Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Like most of us, I need another rifle like I need a hole in my foot. Problem is my local gun shop just bought an Estate firearms collection with a 330 Dakota rifle. Typical Dakota 76 with high grade wood, beautiful checkering, Talley QD mounts, plus 200 once fired cases and several boxes of factory ammo. The rifle has made 2 trips to Africa with it's owner, and has some small handling marks. Asking price of $2,000 seems reasonable given that I've seen other Dakota rifles sell for nearly 3 times that amount.

Marius @HUNTROMANIA has some nice Stags that I'll be chasing in 2025, and this seems like a perfect match. Buy or pass?

Also, I believe this is the Safari model with island rear sight and barrel band sling mount.

$2,000 is a very good price for a Dakota like you describe. I suspect the 330 Dakota chambering is the reason for the discount. Ammunition will be hard to come by. I believe it’s a reloading-only proposition. With the cases and ammo included, it’s hard to argue. Buy it!

How bout a picture?

If you aren't happy with the caliber you could always re-barrel it. I believe the 330DAKOTA is based on the 404J shortened to 2.5", so there are are a few good options out there like the 375RUGER...etc.

I don't see a lot of downsides with buying it. Plus this is AH...what did you expect?

$2,000 is a very good price for a Dakota like you describe. I suspect the 330 Dakota chambering is the reason for the discount. Ammunition will be hard to come by. I believe it’s a reloading-only proposition. With the cases and ammo included, it’s hard to argue. Buy it!
Exactly what I was thinking. I haven't seen a box of Dakota ammo in any caliber for quite a few years, nor brass for that matter. If it had been chambered in a common caliber I would have walked out the door with it.

Maybe ask your Mommy?

How bout a picture?
I'll stop by tomorrow and snap some pics. I'd like some opinions here on exactly what it is.

If my memory is correct, most of these had Douglas barrels 23 or 24 inches long, island style iron sights not a quarter rib, ebony for end tip, barrel band sling swivel, semi gloss bluing.

This does NOT appear to be the traveler model with the take down barrel.

You may need properly headstamped brass to travel to Africa with it, but 200 once-fired cases will be a lifetime supply at least for hunting ammo if you get a custom sizing die so that the brass is barely worked. Whidden will make one for you using the fired brass as a template.

If you are going to shoot it a lot for practice, 200 cases might still be enough (maybe some neck annealing along the way) but it would probably be worthwhile to make some from 404 Jeffery cases. Those are also a bit hard to find at present but hard to imagine there won’t be some available by one means or another.

If you don’t reload, it’s assuredly a crazy idea to buy it, but if you do, thats a hell of a deal on a nice rifle

I’d spend $1400 and have it rebarreled by Parkwest into a more desirable caliber. (404J wouldn’t even require a bolt face change).

I’d sell that brass for a pretty penny to subsidize the conversion cost.

You’re not going to find a Dakota Safari grade, model 76, in 404J for $2000+$1400=$3400 any other way. Heck, you’re not going to find one for $5400 Either.

IMG_20240410_080309673.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news. The rifle is still available and comes with a set of RCBS dies.

Bad news. The gun store owner informed me that the remaining brass and ammo were separated from the rifle and sold.

Good news. The rifle is still available and comes with a set of RCBS dies.

Bad news. The gun store owner informed me that the remaining brass and ammo were separated from the rifle and sold.
I think the owner just turned it into a $500 rifle

What the heck? Must have been a buddy needed some or something as that ammo and brass was the thing helping sell that.

I’d still say it’s worth picking up but it better be $1500 or so now.

Yes, that was not a smart move for selling the rifle. Now it’s a re barrel. Which is still worth the price. See if they will haggle further. Using the re barrel argument

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittanyPa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]