Old German rifle

cross-sticks

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping someone might be able to help me with this. It's a mauser 98.
But I'm not sure when it was made.
No makers mark on top of the rifle
But if you take the stock off it says Krieghoff Suhl. I have Read. on the internet in the Beginning He would build guns that were meant to be built by a different manufacturer but the letter was put in his mailbox by mistake. any information would be appreciated.

20240324_162211.jpg
20240324_162153.jpg
20240324_162123.jpg
20230630_133355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless my eyes deceive me, it has had a partial buttstock transplant--one cheekpiece sawed out and a likely larger, higher one blended into the comb? I certainly like the integral raised sight rib on the barrel. They put a lot of care into those older rifles! I have no clearcut information on chambering, etc. but am confident some will chime in soon...

cheek piece was added and I would bet the buttpad when the side mount went on , probably in the 60,s

It’s a wonderful rifle. Worth a restock to fit you perfectly

Hi Thanks for the input.It does fit me pretty well.Although the cheekpiece doesn't help me. being left-handed. And I think they did a pretty good job of matching it. and I am pretty sure the but pad is not original

Unless my eyes deceive me, it has had a partial buttstock transplant--one cheekpiece sawed out and a likely larger, higher one blended into the comb?
In my opinion.
You are correct.
Classic rifle designed for iron sights.

Later somebody added a scope (relatively high) on a side type of mount, Mauser classic safety added the need to raise the scope high.

This created a need to raise the cheekpiece, which was done on the comb.

Indeed. It sorta got double-injured.

One, they wanted a scope. So they drilled and tapped the side of the action for a QD side mount. (not a G&H, but maybe an old Rechnagel or a Jaeger). Not terrible automatically, but terrible because they left the high flag safety on it rather than swap safeties. Then they realized after stacking bad ideas together, that it wasn't usable, so they hacked at the stock and added a higher comb.

All these problems destroying the value of the gun and permanently altering it to save on a side safety.

It may still be a great shooter, but the gun has lost all value due to terrible gunsmithing judgement.

Yes probably Done in the 40s or 50s when they We're not. thinking about collector value

I like it. What caliber is it? I love rifles like this and always wish they could talk and tell me their stories. Someone modified it to continue using it for what it was born to do; just more efficiently for the owner at that time.

Safe shooting

Well I don't know it's a forties era german scope. SF it is 8x57 any yes I guess someone just made it suit them better.
But it is extremely accurate and fun to shoot, so I'm happy with it. and Yes I wish it could talk

If it´s really a Krieghoff produced in Suhl it has been produced before WW2.
After the war Krieghoff had to move to the West and is now located in Ulm.

I like it. What caliber is it? I love rifles like this and always wish they could talk and tell me their stories. Someone modified it to continue using it for what it was born to do; just more efficiently for the owner at that time.

Safe shooting

That mirrors my sentiments exactly good sir. Well stated.

Too bad about the "adjustments" to a fine classic rifle.

Yes still a nice rifle I guess someone just wanted to change a couple of things.
And from what I have gathered from the internet it is pre ww2. and in the beginning Krieghoff was a bit of a Shady character.

As with any rifle as long as it brings joy and happiness to you that’s all that really matters!!!!

If it´s really a Krieghoff produced in Suhl it has been produced before WW2.
After the war Krieghoff had to move to the West and is now located in Ulm.

From a general point of view it looks like a rifle that was built in the twenties or thirties. The scope came later, perhaps in the late fifties, sixties or even later. Does not matter.

If the rifle was manufactured by Krieghoff/Suhl is another question. I am no an expert, but the borders of the engraved KRIEGHOFF SUHL seems to me, due to the sharpness of the edges, a little bit recent, but I could be wrong. I don't know also if Krieghoff marked the rifles like that before the WWII, but I know that the actions that Krieghoff used are marked with a small anchor. One would have to disassemble the rifle to verify that.

Thank you for the information. Yes, all these markings are underneath the stock, so everything is hidden. One of these days I well have to take it apart again and look for that anchor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DallasGold

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani