17 Mach 2

@Hogpatrol Wow....you bought into this cartridge bigtime. Now I've got my toes in the water....told them I'd take a new Savage bolt gun. Havent seen it yet, but the other calibers look like Tupperware junk Still, it's cheap, and if it shoots like other Savages, then it'll be ok. About the only tags I can draw anymore are for rockchucks, and I've got plenty of them. It's a settled area, and report can be a problem. I used to use the Hornet but am scaling down. Used .22 WMR last year and shot 50 chucks at one setting with 56 shots. 3 of those shots hit barbed wire. .....most shots under 75 yards.....I'll bet that Anschutz is a tack driver...now, will a 17 grain bullet kill a 12 pound chuck? .....thanks for info.............FW Bill

If you own a Ruger 77/22 mag, I have a phenomenally accurate 17HMR stainless barrel in the classifieds. Takes 5 mins to install. The 77/17 rifles carry a huge premium, but the action and magazine of the 77/22 magnum is exactly the same, just swap barrels with two allen screws.

Dang....what an opportunity..............I have a 10-22 in .22, and two 22WMR in Win model 94 and Savage......But I am looking for another 22WMR so it may work out.......will look..........FWB

@Hogpatrol Wow....you bought into this cartridge bigtime. Now I've got my toes in the water....told them I'd take a new Savage bolt gun. Havent seen it yet, but the other calibers look like Tupperware junk Still, it's cheap, and if it shoots like other Savages, then it'll be ok. About the only tags I can draw anymore are for rockchucks, and I've got plenty of them. It's a settled area, and report can be a problem. I used to use the Hornet but am scaling down. Used .22 WMR last year and shot 50 chucks at one setting with 56 shots. 3 of those shots hit barbed wire. .....most shots under 75 yards.....I'll bet that Anschutz is a tack driver...now, will a 17 grain bullet kill a 12 pound chuck? .....thanks for info.............FW Bill
I always go for noggin shots. 100-150 yards their eyes bug out and they're dead. Body shots, I've gotten crawl-aways. Yes, the Annies are tack drivers.

As for some current ammunition availability, wandered through a new Vance Outdoors store yesterday here near Cincinnati and saw a good amount of Hornady 17 grain Vmax on the shelf, likely close to a hundred 50 ct. boxes. This is the load I principally shoot in my Savage 17 Mach 2. $11 a box.

5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum is likely the most difficult to secure ammo for IMO. Have about 1000 rounds for a Remington 591M. Aguila made a run of ammunition several years ago. No experience hunting with it. I'm not sure it would be a better choice than a 30 grain VMAX from a .22 WMR from my Savage 93, but I had to try it out. The coyotes here are efficient predators. Based on noting roadkills, mostly raccoons, possums and coyotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buck52

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,