SOUTH AFRICA: 04/24 Limpopo SA

camlo

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I cannot currently put into words how I feel about Africa or the experiences I have had. I am not capable or writing a four page post that captivates the audience. I can say that the dreams I have lived with since I was a young man have been realized.

I will try to add to this post within the next few days but for now I can say the first African animal I harvested was a buffalo.

Heck of a first animal, tell us the story and share some pics

Oh and congratulations, you will officially now have the Africa bug

Three friends and myself departed DFW on 4/15 and arrived in Joberg late in the evening on 4/16. We made the drive to Bela Bela that evening and once we got to camp we were greeted by the owners with a handshake and a cold Klipdrift brandy and coke.

We spent some time admiring the beauty of the lodge and then migrated to the camp fire to recount the travel experience and get to know the PH’s a little bit. After a few hours we left the fire burning and retired to bed excited about what the sunrise would bring.

I had to pinch myself as I settled down into my seat in the high rack of the Hilux. The sunrise was more beautiful than I could’ve imagined. The air was crisp and the sounds of birds I’ve never heard before are burned into my memory. Two of my friends were there for PG but I was there solely for a buffalo. I need to mention now that the fourth person in our group is a professional outdoor photographer from Nebraska. We all wanted him along to document our trip and are thankful he accepted the offer to come. For anyone with an Instagram check him out at joel_bo_jones. His work is magnificent.

When I first booked the hunt I was upfront with my PH about my desire to use a Ruger No1 with iron sights in 416 rem mag. I ordered my ammo from Superior and with @Green Chile speaking highly of North Fork bullets I decided on the 400gr SS and 400gr CS bullets.

Long story short and after many stalking attempts and looking over numerous buffalo I was able to connect with a beautiful old bull. The shot was approximately 40 yards quartering towards me. That bullet smacked him in the chest and he jumped and twisted around before taking off with the rest of the heard. I had practiced reloading quickly over the summer and can honestly say I didn’t have to take my eyes off the buff to reload and I have no clear memory of even reloading. He quickly began to slow down and once I was presented with a clear second shot I sent the second bullet behind his ribs quartering away. He half heartedly bucked again at the second shot and we watched him pile up in the brush another 20 yards away. Overall distance from the initial shot to the recovered animal was less than 100 yards.

Attachments

• _26A9574-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 104
Freaken awesome photo. Congrats!

I am blown away by the sheer size of these animals and how downright intimidating they are even when you’re holding a rifle. They really do look at you like you owe them money.

I have had the pleasure of staying in some very nice places from Nantucket to Toronto to NYC and I’d trade them all for another week at that Lodge. The hospitality was second to none. The food was also never ending. I had to finally start turning down meals. I don’t typically eat three full meals a day at home and I was beginning to founder. The ability of the PH’s to carry on a conversation was something to behold. There was never a dull moment or a stale conversation. Everyone was full of laughter and knowledge. They are the salt of the earth kind of people over there and I am honored to now call them my friends.

IMG_7043.jpeg

Once the photographer gets the pictures he took turned around I’ll post some of his stuff. They’re gonna be incredible.

Heck of a boss on that Cape! Congratulations on a great buff.

HH

Nice shooting on a huge bull. Looking forward to seeing more of the photographic work. Outstanding so far.

Very cool. Congratulations on a great first safari. Nice bull and great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Wow, congratulations on a fine buffalo, and a beautiful Ruger No.1. BTW, how are you feeling from dealing with Tick Fever?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sebome5599

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek