Recent dip and ship cost

I have a crate coming right now with finished taxidermy. Kudu, sable, wildebeest, warthog, and duiker shoulder mounts with back skins, 2 full-size steenbucks impala euro and zebra flat skin. With crating, fees, and freight it came up to $6100
What airline is it coming in on and what port of entry?
Was this a total cost of everything or just the shipping? That seems a little high if only shipping even in today’s market.

I have a giraffe hide, skull, and leg bones. I am scared to get my freight bill. Includes 7 full body night creatures, 1 tiny, and a bushbuck. My taxidermy bill was $5180.80. Still a bargain with the Giraffe included in this price of $1830.00.

I may shoot less if needed but I will continue to ship home my animals.

I have a giraffe hide, skull, and leg bones. I am scared to get my freight bill. Includes 7 full body night creatures, 1 tiny, and a bushbuck. My taxidermy bill was $5180.80. Still a bargain with the Giraffe included in this price of $1830.00.

Who did your taxidermy?

Same, I will shoot less or just do Euros and hides, I do not have the room for more shoulder mounts unless I build something else anyway,

What airline is it coming in on and what port of entry?
Was this a total cost of everything or just the shipping? That seems a little high if only shipping even in today’s market.
This is the total of everything just the shipping is $4200. It is coming into portland, Or I am not sure which airline it is coming on yet.

Last edited:
That's not bad at all. I need to dig what I paid in 2022, but I believe it was somewhere around what you paid. Where they hosed me was in the warehouse storage fees.
Warehouse storage fees unless for couple days (weekend, etc..) is the fault of the clearing agent.
They should be aware of the timing and be ready.

what is the size and weight of the crate and who is the shipper?
Trophy logistics is handling everything on the SA side. The crate weighs 188kg and is 198x106x127

August 2023 - 9 PG Dip and Pack via Air Freight from Joburg to Houston cost me 1665 USD. (Skulls and skins of 2 Wildebeest, 2 Kudu, 2 Impala, Nyala, Blesbok, and a Zebra skin only). Then 1100 USD paid to customs agent to deliver to my taxidermist in Houston. Total = 2775 USD

This week I was notified 2 Chamois shoulder mounts done by a taxidermist in Italy are ready to be shipped. These will need to be cleared by a customs agent but as they are finished products they will come straight to my house. I can update this thread when I know the costs. This will be air freight.

My two cents. Costs of taxidermy these days is just something I force myself to budget into things. Airfare/Hunt/Taxidermy are the three main concepts to me. I value the mounts that much. I am trying to have at least one representative shoulder/pedestal mount of each animal, then switch to euro mounts for further trophies of that animal. Of course it does not always turn out that way, e.g. same animal but from a different country, or such as this past Fall where I was deadset on euromounting a simple Texas whitetail. Then I ended up shooting a buck with a double white patch on his neck (somewhat rare vs. the norm which is one white patch). Had to shoulder mount that one, etc... Cheers
Im currently looking for a chamois hunt, what outfitter did you use?

Italian Safari. Owner is Leone Rossi. Absolutely recommended, 10 out of 10. Their website is below. Also, I posted a hunting report here in AH, see below as well. I also hunted with them for Roe deer another time and there is a report on this site. Happy to answer any more questions. Cheers

See my post just now.

Italian Safari was highly recommended to me by a PH I spoke with from Namibia at DSC. I spoke with Leone Rossi at DSC this year and was very impressed with him and his company. They are on my short list for a future hunt for Chamois

Italian Safari was highly recommended to me by a PH I spoke with from Namibia at DSC. I spoke with Leone Rossi at DSC this year and was very impressed with him and his company. They are on my short list for a future hunt for Chamois
I wouldnt hesitate. Great door to door service so to speak. I used them for non-hunting trip to Italy at Xmas time 2022 for my extended family for 15 days in a few different parts of Italy. They handled everything (drivers/tours/hotels/meals) and went perfect.
I want to hunt Red Stag with them next. Id hunt anything with them really but have done Roe deer and Chamois so far. Would do both again too. Cheers

From 2023 South Africa hunt. I had 2 crates. One had a cape buff horns and cape. It also had sable horns and cape. The other crate had 3 pig skulls and one bush pig cape. Dip and pack was 400. Shipping was 2200 and brokage fee was 400.

August 2023 - 9 PG Dip and Pack via Air Freight from Joburg to Houston cost me 1665 USD. (Skulls and skins of 2 Wildebeest, 2 Kudu, 2 Impala, Nyala, Blesbok, and a Zebra skin only). Then 1100 USD paid to customs agent to deliver to my taxidermist in Houston. Total = 2775 USD

This week I was notified 2 Chamois shoulder mounts done by a taxidermist in Italy are ready to be shipped. These will need to be cleared by a customs agent but as they are finished products they will come straight to my house. I can update this thread when I know the costs. This will be air freight.

My two cents. Costs of taxidermy these days is just something I force myself to budget into things. Airfare/Hunt/Taxidermy are the three main concepts to me. I value the mounts that much. I am trying to have at least one representative shoulder/pedestal mount of each animal, then switch to euro mounts for further trophies of that animal. Of course it does not always turn out that way, e.g. same animal but from a different country, or such as this past Fall where I was deadset on euromounting a simple Texas whitetail. Then I ended up shooting a buck with a double white patch on his neck (somewhat rare vs. the norm which is one white patch). Had to shoulder mount that one, etc... Cheers
OK, to follow up. I have my two Chamois shoulder mounts hanging on the wall now. It was 2167USD for taxidermy and shipping to Houston. 1010USD to clear into Houston. 3167 total. Aint cheap but always nice to succesfully bookend a great hunt. From the Italian Alps to my wall.
IMG_7556.jpeg
IMG_7557.jpeg
IMG_7567.jpeg

The last mount I envision will be a Sable floor pedestal. Everything else lately has been 8x12 glossies.

Now to find that monster Sable...

Warehouse storage fees unless for couple days (weekend, etc..) is the fault of the clearing agent.
They should be aware of the timing and be ready.
unless they have to wait for US agriculture has to clear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young35E89

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,