Cal Pappas Memorial Double Rifle Shoot

freefall

AH elite
Reaction score
I think this would be a good thing to do. Would anybody else play? I was thinking on or about the Fourth of July we could converge on the Upper Susitna Shooters range at about mile 93 Parks Highway. I don't know if we could reserve the 50 or 100 yard range, but would be willing to bestir myself enough to find out, which would probably be the extent of effort I'm willing to expend. I thought after shooting we could repair to the nearby Sheep Creek Lodge for burgers and moderate beering (Troopers are thick on the highway on or about holidays).
At any rate, if you'd like to participate say so, if there's much interest I will check out if it's possible. But in NO WAY am I hosting or promoting anything, or assumpting ANY liability for whatever misfortunes may occur to you. Expression of desire to participate shall serve as acknowledgement that you hold myself and my Lovely Accomplice harmless and blameless from any injury, owie, financial loss or embarassment.

If I were in that part of the world, I would make the effort to attend. Never got the pleasure of meeting him myself, but he was always pleasant to follow along with and I've heard nothing but good things about him. He definitely enjoyed the doubles and sharing information about them.

I also think it's good to organize something like this to commemorate his memory.

Unfortunately I cannot participate because I am living a little too far away.

Yah, obviously this is sort of an Alaskacentric event.

Wish I had to be in Alaska this July.

We miss Cal and Alaska greatly. Wish the event was later in the year as we would surely make plans to fly up for a couple days and attend. Just too short of notice to make happen. Hope those that can attend enjoy every minute.

Hey, this doesn't have to be 7/4, that might not work for ME. The Lovely Accomplice oft-times has plans of her own. I was just throwing out a frinstance.
Anybody has any ideas,, lets hear 'em. You notice there has been no interest from anyone in AK up to now.
And if Su Valley is to far for you Anchoraugans to drive, say so! We could do this somewheres else. Birchwood isn't far for anybody, just often awful crowded for my taste.

I would be interested if this came together.
If you are considering Birchwood, you should look at their newest membership/business model first.

if the timing was right i suspect i would go, i bet velo dog would attend as well if the date was right. for me, the 4th of july wont work (to close to the birthday of my accomplice) but, if timing is good, i'd go.

So suggest a date! July 4 is the day before The Lovely Accomplice's birthday as well, and I'm sure she would be less than gruntled to hear I'd suggested bigfooting it with a shoot.
So lets have some suggestions as to how this COULD work, or I'm done talking about it. I'm not going to drive around and pick people up.

So. I'm detecting damn little interest from anyone in AK, mostly just karking. So as Lee said to Grant at Appomatix, "I give up".

I personally like the idea of a memorial shoot! I didn't see this thread and the notice would be have been to short. Perhaps if we plan something for 2024?

-matt

I must have missed this thread also.
If people know about it, they will attend. It won’t be quite the same without “the master of ceremonies himself “ but I don’t think there’d be a more fitting tribute to Cal than to have such a shoot on a regular basis to remember him by. Don’t give up on the idea, it only takes a couple guys to organize and to spread the word. Sometimes it takes a bit to get the ball rolling!
I may only have a year or less left in Alaska but you can count me in on anything needed towards making this happen. I’ll do what I can for as long as I’m able.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swizbills

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]