“Safari” vs Hunting Trip?

Tex .416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
For some unknown reason, this question crossed my mind today. The longer I considered it, the less certain the answer became.

What is the difference between a “safari” vs a hunting trip?

To me I never had a hunting trip with trackers…only a safari. While I certainly enjoy a nice place to stay I have to say my last week of hunting with Tokoloshe was a great example of a safari versus a hunt. Old world bar with thatched roof accommodations. Tent camps with a common eating tent. Having three trackers after elephant spoor from morning till dark arriving back for a welcome drink by the fire

For an American I think I’d generally say the continent. A safari only applies to Africa in my mind. I also think it requires a time commitment. A weekend for a local is a hunting trip. A 7+ day hunt in Africa for an American is more of an adventure far from home and a safari to me.

“ Safari ‘’ is the Kiswahili word for journey. Remember Swahili originally a lingua Franca, a trade language using words from many languages. As I recall safari is the Arabic word meaning to journey. Hasten to add, I am no expert on languages. I have hunted all over the world and to me, ‘’ Safari ‘’ is an African adventure. Kindest Regards

A "hunting trip" is almost always a long drive and just me and the dogs or horses. Safari requires a long flight to Africa and also it's the only hunting I've ever done with a guide. I was unsure if I could adjust but for the most part it's worked out.

The word “Safari” probably makes me think of Africa or maybe other places where a planned guided hunt is taking place with the assistance of trackers,PH etc

I had a Cull Hunt in Africa but could have been considered a Safari. I believe some people take photographic safaris.

A guided hunt in Alaska is a term that is self explanatory and going bush could mean anything in Australia.

I recently went on a hunting trip with my mate where the intention was to camp in the bush self sufficient and hunt Fallow deer on foot after taking a vehicle out to a chosen point to start hunting.

Someti Aussies go Pig shooting. It’s some times multiple days staying in a shearer’s quarters , hut or a swag on the ground . You might pay for access or you might have a property that lets you on to shoot pests and any and all pigs are targeted to be dispatched. This could be known as pig hunting if you like the there. I’m often on foot but quads buggies and vehicles are all used to cover more ground and pursue pigs.

Aussie pig doggers often consider themselves Pig Hunters.

It’s and interesting question because you could go to a “Camp” in the Northern Territory to hunt Buffalo,Pigs, scrub Bull or Banteng and that may be a fully catered experience and maybe the most Safari like ex you would have in Australia.

Watching som English and UK stuff and the there Gralloch is used. I’m sure we all use different terms of different origins for different aspects of the hunt.

I’ve never heard of anyone taking a safari to Alaska!!

Here is Webster's definition....

“ Safari ‘’ is the Kiswahili word for journey. Remember Swahili originally a lingua Franca, a trade language using words from many languages. As I recall safari is the Arabic word meaning to journey. Hasten to add, I am no expert on languages. I have hunted all over the world and to me, ‘’ Safari ‘’ is an African adventure. Kindest Regards
Spot on.
Safari is from Arabic word “seferi” meaning on the move.

What is the difference between a “safari” vs a hunting trip?
When you google something like top ten safari places in Africa, search engine will divert you to photo safari and national parks of Africa, and best lodges for these activities. So safari is modern euphemism, for non hunting trip to Africa.

Hunting trip is hunting trip. World wide.

Safari hunting is what is supposed to be, in Africa

Most any trip to wild or rural areas of Africa has been and continues to be called a "Safari". There are game viewing/eco/photo Safaris and there are hunting Safaris. Many times the same areas, camps, guides/PHs, staff, trackers etc. are used for both hunting and non-hunting Safaris. The general context here, usually but not exclusively, refers to hunting Safaris. I wouldn't get too tightly wrapped around the axle about semantics. ;)

I don't know, I've done a lot of thinking about this. I like to think that any time that you go afield after multiple species, it could be considered a safari. Hunt what the bush gives up on any particular day.
A couple of years ago, my wife and I both had tags for both deer and elk that we could hunt at the same time in the same area (muzzleloader hunts). In addition, we could legally shoot coyotes, bear, cougar, grouse, and any upland birds. We had to travel across the state. Lived in a tent for several days. Every morning we woke up and went hunting for whatever the wilderness offered up first... Safari!

Confirmation of the above from another source, the book "Safari" by Bartle Bull. On page 17: "...Like many Swahili words widely used in east Africa, the term 'safari' has its origins in Arabic. There had been Arab traders and slavers along the coast since at least 1300. The root verb safara in classical Arabic means to unveil, hence to discover, or to enter upon a journey, and the noun safariya in Arabic refers to a voyage or expedition. The derivative word safari, used in Swahili to refer to any trip or journey, was not employed in the sense of a sporting expedition until Europeans, in the late nineteenth century, began to hunt extensively near areas of east Africa that had been under Arab influence." (Safari: A Chronicle of Adventure, c Bartle Bull, 1988)

Safari njema ..means have a nice/safe journey.....so probably the term safari is possibly more relevant to the months long safari hunts of yesteryear covering long distances on foot ,or later in early vehicles....although I suppose most people have a long journey to get out here to hunt these days....but slightly different as the majority or the travel is not on the hunt but getting to it....just a thought so don't go beating me up :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

Safari is a nostalgic term that we all grew up with. I am certain it is safe to say that we all dreamed of an African Safari as a child or young person. Personally I wished for other hunts but I only truly dreamed of Safari.
Sure the term just means adventure but I cringe a bit when it is used for something unrelated to Africa.

IMG_0047.jpeg

For me, a hunting trip could be accomplished solo, or with a guide, or with a hunting buddy, or could be a group who hunt individually out of a shared camp (either tentage or permanent lodge or cabin). But the actual hunting itself is almost always conducted solo or as a pair. (Exception for game drives). It can take place virtually anywhere.

But a "safari" takes place only in Africa, per the origin of the word; and generally the lone (or pair of) hunters are supported by a team of non-hunting support staff. That staff would typically include the PH, tracker(s), skinner(s), cook(s), etc. During the "golden age" safari, it included porters and strikers for establishing and breaking camp and transport of supplies; today it is more likely to involve a driver, housekeeping, laundress, lodge maintenance, and similar personnel. But in either instance, it carries the connotation of an expedition rather than a solo or DIY effort.

That's my take on it anyway.

To me I never had a hunting trip with trackers…only a safari. While I certainly enjoy a nice place to stay I have to say my last week of hunting with Tokoloshe was a great example of a safari versus a hunt. Old world bar with thatched roof accommodations. Tent camps with a common eating tent. Having three trackers after elephant spoor from morning till dark arriving back for a welcome drink by the fire
A hunting trip is just that hunting. A good safari is MAGIC.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lavina8021

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.