Fill this Rifle Gap

I always wanted one of these…
View attachment 588404

getting hand loading components (let alone factory loaded ammunition) for the .318 Westley Richards can pose quite a challenge.

More feasible options include:
.338 Winchester Magnum
9.3x62mm Mauser
.404 Jeffery
Always wanted one too and then this wonderful example turned up with a 425WR takedown as a pair . Grabbed both and have never regretted it . Woodleigh are back in production and with Bertram brass and Australian powders I have not had problems feeding either rifle - but this could just be good luck . Acknowledge there are other newer cartridge/ rifle combos but the 318WR really is a lovely cartridge a fits a standard M98 action .

IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2414.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no no no . As a good Queenslander I am addicted to Bundy Rum and Coke ( out of a bottle ) with ice and lime in a tall glass in summer. In winter it is Bundy and milk for Breakfast , Lunch and Dinner . Been keeping up this routine for 55 years with no apparent detriment to my health (?!!!)
@PCC600
MAAAATE don't stop drinking Bundy. It's a health drink. In summer it keeps mozzies away and winter keeps colds and flu away
Bob

You are correct in your assumption that not much milk is used . Rum and milk was the staple of every cattle mustering camp in southern Qld and northern NSW in winter . Have a hit , jump on the horse and go .
@PCC600
Don't forget to give it to the horse as well
Bib

my old horses used to love the sugar in the Coke . Never gave them rum - probably why I have outlived them .
I’m trying to work out why someone would drink that horrible stuff anyway. But then I’m not addicted to sugar and don’t drink any lollywater. Dont even have it in tea or coffee
Back on topic. 318 or 425 WR would be good, and just unusual enough to fit in with the OPs want ( dare I say need :)) for the unusual/obscure......which, not only do I understand, but thoroughly agree with and endorse
gumpy

Everything has to be about Bundy, vegimite, and Whelens with you aussies!

And classic timber and wood rifles in oddball calibres, don’t forget them
gumpy
Well I have a penchant for those as well, so I’ll let that one slide

I will also throw out my vote for 9.3x62. That being said You didn't mention a budget for what to use the husky 8x57 action for.

So easiest and cheapest fit to the action
22-250
257 Bob
338/06
375 whelen
400 Whelen

A bit more expensive
338WM
416 taylor
404 Jeffery
458 WM

Very expensive
500Jeffery

Another point is the 6.5 has a Schultz and Larsen barrel. Is it worth keeping, or spend the extra few hundred bucks and start fresh?

AaronN, unlike you, I have an affinity for the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser, including the rifle itself. I have given both of my older grandsons sporterized versions that they use for deer and hog hunting. I've taken mine to Africa, my youngest grandson will be taking his to Africa this July. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have yet to find a Swede that didn't shoot.

AaronN, unlike you, I have an affinity for the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser, including the rifle itself. I have given both of my older grandsons sporterized versions that they use for deer and hog hunting. I've taken mine to Africa, my youngest grandson will be taking his to Africa this July. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have yet to find a Swede that didn't shoot.
You need not worry, the Swede will remain a Swede!

I will also throw out my vote for 9.3x62. That being said You didn't mention a budget for what to use the husky 8x57 action for.

So easiest and cheapest fit to the action
22-250
257 Bob
338/06
375 whelen
400 Whelen

A bit more expensive
338WM
416 taylor
404 Jeffery
458 WM

Very expensive
500Jeffery
I’m spitballing here but I’m betting I’ll be in for close to 3k per rifle (action, stock, barrel, bottom metal, safety, trigger, sights)? And I’m sure I’ll be sending you a message as I’d like to tackle some of this myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TorriKenne

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg