California, LOL

From the LA Times on this:

The conservancy plans to hire sharpshooters from the nonprofit White Buffalo Inc., of Connecticut, to begin eradicating the deer next fall. Hunters will use AR-15-style rifles with nonlead bullets, so that animals that scavenge the carcasses will not be poisoned.

Hunted deer will be left where they fall because trying to airlift them from the rough, nearly inaccessible island interior would be dangerous and costly, officials said. However, conservancy and state officials intend to remove carcasses from the vicinity of Avalon and roadsides.

What a waste! 2,000 deer culled and all that meat just left for scavengers. Imagine even a fraction of it going to food banks.
That is the same company that our BC Gov has hired for our deer eradication. They did make a statement that they will "do their best" to recover as many carcases as possible for donations to charities.

Pick me, I would gladly pay Gov fees, trespass fee, tag fee, ferry fee, gas, accommodations plus, plus and more all taxed of course for an opportunity at a few fallow deer.

MB

We may be able to file a lawsuit and get an injunction to stop this.......perhaps there is not enough diversity on the culling team? No trannies or First Nation medicine men. Or something.......FWB

Found on another site.

I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years on Catalina scuba diving and hiking the back country, but never hunted it.

You can hunt it, but there's a reason it's not hunted sufficiently to control numbers.

To make a long story short:

-The deer are small. -The island is essentially all private property that you can jump through some hoops to get access to. -The season is closed for the rut. -The archery season is in the middle of summer when the deer are nocturnal. -You have to take a boat from the armpit of Los Angeles to get there - it's an all-day affair between commuting to the harbor, to getting on the boat, to getting off the boat, and then getting home is another full day. -Hotels in Avalon are expensive. -The deer are no where near Avalon, for the most part. There are some roads, but there's no car rental and you can't just rent a golf cart and drive them. This is a back-country hunt. -Water is a big problem in the winter and a huge problem in the summer. -Above all else, the island is rugged and it's a shitty place to hunt.

Not many people are going to go through the hassle of going to Catalina to hunt elusive mule deer does and tiny bucks, so the population is high.

They could certainly make hunting there easier and more hunter-friendly, but most people aren't going to huff it miles on foot with a pack for this kind of hunt when they could have a better hunt for bigger deer elsewhere with easier logistics.

Found on another site.

I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years on Catalina scuba diving and hiking the back country, but never hunted it.

You can hunt it, but there's a reason it's not hunted sufficiently to control numbers.

To make a long story short:

-The deer are small. -The island is essentially all private property that you can jump through some hoops to get access to. -The season is closed for the rut. -The archery season is in the middle of summer when the deer are nocturnal. -You have to take a boat from the armpit of Los Angeles to get there - it's an all-day affair between commuting to the harbor, to getting on the boat, to getting off the boat, and then getting home is another full day. -Hotels in Avalon are expensive. -The deer are no where near Avalon, for the most part. There are some roads, but there's no car rental and you can't just rent a golf cart and drive them. This is a back-country hunt. -Water is a big problem in the winter and a huge problem in the summer. -Above all else, the island is rugged and it's a shitty place to hunt.

Not many people are going to go through the hassle of going to Catalina to hunt elusive mule deer does and tiny bucks, so the population is high.

They could certainly make hunting there easier and more hunter-friendly, but most people aren't going to huff it miles on foot with a pack for this kind of hunt when they could have a better hunt for bigger deer elsewhere with easier logistics.
Well said. To hunt Catalina for deer (or goats or hags) you have to go through an out fitter and it's expensive. A buddy of mine bow hunted goats out there many years ago. One of the goats that they shot fell off a cliff into a huge patch of prickly pear cactus and couldn't be recovered.

Looks like they have some time where you don’t have to be guided.

IMG_5200.png

I'm starting to suspect that the leaders of these government entities who insist that it's better to pay huge sums to solve these problems than to let hunters pay to solve them are likely being bribed huge sums by the company/companies being hired. You know, the Biden model.

From the LA Times on this:

The conservancy plans to hire sharpshooters from the nonprofit White Buffalo Inc., of Connecticut, to begin eradicating the deer next fall. Hunters will use AR-15-style rifles with nonlead bullets, so that animals that scavenge the carcasses will not be poisoned.

Hunted deer will be left where they fall because trying to airlift them from the rough, nearly inaccessible island interior would be dangerous and costly, officials said. However, conservancy and state officials intend to remove carcasses from the vicinity of Avalon and roadsides.

What a waste! 2,000 deer culled and all that meat just left for scavengers. Imagine even a fraction of it going to food banks.

In other news, coyote and wolf population exploded on catalina island in 2024

You have to join the Catalina Island Conservancy for $65+ a year. I posted the link with requirements earlier in the thread.

Don’t forget the Santa Rosa Island elk/deer fiasco……
And the "removal" of mountain goats from the Olympic National Park. It involved a lot of dead goats, movement of some to elsewhere by helecopter and abandonment of kids which died. I do not know what the final bill was but the park officials said it was based on the "public's" desire not to allow hunting to control the numbers. It was never even proven that goats were not native to the Olympics.

Then we have the great blacktail deer removal from Angel Island in San Francisco Bay. The deer had been planted on the island about a hundred years before, for hunting by the military staff that were stationed there at the time. When the park service took over the island the hunting stopped and the deer over populated. Again, "the public" objected to hunting and the decision was made to relocate the deer. At a cost of millions, all of the deer were captured and moved to Lake County where they were released but monitored. Within one year every single one of the deer were dead. It seams that you cannot relocate animals that already have a population of the animals in the area.

All of the above incidents clearly show that managed hunting done by people that will pay to conduct the hunting makes much more sense than paying out millions to exterminate or relocate the animals. I think that the government and "the public" would prefer to see a species go extinct than to allow sport hunting.

You have to join the Catalina Island Conservancy for $65+ a year. I posted the link with requirements earlier in the thread.
I saw that, along with your list of other expenses that still means that access is difficult and expensive.
I used to scuba dive on live aboard boat trips around Catalina and other Channel Islands. I only set foot on the island once, when I was 11 or 12. I just remember my parents talking about how much it cost to go there, and that it was all privately held.

1702580355697.png

I believe that they have had other culls on Catalina Island before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GustavoSli

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)