Why no love for the .358 Win?

Just get a .338WM and be done with all the lesser cartridges. LOL
@CoElkHunter
We are talking about real hunting cartridges mate not fire breathing ass whooping magnums that offer no real advantages out to 200yds. The baby whelen (358) is a fine cartridge for the job.
Before that the 348 win was doing the job just fine and animals didn't complain about the lack of killing power and that was before your precious 338WM. Get rid of it and get a 35 you will be happier.
Bob

View attachment 517930

Brass and bullets converted into 100 bacon busters this afternoon…

Time to take the 358 Winchester to the range and and see how she shoots! :)

Starting out with a fairly mild and inexpensive load… 200gr hornady interlocks over 48gn of IMR 4064… should put me at about 2350fps and give an idea on how well the rifle functions, generally groups, etc…

Then I’ll try to develop a hunting load with Barnes 225gr ttsx (already have a few hundred of those on hand that were originally intended for the Whelen) that will get a little north of 2450fps if I can pull it off… (not sure there is enough case capacity for that… but I’ll try a few different powders and see how it goes…

Took me a month to finally get the rifle to the range… but.. based on todays results I do t think I’m going to change a thing… there’s no reason to tweak or tune a load that is already shooting just inside an inch at 100… clearly the rifle likes the 4064 interlock combo and 48 gr gave me all the thump I think I want out of the gun lol…

I’ll be doing a 3 day hog hunt this coming weekend… I might take the rifle with me and see if I get lucky and find a dumb pig (one that walks out during daylight hours)…. For the not so dumb pigs I’ll have to stick with the 458 socom (nv optic mounted on that one)..

I prefer hunting in the day, but my 500 Jeffery was definitely enough gun for piggies...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a month to finally get the rifle to the range… but.. based on todays results I do t think I’m going to change a thing… there’s no reason to tweak or tune a load that is already shooting just inside an inch at 100… clearly the rifle likes the 4064 interlock combo and 48 gr gave me all the thump I think I want out of the gun lol…

I’ll be doing a 3 day hog hunt this coming weekend… I might take the rifle with me and see if I get lucky and find a dumb pig (one that walks out during daylight hours)…. For the not so dumb pigs I’ll have to stick with the 458 socom (nv optic mounted on that one)..
Mdwest that's a great load you have there. I achieved max performance with the 225grn TSX using Varget and W748. Chronographed at 2530fps. As the TSX is much longer, powder compression was sever. That said I had no pressure signs and bolt lift and extraction was 1 finger easy. I've since switched to Swift A-Frames. With the shorter bullet powder compression is much less and accuracy is still outstanding. My PH in Namibia was shocked at how it preformed on the game I harvested on that trip. Enjoy, it's a grand round.

Always wanted a .358 Winchester. Going through a lever phase at the moment so bought the lever equivalent on Tuesday..
Sat in the shop for a couple years now and checked and it was still there so bought it.

New to me .356 Winchester. Now to sell the 9.5x56 M1910 Mannlicher and pick up a .375 Winchester.

IMG_4204.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always wanted a .358 Winchester. Going through a lever phase at the moment so bought the lever equivalent on Tuesday..
Sat in the shop for a couple years now and checked and it was still there so bought it.

New to me .356 Winchester. Now to sell the 9.5x56 M1910 Mannlicher and pick up a .375 Winchester.
Welcome to the 358 club. A vey underrated cartridge that preforms well above the paper ballistics. One of my favorite medium bore rounds. Do enjoy it.

Welcome to the 358 club. A vey underrated cartridge that preforms well above the paper ballistics. One of my favorite medium bore rounds. Do enjoy it.
Is the 1910 a schutzen full stock model? You will have Mr Rothhammer inquiring shortly.

I just had my gunsmith build a 358 Win on a pre 64 M70 action with a 20” Shilen barrel. Still doing load development with Ramshot TAC and 200 TTSX, but getting good results so far. It’s a great companion to my 35 Whelen Improved and will soon have a 338-06 and a 9.3x62 to keep it company. I might have a thing for medium bore rifles.

I just had my gunsmith build a 358 Win on a pre 64 M70 action with a 20” Shilen barrel. Still doing load development with Ramshot TAC and 200 TTSX, but getting good results so far. It’s a great companion to my 35 Whelen Improved and will soon have a 338-06 and a 9.3x62 to keep it company. I might have a thing for medium bore rifles.
You’re getting there! Welcome to the club. Still need a 35 remington for the small stuff.

@jnmullins
What makes you think that. Just forget the 338-06. It won't do anything the Whelen won't do better
Bob

Unfortunately not. Plus I’m in Australia.
@Certus
Being Australian makes it hard at times. There's stuff we would like and can get it but countries can't export it under their silly laws
Bob

@jnmullins
What makes you think that. Just forget the 338-06. It won't do anything the Whelen won't do better
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Agreed, just like the 35 Whelen doesn’t do anything that my 375 won’t do. But that’s no reason not to build one up. I’m thinking 250-300gr gets me just about the same ballistics as a 318 WR or 333 Jeffrey

A 35 Remington would be very fun in a Marlin 336. I also need a 35+ caliber in a single shot break action to take advantage of Louisiana’s primitive firearms season.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Agreed, just like the 35 Whelen doesn’t do anything that my 375 won’t do. But that’s no reason not to build one up. I’m thinking 250-300gr gets me just about the same ballistics as a 318 WR or 333 Jeffrey

A 35 Remington would be very fun in a Marlin 336. I also need a 35+ caliber in a single shot break action to take advantage of Louisiana’s primitive firearms season.
@jnmullins
CVA does a lovely single shot Whelen that's very accurate. A mate has one but the eejit sold it .
Bob

I have harvested more pounds of game flesh with various .358 rifles than any other. I currently shoot three, a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Frontier Carbine, a Ruger M77-RLS Mark II Carbine and a Browning Pre-81 BLR. I have several loads that work well, but 200 SP's with W748 is a good all around load. 225 Sierras are good too, and for moose and big bears I use 250 grain Partitions.
20210608_122741.jpg
20201013_092246.jpg
20191119_121041.jpg

Attachments

• 20211108_104246.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 21
I have harvested more pounds of game flesh with various .358 rifles than any other. I currently shoot three, a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Frontier Carbine, a Ruger M77-RLS Mark II Carbine and a Browning Pre-81 BLR. I have several loads that work well, but 200 SP's with W748 is a good all around load. 225 Sierras are good too, and for moose and big bears I use 250 grain Partitions. View attachment 597385View attachment 597386View attachment 597387
I will be using my .358 BLR on Black Bear this fall in Michigan and in May in Saskatchewan
It drops whitetail in their tracks when I shoulder shoot them (which I do with bucks so they don't run off the property and die)

The .358 is very under appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErnestineD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]