Pre Safari Physical Training P.T.

Have you been talking to my mother? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It would make you look even younger. You seem to be defying the aging process! Good work! I wish all my clients did what you are doing.

Walk the dogs around my hilly KY property 3-4 days a week. Usually 2-3 miles. The bigger dog has pretty bad arthritis so I gotta take it easy on him a little bit. Run 3-4 miles the other 2-3 days. The rest of my activity consists of farm chores and walking through airports. I need to tone up my core strength some. Not really over weight. 6' 190". Could lose 5-10lbs. Age 64 but cardio, blood pressure and everything else is pretty good.

9 months prior to my Zim safari, I would hike 5-6 miles in my local state park every weekend (sometimes twice per weekend and more on holiday weekends) at a deliberate pace. Also would run 3-5 miles a couple days per week.

I wore my hunting boots, hunting belt with ammo carrier, pack, and carried two lead pipes cut to the length and weight of my double to simulate carrying the rifle for that distance. Focus was on doing everything I could to train as realistically as possible for the hunt.

Worked out great. Even in the rough country of the Omay, I was physically ready.

20230102_174412.jpg

20230102_174502.jpg

... I just do not have the motivation to really smoke myself anymore. Hopefully I can get my eating cleaned up and cut back on the beer a little, which is not likely to happen this week at the DSC :cool:
You don't need motivation, you need discipline ;). I already found a 24 hour fitness (have Nationwide membership through my insurance) 7 miles from where I am staying in Keller,TX. I will be heading there at 6AM each day before cleaning up and heading to the convention. If I can do it at 66, so can anyone else I think. :unsure: :A Happy Wave:

I use and highly recommend the MTNTough program.

So I read this thread, yesterday, on PT and comment. Then this morning this video is one of the first video’s on my Youtube Feed.

Princess Bride and I have both been involved with Physical Education throughout our education careers. We have experienced the mandated physical fitness criteria and the public outcry of our children are soft. Looks like this has been ongoing for far longer than I thought.

In Texas right now, this is the start to “Offseason”. Yes, basketball is ongoing, baseball, and track are about to start. However, this is the time of the year that conditioning for football starts all over the State of Texas. This is when Friday Night Lights in the Fall start.
Many of the gymnastics moves shown in the video are incorporated during movement days, “Matt Drills” is the official term. I always enjoyed running Matt Drills. The kids had never done many of this gymnastics moves. It was a great confidence builder for them. These training also allowed for drills in which the kids had to listen with intensity and function when they were DAT, Dead Ass Tired.

So I read this thread, yesterday, on PT and comment. Then this morning this video is one of the first video’s on my Youtube Feed.

Princess Bride and I have both been involved with Physical Education throughout our education careers. We have experienced the mandated physical fitness criteria and the public outcry of our children are soft. Looks like this has been ongoing for far longer than I thought.

In Texas right now, this is the start to “Offseason”. Yes, basketball is ongoing, baseball, and track are about to start. However, this is the time of the year that conditioning for football starts all over the State of Texas. This is when Friday Night Lights in the Fall start.
Many of the gymnastics moves shown in the video are incorporated during movement days, “Matt Drills” is the official term. I always enjoyed running Matt Drills. The kids had never done many of this gymnastics moves. It was a great confidence builder for them. These training also allowed for drills in which the kids had to listen with intensity and function when they were DAT, Dead Ass Tired.

Looking at the 1936 video shows how lean every kid was back then. If you did a similar video today in the US, the difference would be startling.

That brings back memories. Even though I was an athlete on multiple teams I still had to do PE rain or shine in boarding school in England. Part of it was doing some of those gymnastics moves including box jump etc.

BTW, in regard to leanness we had a couple of classmates that were overweight when they came in. They got special attention and were put on a diet to boot. Something that would never happen today.

When I am preparing for a tough elk or sheep hunt, in addition to my normal gym workouts I will add a 50 lb weight vest. I wear it and will either walk a couple miles a day around the neighborhood with it or wear it while on the stairmaster at the gym. Training experts suggest wearing weight vests up to 25% of your body weight, so 50 lbs is 25% of my ~200 lbs body weight. I'm actually down to below 190 now. The individual weights are 5 lbs and about the size of a bar of soap. Each weight is in a individual Velcro pouch, so they can be removed to lighten the vest. The vest also has a removable, padded liner so you can wash it and let it air dry. Great system to add to your workout!

Weightvest.com https://www.weightvest.com/product/50-lb-v-force-short-weighted-vest/

1672754411501.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.41 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.43 PM.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.15.45 PM.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 45
Hike a couple of times a week for 2-3 miles with a 40-50# weighted pack.

Part 2 is the hard part…burpees.

Oh my god I hate burpees! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: probably the most effective all around exercise ever devised but man they suck and being fat really adds an extra degree of suffering and humiliation to them. LOL.
Hike a couple of times a week for 2-3 miles with a 40-50# weighted pack.

Part 2 is the hard part…burpees.

Not specifically for Africa, but I do this 6 days a week, year round.

Because of where I live, I hike 5 miles in the foothills packing a 30lb slab of iron in my backpack and carrying my M1 Garand, sans sling. When I get back to the beginning, and if the ground is frozen or dry, I then drop and knock out 25 pushups. I then shed the backpack and do 50 stomach crunches. If the ground is all sloppy wet, then I wait until I get back to the shack to do the same. A chin up bar waits for me there as well. If the ground is iced over, then on go the crampons. If the snow is too deep, then it's time for snowshoes.
All this is really no big deal; excluding wearing snowshoes it only takes me 100 minutes or so to knock it out. I average 1,100 miles per year, however I tend to wear out boot soles at around 900 miles; a bit of a dilemma ...

I'll be 68 this year.

Five months ago I broke my back and my sternum. That kept me sitting down in chairs most of the time so all my muscles atrophied. And arthritis flared up big time in my left knee from lack of use. In two months we are off to South Africa for 30 days. A week or two of hunting and the rest looking for a province we like and a ranch to buy (first steps), talking with lawyers, accountants, shopping, etc, etc. Some of you will remember me talking about this earlier.

Anyway, my back has healed enough to get into physical therapy as well as exercise. Here are the exercises I'm doing currently. I'm walking two miles every day while wearing my Courtney Jamisons which are anything but light weight (I've got trick ankles that without support drop me like a sack of potatoes without warning). In a couple of weeks I'll up it to four miles a day. In addition I purchased a recumbent bike with elliptical like handlebars, put it in front of the TV, and ride it an hour a day- huge help for my knee and every other joint. I also just ordered a ten pound pipe for me to lug around on my walks. As you can imagine sitting on my ass for five months doesn't do well for lugging a double rifle around.

In addition, I've been working with a company called Cenegenics for over a year and a half now. I'll put a link below, look them up. They are all about total health and I've lost 40 pounds so far, with another 30 to go to get me back into fighting shape. With them my cholesterol is excellent, my blood pressure good, no plaque at all in the arteries or heart, my insulin levels are perfect (I was right at the edge of being pre-diabetic). I do testosterone injections twice a week which has given me back my zest for life (have lost some hair topside but it's worth it).

Zimbabwe in 2024 & 2025. I will be in tip top shape by then.

I will not go quietly into the night.

A couple of links.

https://cenegenics.com

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Exercisers-Monitoring/dp/B072JHYQGC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.23 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.38 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 12.16.41 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
I fill my pack up with 24 Coors Banquets, and I won't allow myself to stop walking until I either pass out, or all the beer is gone.
12 or 16oz. cans? The difference in weight can make a difference? LOL

Looking at the 1936 video shows how lean every kid was back then. If you did a similar video today in the US, the difference would be startling.
You would be correct if you were observing a regular Physical Education class in Texas. However, in the athletics class I could put together a group of young men that play defensive back, linebacker, running back, and receivers that look like that. The linemen are a different story in appearance but they too can move.
I taught in the home town of Audie Murphy, most decorated US soldier in WW2. In January of 1942, the US Marine Corps rejected him because he did not weigh enough. He had to gain 30lbs. In June 1942 he was accepted by the US Army. Quite a few men were not accepted by the US military in WW2 due to issues caused by malnutrition from growing up during the Great Depression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GailZook1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,