Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

Hello, @Mike B. ~

I find posts like yours extremely valuable. If you send me a PM with your serial number I can follow up on your Elan and see what the deal is. I'll be out this week, so it will be upon my return.

I will also copy and paste your post in an email to Chapuis to make them aware of the problem you've had with the rib. They are on their Summer break at the moment and they'll be back at the end of August.

Re. your UGEX, there is a chance that adding the scope will alter the regulation. This is sometimes (but not always) the case with double rifles. I hope the regulation of yours doesn't change after scoping it, but in case it does, in the greatest majority of the cases playing around with different handloads takes care of it. And of course the option of having it re-regulated with the scope mounted is always a possibility.

Please let me know!
@Tom Leoni PM sent.

I would like to point out that there are a lot of good things going on with these guns as well. I think the wood and the engraving look fantastic. Beyond what I have complained about, the fit and finish is good. If I was shooting open sights only, I would have never known a thing about the issues I have had beyond the elan and its action issue. The Ugex action functions just how I would expect a break action gun to work. I am sure it will do fine when I shoot it. I just hope I have a little luck on my side with the scope and not throwing off the regulation but I was certainly prepared to possibly have to get it regulated again with the scope on it.

Most of what I am complaining about are fairly minor issues, albeit ones that require spending additional money on to fix. That is my biggest gripe. Obviously the action issue is bigger, but the screws and wider rib on the Elan can easily be worked around by throwing money at it. As for when I tried mounting the scope base on the Ugex, I believe the measurement I got with a pair of calipers was 1.245" on the Ugex opening and the recknagel mount base plate came in at 1.385". I mounted the scope two days ago so my memory is somewhat fresh here, but I wish I would have written those down but I did not. This could all fall on recknagel and their manufacturing process as well since I am not sure who is actually so far off. Doing a little bit of work on that base plate was easy enough and it now fits and is ready to be shot with the scope.

Hello all, what is the latest news on the Iphisi?

Reactions: ACM
Hello all, what is the latest news on the Iphisi?
Hi Kevin, contact @ActionBob, He and or his wife bought one a year ago and already sent it to JJ for adjustments. Have heard no further on the rifle since then. I believe I am correct on this.

Hi Kevin, contact @ActionBob, He and or his wife bought one a year ago and already sent it to JJ for adjustments. Have heard no further on the rifle since then. I believe I am correct on this.
David, Gina bought that rifle. The first one sold I believe. However we are having a very busy year to say the least. In fact it is so busy it will probably take us a year and half or two years to get through it. @Just Gina has not found time to shoot her Iphisi and I believe @Kevin Peacocke knows this. I'm sure Gina will write up a report when she is damned good and ready. And I'm quit sure she will not be pushed to do it before then....

:E Tap Foot: (Kevin)

:A Popcorn: (me) :D Beer Bottle: (also me)

Hi AB, Yes I know you and Gina are snowed under and my enquiry wasn’t directed at you. More at Tom really, not a push, just an enquiry Tom - how are things going with the Iphisi? It is such a good idea, lets hope it succeeds. It looks like the 450/400 is the most common calibre double being sold right now, which to me confirms that these smaller doubles are it. What do you think @Chris Sells?

Hi, Kevin—what specific questions do you have for me?

Hello Tom, I know of several folks who are interested in this double, but the truth is that there is very little feedback, specifically a field test. How does it shoot, ie regulation, balance and accuracy?
Have there been any reliability issues? Has anyone used it on a hunt? It is a really good idea, but how has it panned out?

Hello Tom, I know of several folks who are interested in this double, but the truth is that there is very little feedback, specifically a field test. How does it shoot, ie regulation, balance and accuracy?
Have there been any reliability issues? Has anyone used it on a hunt? It is a really good idea, but how has it panned out?
I too, have been eagerly awaiting the answers to these questions. This is a double I have had my eye on since its announcement and would love to hear some real-world feedback.
An additional question: When is the Iphisi 450/400 supposed to arrive on the scene?

I'm thinking @Just Gina and/or @ActionBob need to chime in here.

I'm thinking @Just Gina and/or @ActionBob need to chime in here.
Ok, Safari Barbie aka @Just Gina says to tell everyone that she has been slaving like a cursed Princess in a fairy tale, painting and even repairing drywall. So we are getting down to the wire on our next trip to Africa and she asked me to go sight in and shoot her Iphisi. So I did that tonight. Got it somewhat sighted in... I think we may want the left barrel sighted at 100 yards but I was shooting at 55 off Stable Sticks. So it's shooting high and it got late before I got to stretch it out to 100 yards. And in all fairness it was heating up so not sure how accuracy was being effected.

If you recall Gina had JJ cut the stock and install a mercury recoil reducer as well as mount a Swarovski Z8 1-8. I was using the scope tonight. The LOP is short for me. The gun is heavy and recoil very controlled and probably on par with my Winchester M70 in 375 H&H.

Like too many doubles, it appears to love Hornady ammo. I started with DGS then moved on to Federal TBBC. I was satisfied with both. In fact the left barrel was so close that it knocked the sticker off the hole. I drew an X though the left DGX and the one above is the left TBBC.

It ejects nicely as JJ has trimmed that spring so it pitched brass out nicely but not 10 feet away. To start out I needed to poke the cartridges in to get past the clip for extracting the none rimmed cartridges. After a few shots they dropped in nicely so pretty happy with that.

I then tried som Remington Premium A Frames and Federal Trophy Copper. Both were about 5" apart with the shots still crossing. Again by then the barrels were heating up.

Screenshot_20240517-201918_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @ActionBob. Interesting that yet another double likes Hornady, mine too, thank you @Hornady for making good ammo fur us.
From a price point and value for money the Iphisi is very interesting, nay tempting. Several of my buddies are keen because of the commonality of 375 H&H here, but the Iphisi was an unknown. I kid you not, this post is the first time I have been able to read anything about it shooting. @Tom Leoni sorry I don't mean to barb you, but you need to post more on the Iphisi since it is clearly being asked for, I just don't understand the vacuum.

I wasn't aware of the 450/400 variant, what is the score there please?

Sorry, Kevin--I must have misunderstood you. I thought the idea was to have users--i.e., independent people other than the Chapuis product manager--offer unbiased opinions about the rifle.

The Iphisi's functioning is exactly like all other Chapuis African doubles (Brousse and Jungle, called "Elan" here in the US)--nothing different about the action that has been around since at least the '70s, the extractors, the sights, the stock, the recoil pad, etc. The only differences between this model and all other Chapuis African doubles are the following:

1 - The price point--achieved through minimal engraving and the colorcase finish, and

2 - The scope mounting system. Besides the Recknagel pivot mounts (common to all Chapuis African doubles), the Iphisi has Talley bases out of the box, for those who don't want to spend $500+

I would also add that as of later this year, all .375, .450-400 and .470 Chapuis doubles will take specially-made Skinner Sights accessories: a) an adjustable peep sight mounted in the rear scopemounting slot, plus a flat block to replace the existing express sights; and b) a ready-made adapter for red-dot sights to be mounted on the forward scopemounting slot. These will be available for the Iphisi and the Elan models and require no gunsmithing or alteration to the rifles.

As for the .450-400 Iphisi, I'm introducing it in 2025. In the spirit of full disclosure, 2024 is the last year in which I'll be able to hold the $9,999 MSRP for the Iphisi (USA market). Production costs in France have gone up and I'm already operating on a fairly thin margin, so I expect that starting next year MSRP will be a bit higher. The .450-400 will cost more than the .375, of course. I will keep everyone posted about the specifics (which I don't know yet, so I couldn't answer "by how much?").

Lastly, it's not that the Iphisi "likes" Hornady ammo; it's expressly regulated for it, as per my specifications to the factory. Naturally, it will very likely do fine with other brands or loads--I shoot my regular 270gr load in mine and it does very acceptably with it. :giggle:

Sorry, Kevin--I must have misunderstood you. I thought the idea was to have users--i.e., independent people other than the Chapuis product manager--offer unbiased opinions about the rifle.

The Iphisi's functioning is exactly like all other Chapuis African doubles (Brousse and Jungle, called "Elan" here in the US)--nothing different about the action that has been around since at least the '70s, the extractors, the sights, the stock, the recoil pad, etc. The only differences between this model and all other Chapuis African doubles are the following:

1 - The price point--achieved through minimal engraving and the colorcase finish, and

2 - The scope mounting system. Besides the Recknagel pivot mounts (common to all Chapuis African doubles), the Iphisi has Talley bases out of the box, for those who don't want to spend $500+

I would also add that as of later this year, all .375, .450-400 and .470 Chapuis doubles will take specially-made Skinner Sights accessories: a) an adjustable peep sight mounted in the rear scopemounting slot, plus a flat block to replace the existing express sights; and b) a ready-made adapter for red-dot sights to be mounted on the forward scopemounting slot. These will be available for the Iphisi and the Elan models and require no gunsmithing or alteration to the rifles.

As for the .450-400 Iphisi, I'm introducing it in 2025. In the spirit of full disclosure, 2024 is the last year in which I'll be able to hold the $9,999 MSRP for the Iphisi (USA market). Production costs in France have gone up and I'm already operating on a fairly thin margin, so I expect that starting next year MSRP will be a bit higher. The .450-400 will cost more than the .375, of course. I will keep everyone posted about the specifics (which I don't know yet, so I couldn't answer "by how much?").

Lastly, it's not that the Iphisi "likes" Hornady ammo; it's expressly regulated for it, as per my specifications to the factory. Naturally, it will very likely do fine with other brands or loads--I shoot my regular 270gr load in mine and it does very acceptably with it. :giggle:
I was thinking of trying the Hornady 270 grain SP-RP ammo.... in my brief trial lady night, it seems like more velocity equalled tighter regulation.

However if Gina and/or her dad choose to use the Iphisi for buffalo this July, I'm pretty sure we will feed it the 300 grain Federal TBBC. I was offered some of those in a high velocity version and turned it down because I wanted to stay with consistent ammo as I know it is under 1 moa in my Winchester M70..... However now I'm kicking myself for not buying it to try in the Iphisi.

Not too interested in having them shoot buffalo with the standard DGS nor the 270 grain softs from Hornady.

Tom i sure wish you had these regulated with Federal ammo.

Why would one want a dg double in a rimless belted cartridge?

Why would one want a dg double in a rimless belted cartridge?
Well. Because my wife wanted it.

The other reason is ammo availability and performance.

It does function well but we had JJ weaken the ejectors because Chapuis doubles in general are too stiff and can pitch brass 15 feet which is ridiculous. Those springs are set on closing so trimming them also makes closing easier.. Both Gina's Chapuis are still plenty stiff even after JJ did action jobs to loosen them. But the Iphisi is feeling really good after a few shots so pretty happy with that all. It is too bad they come so stiff from the factory. Maybe Tom could work on that;)

I talked to JJ on the phone this week. We got around to the topic of non rimmed cartridges in a double. I asked his thoughts. He was very firm in his opinion that for quality modern DR’s.

Rimless is a non issue. He does not get broken rifles sent to him due to non rimmed brass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louisehox

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}