165 or 180 grain bullet for 3006

165 or 180 grain speer hotcor for deer

Votes: 24 42.1%

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Try both

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
If I was shooting 300 yards or further. 165g.
But I would shoot both and go with the most accurate
It's possible I could get a longer shot but if I'm hunting where I know I'll have far shots I'll take my 6.5prc for that. Depending how this rifle comes out I maybe come one of my first go to guns for deer season, I always take two rifles just incase. My 7x57 ruger is m77 usually gets first pick.

It's possible I could get a longer shot but if I'm hunting where I know I'll have far shots I'll take my 6.5prc for that. Depending how this rifle comes out I maybe come one of my first go to guns for deer season, I always take two rifles just incase. My 7x57 ruger is m77 usually gets first pick.
30-06 will do everything that prc will do out to at least 500 yards. Wouldn’t discount the ole aught6

For whitetail, whatever shoots better, doesn't matter if you are shooting less than several 100 yards.

I say the 165's will do everything the 180's will do. Little flatter, same or more impact, possibly one or two more grains of powder per load. Not sure about meat damage comparison, I think that depends more on shot placement, certainly less recoil with the165's. Both bullets perfectly capable of dropping any whitetail. I use 165's for elk and moose, but an accubond.

I would start with 165 with a few loads and see what the gun tells you. If groups not satisfactory then I would try the 180's.

MB

I use 180,s Nosler Partitions for Africa. Here in the UK I use 165 grn Sierra Gamekings for Fallow, Sika and Reds.
Markcz

I am a bigger is better kind of guy. The deer won’t know if it was hit with a bullet that is 15 grains bigger. But if you get a chance to hunt moose, bigger is better, or black bears. Develop a good working load in 180 grains and use it for everything.

Barnes tsx 165 for elk for me
I do want to try some copper I already see new york trying to sneak in a lead bullet ban. I'm just not sold on the Barnes, guys say the Penetrate well yet I see the hide catching them much more often then other copper or jacketed bullets. I've got some 120 7mms I may try out this year in my 7x57 ruger, I know how well that gun kills with many different bullets.

I do want to try some copper I already see new york trying to sneak in a lead bullet ban. I'm just not sold on the Barnes, guys say the Penetrate well yet I see the hide catching them much more often then other copper or jacketed bullets. I've got some 120 7mms I may try out this year in my 7x57 ruger, I know how well that gun kills with many different bullets.
The ones I have seen the hide catch was on the exit. The bullet is backwards and the copper petals catch.
How many other bullets have mushroom petals strong enough the catch the bullet?
I will say. They typically are the most accurate bullets in my rifles.
My last safari we shot 9 Pg. recovered 2 bullets. Hide caught one of the two coming out of a big kudu. It was about 100 yard shot.
Barnes have become my go to bullet. Not saying I won’t try or use others. But they have proven themselves consistent to me

Try some Hornady CX. I prefer them over the Barnes.

The ones I have seen the hide catch was on the exit. The bullet is backwards and the copper petals catch.
How many other bullets have mushroom petals strong enough the catch the bullet?
I will say. They typically are the most accurate bullets in my rifles.
My last safari we shot 9 Pg. recovered 2 bullets. Hide caught one of the two coming out of a big kudu. It was about 100 yard shot.
Barnes have become my go to bullet. Not saying I won’t try or use others. But they have proven themselves consistent to me
I'd like to try the hammers, I like how they shead the petals but the base still holds together.

Either 180 or 165 Speer should work just fine. If preventing blood-shot meat is a concern I recommend 200 gn bullets. They are almost as flat-shooting as 180s when loaded with StaBall 6.5, Reloder 16 or 560.

I am a bigger is better kind of guy. The deer won’t know if it was hit with a bullet that is 15 grains bigger. But if you get a chance to hunt moose, bigger is better, or black bears. Develop a good working load in 180 grains and use it for everything.
Almost the same here - heavy-for-calibre + K.I.S.S = 200gn Oryx over 54gn of Norma MRP for everything. Loaded to a moderate ~740 m/s (approx 2450 f/s). Have taken moose, red deer, fallow deer, roe deer, wild boar and even a few badgers with that combination. Would not hesitate to use on fox.

I realized that I was wasting too much time/components on playing around with new loads. So now I will use that recipe until my stock runs out, which should take a few years. If/when lead bullets become outlawed here, I will switch to something else, probably (T)TSX 168gn, which shoot really well in that rifle.

The 165 will work on any deer out of the 30.06.
I almost universally use 180 out of mine for African plains game. (out to 250 yards or so)
Advantage of 180 (all things considered) slightly less meant damage and slightly harder punch.
Advantage of 165 is a slightly flatter trajectory thereby better range.
So if your shooting distances are out to 300 yards use the 180 for more biltong. If your ranges are usually over 300 yards then go 165

I didn't participate in the survey due to too many variables.

I just don't see spending twice the money, pretty sure the gs aren't bonded anymore.
To my knowledge, the GS weren’t bonded. The first version had a heel crimp and a harder bottom core with a softer front core oon top. The second version had something similar to Hornady’s Interlock, a ring protruding into the core to keep it from slipping. The third and newest version has a single core but retains the ring to prevent separation. In all cases, the GS has a considerably heavier jacket than the HC and has flutes inside the jacket to promote expansion.
I’ve used the first and second version. IMO, the second version was an excellent bullet. I haven’t tried the current version, but it strikes me as being a heavier jacketed Hornady Interlock.

To my knowledge, the GS weren’t bonded. The first version had a heel crimp and a harder bottom core with a softer front core oon top. The second version had something similar to Hornady’s Interlock, a ring protruding into the core to keep it from slipping. The third and newest version has a single core but retains the ring to prevent separation. In all cases, the GS has a considerably heavier jacket than the HC and has flutes inside the jacket to promote expansion.
I’ve used the first and second version. IMO, the second version was an excellent bullet. I haven’t tried the current version, but it strikes me as being a heavier jacketed Hornady Interlock.
Still overkill for deer and twice the price.

I use 180s and 200 in the 300 H&H and 4831 or RL-22,19 or H414 ALL GOOD POWDER AND BULLETS IN THE 30-06 AS WELL. IVE USED AND LIKED THE 150S BUT THEY ARE SOMEWHAT DESTRUCTIVE ON MEAT..i SEE THE 165 NEITHER FISH NOR FOWL.

Going to order some speer hotcors for the 3006 pre-64 m70 and been debating on 165s or 180s, I've always like 180s in 30 cals. I know it's overkill for deer and more recoil but usually damages less meat and uses less powder lol. I may just get a box of each and see that it likes, have to check powder know I've got a pound of imr 4895 but low on imr 4350. Might try some bl-c(2) or see if the leverevolution works.

So what weight would you use for whitetale deer.
I am shooting barnes 168gr. Have used IMR 4064 49.5 gr and H4350 55gr both shot very well

Going to order some speer hotcors for the 3006 pre-64 m70 and been debating on 165s or 180s, I've always like 180s in 30 cals. I know it's overkill for deer and more recoil but usually damages less meat and uses less powder lol. I may just get a box of each and see that it likes, have to check powder know I've got a pound of imr 4895 but low on imr 4350. Might try some bl-c(2) or see if the leverevolution works.

So what weight would you use for whitetale deer.
MAUSERHUNTER: when I had a custom .30-06 built I was asked “what bullet weight” would I usually shoot and the rifle barrel “twist” was determine based on that - I selected 180 grain and that was recommended by the guy that built my rifle. I was pleased to get consistent 3/4” MOA from that barrel using 180 gr TSX but it was also under an inch with other loads. I never used 165 gr from that rifle but assume accuracy would still be satisfactory. I do use 165 gr Remington Corelok (cheap Yellow & Green box ammo) out of my Remington 760 and groups 1 1/2” MOA and this bullet performs consistently well on deer - good penetration and expansion at any range under 300 yrds. Bullet drop differences between 165 and 180 grain are som “minimal” That would Not drive me decision - accuracy and availability of quality ammo would be my consideration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatoyaNowa

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,