Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
IMG_0866.jpeg
IMG_0868.jpeg
IMG_0869.jpeg
My hunting buddy chad was showing me some guns he just inherited some mint condition shotguns and a fabulous sig 375h&h , then he pulled out a Winchester m70 pre64 270 and asked what do you think about her ? I love old school Winchester and “said wow I love those “ much to my surprise he said “ I know she is all yours, one condition, you bring her with us to Africa and promise to never sell her “ & “ I love you brother “
well I was speechless ( and kinda misty typing this) !!
now I just need to figure out if I should restore the stock to original ( 40 years of sitting in a gun safe added a little character to the stock )
I hope 270win will be ok for my kudo & nyala ?

I've killed quite a few plains game animals in Africa with my .270 shooting 150 Gr. Nosler Partitions. I even shot an Eland with that combination. That Eland didn't go any further after the shot then the ones I shot with my .338 win. mag or my 375 H&H.

270 Win is my favorite cartridge. Try the new Hornady CX bullet. Work great on PG.

That’s a generous and excellent gift! I’d throw a nice 3-9 scope on there and use as is - maybe add a little more character on your hunt.
I used 150 gr A frames in my 270 on my last safari - excellent results and wouldn’t hesitate to use that same setup again
He threw in a leupold VX-II 3-9
but kept the tally QD rings for his dads sig 375

Last edited:
View attachment 595212View attachment 595213View attachment 595214My hunting buddy chad was showing me some guns he just inherited some mint condition shotguns and a fabulous sig 375h&h , then he pulled out a Winchester m70 pre64 270 and asked what do you think about her ? I love old school Winchester and “said wow I love those “ much to my surprise he said “ I know she is all yours, one condition, you bring her with us to Africa and promise to never sell her “ & “ I love you brother “
well I was speechless ( and kinda misty typing this) !!
now I just need to figure out if I should restore the stock to original ( 40 years of sitting in a gun safe added a little character to the stock )
I hope 270win will be ok for my kudo & nyala ?

What a wonderful gift! I don't have a .270, but I have killed kudu and Nyala with a .30-06. My PH told me that he'd had a client take a giraffe with a .270 and I met a guy that killed a zebra with his. A buddy of mine has been killing mule deer with his .270 and uses 140 grain Accubonds at around 3000 fps. The bucks die quickly. You might want to try that one. I don't think I'd be too keen on taking on a zebra, giraffe or eland with one but I'm sure you'd be fine for most any plains game.

Congratulations on your new rifle. It's something special. Let us know how your safari goes.

Doug

That's a very cool gift, and what a great friend!

Btw, I don't think i knew that Sig made a 375H&H. What model is it?

Great gift is right! I’d put an old Weaver K4 on it and keep it completely old school!

I used a .270 on sable, zebra, wildebeast and kudu. Should be fine. Shoot Triple Shocks or some similar premium bullets. Hit your target... Go.... shoot a lot....

“”I don't think i knew that Sig made a 375H&H. What model is it?””
I think it’s a sig Sauer elegance ,

I'll be the contrarian. The rifle has little actual collector value as is because the stock was cut for that hideous white-line pad. So, its value is a a pre-64 shooter (a nice shooter to own). Its flaking stock has no meaning to you because it was done mainly through neglect likely sitting in a closet for decades. I absolutely would have it restored and have that pad replaced with something appropriate for a rifle going to Africa (a solid red Winchester marked pad comes to mind). You will have done nothing to further hurt its collector value, and have done something meaningful to enhance your own enjoyment of the rifle. Also, I would put a good modern glass on it. A VX-II is ok, but there are better options from Leupold. Tally rings are an easy phone call away when you decide on the scope. And yes, a .270 will be fine with the right bullet.

Last edited:
+1 for refinish. Get the rifle
Set up perfectly to your tastes and needs. You will get more enjoyment out of it if you do so.

What a wonderful friend you are, and what a lovely gift! Personally, I prefer to leave it alone and add a vintage Leupold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErnestineD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]