What powder for brass solids in a 500 NE?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I'm trying to get my Heym to regulate with Woodleigh hydro's and Barnes banded solids and ive pretty much hit a dead end with RL-15 powder. so the question is, what powder should I try next?

ive got a pretty decent load using IMR 4350 with Swift A-frames but this powder really doesn't work with brass bullets due to case capacity.

the gun was regulated with Federal ammunition loaded with Woodleigh hydro's so I know its possible... just a matter of figuring it out.

thank you
-Matt

VV-N540 looks like it might be a good choice and H380

I would guess something in the burn range of H380,H4350 should work but kinda surprised the IMR 4350 does not have enough case capacity you tried. Will be following thou. As I have a Heym 500 as well it is regulated for the hornady bullets and I bought 250 rnds loaded ammo to work thru before I start handloading for it. Then I plan to switch over to the north fork solids and work up a load.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drallan@12

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)