What Have You Killed with the 7x57

In my 7x57 I really like the S&B SPCE bullets. They group very well with iron sights and 26” barrel from my 1940 commercial Mauser 98.

A lot of elk have been taken with the 7x57 and 140 grain bullets. I'd want something heavier but it is a fine rifle for most hunting in the lower 48. I've never heard anyone who owned one that didn't like the rifle.

Try 170 Rhino....
Thanks IvW I'm going to go with 160gr Safari Bullet Company, bullets I like that I can push them to 2600fps and makes it easier for those unexpected longer shots you find in the bushveld on open areas up to 300 meters. Meat damage is minimal as they are bonded same as Rhino and if they work as good as they do on my 375 and 458 lott I will be very happy.

Was on the range again last Saturday and did dome fine tuning to the loads and overall very happy, last thing to do is to sight it in and I'm set to go for the hunting season and filling up the freezer.

On the Menu is gemsbuck or kudu cow up north in Limpopo with an impala ewe or two. 9 May is around the corner.

Three animals last week:
Impala
IMG-20240505-WA0069.jpg

Springbuck
IMG-20240505-WA0054.jpg

Golden Wildebeest
IMG-20240505-WA0057.jpg

Actually used a .275 Rigby, but that's the same as a 7x57

Thursday Morning heading off north to Tolwe Limpopo province meat hunt mainly impalas on the menu but if something nice steps in in front of me and the 7x57 then it will be so.

Bullet to be used 160gr Safari Bullet Company at just under 2600fps.
My one friend is going to borrow my 6.5x55 using 160gr Honday Interlocks at @2430fps

Show and tell next week with a report coming up.

160 grain Accubond. Essentially one shot each, though the PH asked me to hit the Springbuck again as another hunter had lost one that morning they thought was down. When we reached the animal he said the first had been enough.
Nice I'm really wanting to switch to one 160s in my ruger ts ND the ab maybe it, overkill for the deer I hunt but it's a good do all bullet. Last few deer were shot with very old partitions and worked great but about out. 140s just seem to damage to much meat, I shot a doe at 15 yards a few years ago a jellied from the neck to half the ribs back. That was a Sierra pro hunter, they shot really good but the ab really aren't much more no.w

I use all my big game rifles on woodchucks to tune up for deer season. Done it ever since I was a kid. Got some strange looks hunting chucks with a shotgun and slugs. Made me a better game shot.

You can have amazing adventures without a gun... just a little tougher to feed the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesusCole

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg