Old German rifle

I have a similar looking rifle that has "Mod. Mauser JP Sauer and son" marked on top of the rib. Mine is chambered in 8x57J (.318) and dates to 1906.

jpsauer-1.JPG
jpsauer-2.JPG
jpsauer-3.JPG
jpsauer-4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle I'm just wondering if mine is one of the ones that he built when he got a letter meant for a different gun manufacturer. but built the rifle anyway for the customer and then just hide his information under his stock. I have read in the early days When a letter was dropped in his mailbox by accident meant for a different gun Maker, he would build the rifle anyhow.

The raised side panels on that rifle makes me wonder if it may have been built before the first world war?

If it´s really a Krieghoff produced in Suhl it has been produced before WW2.
After the war Krieghoff had to move to the West and is now located in Ulm.
sporterized military Mauser , rest as Lüderitz said.

Keep your eye out for another classic era used commercial stock. I have actually seen several come up on ebay and go for good prices. Very good in fact. Who wants them? Not long ago a nice one with Schnabel fore end went for a song. I bought this used Mauser aftermarket stock from GunBroker for a couple hundred and cleaned it up for my 404 build. I left the trap gun recoil pad on it (for now). Just fit it properly.
20240420_112851.jpg

Then you could swap out the safety for a Buhler scope relief safety and change the scope mounts. Those safeties can be had for less than a hundred bucks. Or if the new used stock is cut for it, you might install a trigger block safety. Timney sells them for about $150. It is a shame someone would do so many brutal modifications to a classic hunting rifle just to save a safety that in my opinion was extremely unfriendly for hunting to start with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesusCole

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg