338 WinMag out of a 20inch barrel?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I was finally able to pick up a rifle I've been trying to find now for several years, A Ruger Guide Gun.

While I was initially on the hunt for one in 416 Ruger, I ended up going with a 338 WinMag model, a more "sensible" option

The Ruger Guide Gun comes standard with a 20 inch barrel. It looks like most 338WM rifles tend to be in the 24" to 26" range so what kind of performance will I be expecting out of the 20?

I'm assuming it will be approximately a 100 fps penalty in velocity. I bought this rifle to fit the role of a long range big game hunter for Western Canada (Elk, Moose. Bear, Caribou).

What would the effective range be?

Last edited:
For me, it would be 50 yards less than it was with a 24" barrel. Then again, with Hornady Superformance ammo you might make that back up. Shoot it over a chronograph and see where you end up. I would hedge a bet that the gun/caliber/20" barrel can make ethical kills further then most should consider shooting it.

I have a Sako AV with a 20" barrel and getting 2750 fps with 225g Barnes

338WM ammo seems to be less common than I thought. What are some of the more potent loads for elk/moose?
Is your question regarding getting something more powerful then the .338wm ? I see that ammo regularly for sale and also in hunting camps - seems popular but since I do Not Shoot it — I might be wrong. Although I’ve never shot a Mosse - have taken several Elk with .30-06 out to 250 yrds, I think Elk are considered “tougher” then Moose but others with more REAL experience might add more value then my “hearsay”. Friends of mine have taken Moose with .308 & .30-06, good bullet placement always trips caliber.

Is your question regarding getting something more powerful then the .338wm ? I see that ammo regularly for sale and also in hunting camps - seems popular but since I do Not Shoot it — I might be wrong. Although I’ve never shot a Mosse - have taken several Elk with .30-06 out to 250 yrds, I think Elk are considered “tougher” then Moose but others with more REAL experience might add more value then my “hearsay”. Friends of mine have taken Moose with .308 & .30-06, good bullet placement always trips caliber.
Looking for some of the "hotter" 338 WinMag factory loads.

Searching locally here in not seeing a ton of it in stock. Most of what I'm seeing is from Hornady, Winchester and Sako offerings.

Searching locally here in not seeing a ton of it in stock. Most of what I'm seeing is from Hornady, Winchester and Sako offerings.
Hotter .338wm loads? Define “how hot”? (Loosen few teeth or knock them completely out?)

338WM ammo seems to be less common than I thought. What are some of the more potent loads for elk/moose?
Personally, I use 185 Grain Bullets for Deer & Caribou, 210 for Elk (both to get some distance with less elevation concern). If I were to hunt Moose I would go 250/275 grains simply to get better penetration with off angle shots. I've taken several animals with the 338 but more with the 340 Weatherby. Again, less elevation adjustment with 340 WM.

Hotter .338wm loads? Define “how hot”? (Loosen few teeth or knock them completely out?)
Haha, hoping to keep all teeth in tact. My 458 already does a good job at loosening those up.

I'm still reading up on the ballistics of various loads but am leaning towards 225-250 grain loads that sit at the highest end of the velocity spectrum as I will be losing some of that speed through the shorter barrel.

Looking at some examples I'm seeing:

Hornady SST 225gr - 2,840 fps
Hornady ELD-X 230 gr - 2,2810 fps
Winchester Accubond 225 gr - 2,800fps
Remington Core Lokt 225gr - 2,780 fps
Remington Core Lokt 250gr - 2,660 fps

Haha, hoping to keep all teeth in tact. My 458 already does a good job at loosening those up.

I'm still reading up on the ballistics of various loads but am leaning towards 225-250 grain loads that sit at the highest end of the velocity spectrum as I will be losing some of that speed through the shorter barrel.

Looking at some examples I'm seeing:

Hornady SST 225gr - 2,840 fps
Hornady ELD-X 230 gr - 2,2810 fps
Winchester Accubond 225 gr - 2,800fps
Remington Core Lokt 225gr - 2,780 fps
Remington Core Lokt 250gr - 2,660 fps
I find that lighter grain bullets are easier to shoot with the recoil reduction they offer. Especially if shooting long distance from the prone position. I also always wear safety glasses (even when hunting). Saves from getting scope ring with these quicker recoiling rifles.

Since this covid bs, there has not been the supply of 338 Winchester prior to. It appears to be slowly returning to the shelves.

Last year my son bought the same rifle that you have. I eventually want to load 210 - 225 grain TSX / TTSX for it. I don't expect the shorter barrel velocity loss to hamper its effectiveness at the distances that it will be used.

I had my .338 Ruger cut to 20" 35 years ago, nothing I have shot with it complained about the 4" bbl reduction.
I like the federal premium loads w/ 250 gr Nosler partitions. Shoot a group the size of your thumbnail at 100 yds. I can't load better than that.

I like Ruger rifles and love the 338 WM cartridge. The concept of the short barrel on the Guide gun is a rifle that’s carried a lot and shot a little. Personally, I am not crazy about the utilitarian look of the Ruger Guide gun. The report from the 20 inch barrel must be significantly more than from a 24 inch barrel. Even the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger, which were designed for a 20 inch barrel, are more pleasant to shoot with a 23 inch barrel.

Personally, I use 185 Grain Bullets for Deer & Caribou, 210 for Elk (both to get some distance with less elevation concern). If I were to hunt Moose I would go 250/275 grains simply to get better penetration with off angle shots. I've taken several animals with the 338 but more with the 340 Weatherby. Again, less elevation adjustment with 340 WM.
Are you aware of any factory 275 grain or 300 grain loadings? I know Winchester used to offer it in 300 grain but today 250 is the largest I'm seeing.

Hendershots offers the 275 gr Swift A Frame. I bought some several years ago but they didn’t group too well out of my 24 inch barrel.

I was finally able to pick up a rifle I've been trying to find now for several years, A Ruger Guide Gun.

While I was initially on the hunt for one in 416 Ruger, I ended up going with a 338 WinMag model, a more "sensible" option

The Ruger Guide Gun comes standard with a 20 inch barrel. It looks like most 338WM rifles tend to be in the 24" to 26" range so what kind of performance will I be expecting out of the 20?

I'm assuming it will be approximately a 100 fps penalty in velocity. I bought this rifle to fit the role of a long range big game hunter for Western Canada (Elk, Moose. Bear, Caribou).

What would the effective range be?

"Effective range" would be a very long way, now the shooter being able to utilize that effective range is an entirely different matter. I have several 338wm rifles, I could take 100+fps off the loads I use and still have way more than enough for an elk further that I am going to shoot, and I tend to have a longer accepting range than most.

Hendershots offers the 275 gr Swift A Frame. I bought some several years ago but they didn’t group too well out of my 24 inch barrel.
I have the same ones but have not loaded any in 338 or 340 (yet). Waiting for the right hunt.

I really liked the Winchester Accubond load in my 338WM when I hunted moose/elk. Mine is a Ruger rifle but with 24” barrel.
I mostly handload Woodleigh 225gr pp and have used it on local Aussie game as well as African pg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….