Can we please stop talking about "flat shooting" cartridges

Bob you are a renascence man and an inspiration to me. As you can see I don’t set my sights too high.
@MS 9x56
My wife thinks I'm a real treasure at times. It's just a pity she can't rebury me yet.
Bob

@375 Ruger Fan
2,800fps is to be expected out of a 243 with 100 grainers. Unfortunately it ain't all Winchester cracked it up to be velocity wise. Hell they even revised their velocities down because they knew they were pie in the sky.
Bob

Bob,

You are still smoking the good stuff. This is my 6XC shooting a 115 Dtac over a charge of 40grs of Varget. I have pushed 243win faster than that. I'm shooting 105 Berger Hybrids at 3040, those same Berger bullets have taken, Elk, Mule deer, Aoudad sheep, and alot more cleanly. My 6GT will be finished this week. It will push a 109Eldm to 3020-3040 with about 37grs of Varget. It is a much smaller case than the 6XC. It is very efficient. It's about .150" longer than a Dasher.

Screenshot_20231226_220238_Gallery.jpg

Bob,

You are still smoking the good stuff. This is my 6XC shooting a 115 Dtac over a charge of 40grs of Varget. I have pushed 243win faster than that. I'm shooting 105 Berger Hybrids at 3040, those same Berger bullets have taken, Elk, Mule deer, Aoudad sheep, and alot more cleanly. My 6GT will be finished this week. It will push a 109Eldm to 3020-3040 with about 37grs of Varget. It is a much smaller case than the 6XC. It is very efficient. It's about .150" longer than a Dasher.

View attachment 576736
@Inline6
My personal experience with that horrible little cartridge is no matter what I load into it using adi 2213sc/H4831SC or 2209/H4350 I can't get anywhere near the book velocity with 87 or 100 grainers out of a 22 inch barrel.
With 100 grainers I run into pressure problems before I get book velocity.
We can't get any of those new powders in Australia so we use what we can. Maybe Reloader 17,19 or 22 would do better but it's unobtainium.
Even @Badboymelvin only got 2,800 and a bit fps with his loads but he wasn't at top loads and I forget what projectile.
Bob

@Inline6
My personal experience with that horrible little cartridge is no matter what I load into it using adi 2213sc/H4831SC or 2209/H4350 I can't get anywhere near the book velocity with 87 or 100 grainers out of a 22 inch barrel.
With 100 grainers I run into pressure problems before I get book velocity.
We can't get any of those new powders in Australia so we use what we can. Maybe Reloader 17,19 or 22 would do better but it's unobtainium.
Even @Badboymelvin only got 2,800 and a bit fps with his loads but he wasn't at top loads and I forget what projectile.
Bob

They must sell you second rate barrels down their. My 6CM was clocking 3280fps without pressure. Standard 243 win I have had over 3300fps. Most of my barrels have been 24"‐26". They were all cut with match reamers throated for longer bullets. 6XC, 6CM were with H4350 and the 243 was with H1000 and H4350.

They must sell you second rate barrels down their. My 6CM was clocking 3280fps without pressure. Standard 243 win I have had over 3300fps. Most of my barrels have been 24"‐26". They were all cut with match reamers throated for longer bullets. 6XC, 6CM were with H4350 and the 243 was with H1000 and H4350.
You need a 24 inch + bbl with a 243 i have a 24 inch 1-9 twist shillen & 100g bullets & AR2213 sc get 3000 fps with no pressure signs verified by a lab radar.

You need a 24 inch + bbl with a 243 i have a 24 inch 1-9 twist shillen & 100g bullets & AR2213 sc get 3000 fps with no pressure signs verified by a lab radar.
@rdog
I couldn't get anywhere near that with a 1:10 twist 22 inch barrel on 2 Tikkas, 1 Sako and 1 BSA. With standard flat base 100 grainers
Bob

All mine have been 1-8 to 1-7, the 105s and up in shooting need a faster twist.

Just been looking at the new(ish) 6.8W; interesting concept for a short action build. My take on the idea is a Ruger No. 1 in 300WSM, 9" twist barrel, shooting the heaviest, high B C bullets I can find. Others have done it, in specific long-range target rifles, one of which I believe won a 1K comp with a sub 2.5", 10 shot group.

Question:

Why do people with short action rilfes seem to prefer the longest possible, high BC bullets. Seems self limiting to me.

Question:

Why do people with short action rilfes seem to prefer the longest possible, high BC bullets. Seems self limiting to me.
@Nevada Mike
Because they're Muppets.
If the built it on an intermediate or standard lenght action they could seat the projectiles out to get more powder in.
That's why the 257 Roberts is better in a standard action V a short action.
Maybe they are frightened people will short stroke an action and then say the cartridge has feeding issues
Bob

I suspect the "should I carry a knife" thread to give this a run for the money.

Since you seem so content to keep the dream alive...yay for the 6.5 wound a lot/kills too slow! The guy that tagged the elk at 700 yards found out it was flat shooting...flat shooting to wound a game animal.

I suspect the "should I carry a knife" thread to give this a run for the money.
If they're asking themselves if they should carry a knife, they probably need to be looking at safety scissors....

Since you seem so content to keep the dream alive...yay for the 6.5 wound a lot/kills too slow! The guy that tagged the elk at 700 yards found out it was flat shooting...flat shooting to wound a game animal.

If they're asking themselves if they should carry a knife, they probably need to be looking at safety scissors....
I was under the impression the 6.5x55 Swede had an outstanding record on moose and deer in Europe.

I believe when used within reasonable distance for the game and cartridge.
That strikes me as being more grey matter specific than cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheLevitz

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani