Mac13

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Mexico, South Africa
I have been scouring the internet for 375 H&H 300 Grain, Swift A Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw to which I have found none listed anywhere.
I decided to call one of the local guns stores in my area and low and behold they have around 16-20 boxes of 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the new plastic case and they have several in the old paper boxes as well
If anyone is going on a hunt this year and is in need of this load, PM me and I will see what I can do to help you out.
DO NOT contact me if you are looking to buy this ammunition and turn around and sell it for a profit! You must be going on a hunt this year.
I am only looking to help fellow AH Members that need it, as this load is impossible to find.

Last edited:
That is great news @375Fox! Maybe there is more out there than what I thought if you know the specific store to go to.

Both my rifle and I prefer the TBBC over the A-Frames but have been making do with the A-Frames.

I’m curious what sways you toward the TBBC and away from the A-Frames?

I’m curious what sways you toward the TBBC and away from the A-Frames?
My gun will stack them in a single hole at 100yds. A-Frames are same POI but the group opens up a bit.

I’ve recovered almost every TBBC I’ve shot except on maybe Impala, and similar sized PG. Can’t say the same on A-Frames. Last year in Zim I got pass throughs on a Buffalo, multiple on Eland, and almost every Zebra. Got a pass through on several Kudu as well. I like the round to stop just under the skin knowing 100% of the energy was dumped inside the animal. I did recover an A-Fram from the eland which i could visible see under the skin but that was a quartering away shot.

My gun will stack them in a single hole at 100yds. A-Frames are same POI but the group opens up a bit.

I’ve recovered almost every TBBC I’ve shot except on maybe Impala, and similar sized PG. Can’t say the same on A-Frames. Last year in Zim I got pass throughs on a Buffalo, multiple on Eland, and almost every Zebra. Got a pass through on several Kudu as well. I like the round to stop just under the skin knowing 100% of the energy was dumped inside the animal. I did recover an A-Fram from the eland which i could visible see under the skin but that was a quartering away shot.
Interesting. Very surprised on the buffalo pass through. I would choose the TBBC over Swift A Frame but I’d still put them in same category. I’ve had perfect performance from both but the performance at full muzzle velocity from TBBC impresses me more. Neither are particularly accurate in my 375 H&H but very acceptable hunting accuracy.

Interesting. Very surprised on the buffalo pass through. I would choose the TBBC over Swift A Frame but I’d still put them in same category. I’ve had perfect performance from both but the performance at full muzzle velocity from TBBC impresses me more. Neither are particularly accurate in my 375 H&H but very acceptable hunting accuracy.
I was honestly surprised as well on the Buffalo. It was slight quartering away so I got the offside shoulder. I really can’t complain bc a 1 shot Buffalo that went down less than 20 yards from the shot is nothing to complain about.

These are two Pretty good bullets to have to choose between. I think the only thing I differ on is I prefer an exit hole for blood to pour out on both sides. The theory that 100% of the energy was
“dumped inside” while true is also flawed as a comparison because it obviously takes just a wee bit more energy to pass through the far side. so which did more damage is really the true measure as I see it.

Last edited:
These are two Pretty good bullets to have to choose between. I think the only thing I differ on is I prefer an exit hole for blood to pour out on both sides. The theory that 100% of the energy was
“dumped inside” while true is also flawed as a comparison because it obviously takes just a wee bit more energy to pass through the far side. so which did more damage is really the true measure as I see it.
I also like an exit hole and better blood trail many cases. However, it’s the bullet velocity that makes a pass through. Energy is calculated from velocity and mass. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2*mass*velocity squared. If a two bullets leave the muzzle at same velocity but one exited animal and other didn’t the bullet that didn’t exit technically deposited more energy into animal which should be seen the amount of tissue damage around the wound channel especially early wound channel. The energy put into animal is the energy at velocity before entry minus the energy at exit velocity possibly lower mass as well. If a bullet exits it’s taking energy with it that wasn’t put into animal, however it might also mean the wound channel closer to exit is more severe than the wound channel of a bullet that came to a stop but it also likely means the overall wound channel wasn’t as severe in comparison. There have been a lot of arguments made here on AH that energy is irrelevant and I think that’s crazy. The bullet is a means to transfer energy over the depth of penetration as seen in the wound channel. If energy was irrelevant FMJ would kill equally quickly as mushrooming bullets.

Agreed, they’re both good bullets. I’ll take either over an Hornady DGX, Barnes TSX, Norma Oryx, or anything of the like. I’ve shot more A-Frames than TBBC because of availability but my personal results steer me to TBBC.

Anywhere other than Africa I like an exit hole. In Africa I don’t worry about an exit because all the good outfitters have the best trackers which make the other tracker look like they can’t follow a blood trail. When they can follow a specific track in amongst a herd for miles or tell you where they’re heading so you can intercept them that’s skill. A wounded animal makes even more distinct tracks so on the off chance i do have a bad shot, i want all that KE inside them and I’ll let the trackers follow them

So, for the pure joy of a good discussion, logicaly, a supporter of your theory might prefer a Berger bullet that basically detonates just after entry, to say a monolithic solid on a charging elephant or buffalo, resting comfortably in the knowledge that all of the energy was going to be deposited in the beast?

As my steel design professor one said, “There are a lot of spokes on this wheel.”

I also like an exit hole and better blood trail many cases. However, it’s the bullet velocity that makes a pass through. Energy is calculated from velocity and mass. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2*mass*velocity squared. If a two bullets leave the muzzle at same velocity but one exited animal and other didn’t the bullet that didn’t exit technically deposited more energy into animal which should be seen the amount of tissue damage around the wound channel especially early wound channel. The energy put into animal is the energy at velocity before entry minus the energy at exit velocity possibly lower mass as well. If a bullet exits it’s taking energy with it that wasn’t put into animal, however it might also mean the wound channel closer to exit is more severe than the wound channel of a bullet that came to a stop but it also likely means the overall wound channel wasn’t as severe in comparison. There have been a lot of arguments made here on AH that energy is irrelevant and I think that’s crazy. The bullet is a means to transfer energy over the depth of penetration as seen in the wound channel. If energy was irrelevant FMJ would kill equally quickly as mushrooming bullets.
Bullets do some crazy stuff and I don’t even try to make sense of it.

TBBC and A-Frames are my preferred loadings for a 375 with the TBBC just edging out the A-Frames. Some of the reports on here make me want to try the CEB’s too.

For non 375 the Terminal Ascent bullet has become my favorite. Shouldn’t be surprising since it’s so similar to the TBBC. I also really like several Bergers, TTSX’s, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Sciroccos, Fusions, and TSX’s in certain calibers.

So, for the pure joy of a good discussion, logicaly, a supporter of your theory might prefer a Berger bullet that basically detonates just after entry, to say a monolithic solid on a charging elephant or buffalo, resting comfortably in the knowledge that all of the energy was going to be deposited in the beast?

As my steel design professor one said, “There are a lot of spokes on this wheel.”
I’d say quite a difference to a bullet that explodes on impact with limited penetration vs a bullet that deposits it energy over the full length of the vitals. Energy alone doesn’t kill but it speeds up the process. I’d compare a swift on the far side of the animal that came to a stop vs a FMJ that penciled through.

It’s nice to have so many good options.

My trusty Winchester M70 in 375 H&H likes A Frames ok. But it just loves the standard Federal Premium TBBC loads :)

We really need to get trying ammo in @Just Gina 375 Double. I think we have enough ammo but keeping this tread in mind;)

I was just posting how I like Bergers as well. For NA game like Whitetail and Pronghorn I love them. I traditionally see exits with that sized game animal. It really depends on the species, gun, and hunting style for the bullet I hunt with but if my gun likes the Terminal Ascents I’m shooting those. So far my 300WM, 308 and 208AI love them. My 257 is a TTSX fan.

On a buffalo I now load solids as shots #2-4 and have another TBBC or A-Frame as #5. I saw my Woodleigh solid (#2 shot) on my first buff enter between chest/shoulder as it turned towards us at close range after the double shoulder shot. It passed through the Buffalo length of the Buffalo exiting in-front of the rear hip and turn him away. I want a solid next in case of a charge but would prefer the damage a soft does.

My trusty Winchester M70 in 375 H&H likes A Frames ok. But it just loves the standard Federal Premium TBBC loads :)

We really need to get trying ammo in @Just Gina 375 Double. I think we have enough ammo but keeping this tread in mind;)
I’m shooting a Pre64 M70 so there might be something to those guns likening the TBBC the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxColbert

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)