Will this coating stick to stainless barrels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beandog

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….