.35 Whelen & CFE223 - magnum or standard primer?

always run WLR primers
@wolfhunter
The 35 AI will need about four grains more powder to equal the Whelen. I have an AI version and find it a waste of time. Fire forming cases then reloading equals half the barrel life for an extra 100-150 fps. To me not worth the hassle.
Yes the AI is a fractionly better but do you need more than 2,700fos with a 159 gn or just over 2,400 fps with a 310gn.
I get over 1,899 fps with a Woodleigh 225 gn and close to 2,800fos with an Barnes copy the 229 gn Australian made atomic 29. Don't need any more than that.
Just my opinion owning both.
Bob

Late to this party. I will make my points, based on my ~50 years of loading;

1. There is no substitute for testing. Always take whatever someone else says with a grain of salt...even if their opinion is based on test data. Lot #s of primers/powder vary. Chambers/barrels vary. Brass varies. Loading techniques vary. It all varies!!

2. Loading density is, in my opinion, more important than total grains of powder, when it comes to the mag vs non-mag primer question. I have done a fair bit of work with mid-range loads in cases as small as 22 Hornet and as large as 470 Nitro. Any load with less than around 75% loading density with stick powder or 85% with ball powder, in a case with >50g capacity, generally ends up with a magnum primer due the better consistency afforded. But primers are never just substituted. Always work up. Lower density loads can be a nightmare with a marginal primer...even in smaller cases with less than 50gr capacity. Test!

3. Low temps definitely matter! It is simple thermodynamics. All else being equal, I will entertain magnum primers more readily when loading ammo for cold (below 0F) weather. And I always try to do my load testing at temps approximating the temps I will hunt in. Old habit from before the days of temp stable powders...less of an issue today, with some powders. Not sure if primer thermodynamics have changed as much?

Always remember #1 above, even if you forget the rest. And use a chronograph. No excuses any longer. My Oehler M33 cost an entire month's pay for a Marine Corporal in 1978. Not the case today!

I know what the experts say, but be damned if i can tell any difference between the two, My chrono graph shows about 100 fps or less in extreme cases and little or no differeccd in POI in most cases but that varies as to caliber..Over all I get better accuracy with my favorite primer the FC210. I would recommend using fed 210 in the 06 case and 215s in belted magnums but don't over think it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,