1917 Winchester(?) Enfield .416 Taylor

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
This is for all of the “Wizards in Oz” who customize their Enfields in many different cartridges and produce fantastic shooting rifles! I saw this for sale on Gun Broker here in the U.S. this evening.

D85870BE-59E6-4DF1-95B1-D646510D4977.png
1BA01ABE-8BF2-4DD8-9B17-81CDDD962887.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It has two things I like: Winchester 1917 action and a (CP) Donnelly barrel. The rest of the gun and the seller I have no information.

Another boob that doesn't know how to spell "brake" and has one his rifle!:mad::confused::D

Not a dang thing Ray B. LOL.:ROFLMAO::confused:

I guess I didn’t know Winchester built Enfields? I thought Remington did? Anyway, I thought this rifle is overpriced, but I like the conversion to .416 Taylor. There’s also a Remington 1917 in .416 Rigby on GB for sale. But from the description, it sounds like the Rigby cartridge has already taken a toll on that rifle. Both rifles have interesting cartridge choices for rechambered military rifles I thought?

This is for all of the “Wizards in Oz” who customize their Enfields in many different cartridges and produce fantastic shooting rifles! I saw this for sale on Gun Broker here in the U.S. this evening.

View attachment 332493 View attachment 332492
CoElkHunter
The M17 Enfield was made by Winchester, Remington and the Remington subsidiary Eddystone.
In PO Ackley blow up tests the Enfield prove to be a stronger action than the Mauser. It was strong enough and large enough for Art Alpin to build his range of large A Square line of cartridges from including the 500 A Square. The action is more than capable of handling the 416 you mentioned.
A little known fact is that H&H built some of their 375s on the M17's
The action is long enough to handle magnum length cartridges but magazine box, feed rails and ramp needs to be altered. A lot of people don't realize that the P14 bolt fits the M17's and usually doesn't need the bolt face altered for most magnum rounds, just the bolt stop needs to be changed.
Looking at the rifle and knowing the work involved plus the stock the price is not out Landis for such a job.
If the job was done on a double square bridge mauser you wouldn't be able to afford it.
My gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone built a beautiful 505 Gibbs on a M17 action. The labor for that including the stock making was over $2,000 Australian and that was mates rates. That didn't include the barrel, action or the timber for the stock.
All up I would say it's good value for money.
I do love my P14/M17's
20200131_113934.jpg

2 of mine so you know I'm not talking crap. The laminate stock is a 35 Whelen AI built to model 30s Remington specs,lightened action and flat floor plate instead of the guppy belly.
Cheers mate Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I didn’t know Winchester built Enfields? I thought Remington did? Anyway, I thought this rifle is overpriced, but I like the conversion to .416 Taylor. There’s also a Remington 1917 in .416 Rigby on GB for sale. But from the description, it sounds like the Rigby cartridge has already taken a toll on that rifle. Both rifles have interesting cartridge choices for rechambered military rifles I thought?
CoElkHunter
Pity you don't live in Australia mate I'm selling the 35 Whelen AI.
With dies and about 60 fire formed cases for $1700 Australian dollars translates into about 1,200 US dollars.
Cheers mate Bob

I only see the one photograph, so can't tell what the barrel inscriptions show, but if it is inscribed in cursive C.P.Donnelly Grants Pass, OR then the rebarrel was done by CP Donnelly and when he did a rebarrel he worked over the action and got everything to work properly. I recall he did like Dayton Traister triggers. However CP retired about 15 years ago and passed away about 10 years ago, so what has happened to the rifle in the interim I do not know.

:LOL::LOL:It figures the guy from "down under" posts his pics upside down right?:D:D OY! LOL! Oh my word!:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle:;):D:eek::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sestoppelman
You could stand on your head to look at them. They're the right way up down here. Remember we might be at the bottom of the world but at least we get to God you guys up.
Haha, they will be turned around later. At least I know you read my blurb.

Too right mate!:confused:o_O If I wanted to stand on my head all the time I would move to OZ!! LOL!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Too right mate!:confused:o_O If I wanted to stand on my head all the time I would move to OZ!! LOL!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We reckon it your mob standing on their heads. Haha no one wins.
Standing on your head give a different perspective on life we see things that others don't because we are more down to earth instead of being oxygen deprived from standing up. On our h wad the blood flow is better to the brain that has to make us smarter them.
The photo might be upside down, but we are that smart from the blood rush some one else fixes it so you folks up north can see as clearly as we do.
Cheers mate Bob

We reckon it your mob standing on their heads. Haha no one wins.
Standing on your head give a different perspective on life we see things that others don't because we are more down to earth instead of being oxygen deprived from standing up. On our h wad the blood flow is better to the brain that has to make us smarter them.
The photo might be upside down, but we are that smart from the blood rush some one else fixes it so you folks up north can see as clearly as we do.
Cheers mate Bob
:D Beers:

I stood on the equator in Ecuador so by definitions noted above, to be upright I should have laid down. But then, I'd have to figure out if I wanted to be upright or upside down, depending on which way I was laying.
Ray B
You and See are a funny pair of of buggers, now you've even I'm confused, I thought this was about an M17.
Cheers
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubeteco

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)