300wm rifle scope

I have a 300wm with a nightforce nx8 4-32x on it. getting the itch to swap the scope out. Looking for ideas.
Needs to be tough, for horseback travel, utv/atv and overseas .
like it to be lighter,
needs to have good light transmission.
I like to be able to dial it up for shots out to 700yards. Even though I wont shoot at game past 500.
leaning towards a Leupold 4-14 cds /zl but throw some ideas at me.
Since I bought a Tract Toric I've been telling anyone that'll listen how happy I am with it. I have the 4-20 PRS with Mil reticle, they have a 3-15 that would likely fit your needs. Schott glass, locking elevation turret, capped windage, ffp, built very well.

Since I bought a Tract Toric I've been telling anyone that'll listen how happy I am with it. I have the 4-20 PRS with Mil reticle, they have a 3-15 that would likely fit your needs. Schott glass, locking elevation turret, capped windage, ffp, built very well.
Sorry.... 2.5-15

I have been playing around with Zeiss v4 and v6 and quite satisfied with their tactile knobs and forgiving eyebox.

I’ve had good experience with the durability of the swaro z6 and Z8.
I’d think about how long you will keep the rifle and scope and how much you will use it. If it is a long term rifle with many days a year of use, I’d recommend really investing in the best glass you can buy. Don’t end up buying two scopes, the first as a deal, then the second as the one you really wanted and should have gotten in the first place.

I have a older Leupold lrp 25x on my 300 WM and it's feeling a little tired. Especially as I'm getting older. I like the idea of the 32x offerings from nightforce but just don't really have the $ to drop on a scope right now as I'm getting my latest factory off the ground. Perhaps in the near future I'll upgrade.

For me personally that’s WAY to much magnification. I really like the 3-18 power range and on my S&B 5-25’s rarely go over 18 even when shooting at a mile.

My personal optics choices (currently own all of them) are Schmidt & Bender, Swaro, Khales, Nightforce (ATACR), Leupold (VX6/VX5, Mark6/5), Bushnell Elite Tactical (XRS2). If light gathering is your main complaint you’ll want to step up from the NX8 glass. Remember the higher the magnification, the less light transmission you’re going to get. You might be better served by something in the 3-18 range. Depending upon budget the VX6 would be a great option and one of the more affordable choices

I hunt with the 300WM a lot, have 3 rifles all with some version of the Leupold VX6 2-12X42 with CDS elevation turrets. The turrets lock on my zero, 200 yards, and are calibrated for my favorite load, Barnes 180 grain TTSX. My personal limit on a first shot at a game animal is 500 yards, but most are taken inside 300. I like both the custom dial and an uncluttered ballistic reticle, with a central red dot, like the Leupold LR duplex or B&C reticles, but also use the same setup with a simple duplex or a German #4.

Anyway, for the 180 TTSX, I know I’ll be 1.5” high at 100, on at 200, 6” low at 300. I’m not dialing or worrying about the drop for shots in this range, which is most of them. Rarely, the shots are longer and I’ll dial if I have time or use the reticle if I don’t. As an example, I had a 400 yard shot at a wounded zebra in Namibia and very little time to take him before he reached cover. This is the LR duplex reticle I used to make a successful snap shot:

IMG_1236.png

My bottom line here is that, for me, the best combination of value and utility for these rifles is the Leupold VX6 HD 2-12X42 FireDot. I have also used and like the VX5 HD 3-15X44.

I hunt with the 300WM a lot, have 3 rifles all with some version of the Leupold VX6 2-12X42 with CDS elevation turrets. The turrets lock on my zero, 200 yards, and are calibrated for my favorite load, Barnes 180 grain TTSX. My personal limit on a first shot at a game animal is 500 yards, but most are taken inside 300. I like both the custom dial and an uncluttered ballistic reticle, with a central red dot, like the Leupold LR duplex or B&C reticles, but also use the same setup with a simple duplex or a German #4.

Anyway, for the 180 TTSX, I know I’ll be 1.5” high at 100, on at 200, 6” low at 300. I’m not dialing or worrying about the drop for shots in this range, which is most of them. Rarely, the shots are longer and I’ll dial if I have time or use the reticle if I don’t. As an example, I had a 400 yard shot at a wounded zebra in Namibia and very little time to take him before he reached cover. This is the LR duplex reticle I used to make a successful snap shot:

View attachment 594777
My bottom line here is that, for me, the best combination of value and utility for these rifles is the Leupold VX6 HD 2-12X42 FireDot. I have also used and like the VX5 HD 3-15X44.
I am really leaning towards a vx5/vx6 max of 15/18 x. How do these gather light? I have a few Leupolds and they have always served me well.

Anyway, for the 180 TTSX, I know I’ll be 1.5” high at 100, on at 200, 6” low at 300. I’m not dialing or worrying about the drop for shots in this range, which is most of them.

This is my ammo as well and I concur. First off, I don't think there is a better 30 cal ammo. Those drops are exactly what I was seeing. I had mine at a 100 yd zero for RSA and when I got home I re-zeroed to 200.

I feel like he 3-5x44mm is a perfect fit for that ammo/caliber.

I haven't even felt the need to get the turret since I don't think I'll be shooting over 300 at this point.

I am really leaning towards a vx5/vx6 max of 15/18 x. How do these gather light? I have a few Leupolds and they have always served me well.
I like the 42/44mm objective size in terms of weight, mounting height and it’s bright enough for me, but Leupold makes the 3-18 with a 50mm objective as well.

Gee….after reading the comments I feel a little bit lonely….

Most of my hunting rifles wear either a 1.5 to 6 variable or a 4x fixed.

I’ve never felt that I needed more magnification than that for deer, sheep, thar and chamois.

IMG_5840.jpeg
Photo625123269783_inner_123-62-606-66-123-921-606-921.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
However….when I was a young fella I did like big scopes with parallax adjustments. This is my old 300 win Mag wearing a 3 to 9 Leupold…..long since retired…..for years I thought that was the greatest hunting rifle in existence.

IMG_3821.jpeg

R Eight
I am with you on the lower power scopes. Never saw a need for the magnification mentioned above.
BUT to each his own.

I really wish leupold and other scope manufacturers would start making a nice fixed 4 power scope, often its all the zoom I need and there something nice about not worrying the scopes on the wrong power. Even the 3-9 range scopes I seem to keep them on 4x most of the time, I think we just like the higher power scope for when we're shooting paper.

4 x S&B on the Rigby 30/06 and a. 4x Kahles one the Sako in 308.

I’m another who would love to see the scope manufactures reintroduce their 4x and lower magnification scopes.

All my vari-power scopes live on 3x .

IMG_6312.jpeg
IMG_4331.jpeg

Leupold mark 5 would be a good one. FFP and not super heavy. I think they have a 3.6-18x44. I have a vx6 also but like the mark 5 better. The new mark 4 is really nice if you can find one. I saw one at scheels in rapid city and it was a nice scope for the price but I’m not sure if they have them listed online.

That being said I just put a nx8 2.5-20 on my 7prc. haven’t spent a ton of time behind it but they are definitely built better. I will have to check it out at low light and see how it compares to the mark 5.

I also just bought a Burris xtr 3 but haven’t mounted it on anything yet. Seems like a really good scope too. My buddies calls it his Kmart kahles. He said he likes it as much as his mark 5 and it’s a lot cheaper.

Leica amplus 6 would get my vote. That's what I run on my 300 wm. It does a superb job in low light. I have the 56mm. Now...I would also take a look at the trijicon tenmile hx...I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. The leica is better in lowlight and has clearer glass. Imo it is better thr swaro z6 I have in low light and clearer to my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaR92

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !