Best options under $1500

Willard427

Reaction score
I’m looking to make a purchase of a semi or O/U shotgun for clay shooting. My budget is $1500. What would be the top options to search for?

If clays are your primary focus You can find some used Browning Citori’s or Beretta 686’s in that price range. Biggest thing is fit. You might find something that doesn’t carry the same brand recognition with a LOP or adjustable comb height that feels better to you.

If you intend on doing any hunting in addition to the clays then a semi starts coming onto the radar more. I’ve found many used SBE’s, M2’s, and A400’s for under that price. I like older 1100’s as well.

Beretta 686 or Browning B525.

I have put many thousands of rounds through my Weatherby Orion Sporting for clays without a hitch. You will come well under budget for a sporting o/u with an adjustable comb and ported barrels with Weatherby standing behind it. They are made in Turkey by ATA.

In short, stay patient and buy used but well cared for.

I bought a used Beretta A400 Xtreme with kickoff for about what you are looking at. It’s simply the fastest and softest shooting shotgun I’ve ever used. I’m also a HUGE fan of the Benelli SBE, and people are selling off their SBE2’s to upgrade to the 3…could be an opportunity there.

As others have mentioned for O/U’s, Beretta 686 and Browning Citori are solid choices. Both are easily rebuilt if necessary.

If you decide to go the semi-auto route, I too will throw a vote to the Beretta A400 with the kickoff. I have shot one extensively on the trap, skeet, and sporting clay fields and have nothing but accolades to rain down on it. It is far and away the fastest cycling, softest shooting scatter tube I've ever run. As stated above...fit is EVERYTHING! The A400 does come with multiple shims to allow you some customization. I also have one in 20 gauge that is my go to dove gun. There are a lot of good semi-autos out there so take your time finding the right one and good luck!

Last edited:
Randy Wakeman is an online blogger who does a lot of shotgun articles.

Randy also has a Youtube channel:

One of Randy's all-time favorite shotguns is the Browning B-80 / Beretta A-303.

I have had the Beretta version for about 40 years and love it. It's still going strong. I have a 30 inch barrel for skeet and clays and a 26 inch barrel for hunting. Both barrels have the screw in multi-chokes.

For your $1500 budget, you can probably get a 12 and 20 gauge.

Attachments

• 1980 Browning B-80 12ga 30%22 Like New Unfired Near Mint 1st Year Production - Semi Auto Shotg...pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • BERETTA 303 12 GAUGE 28%22 BARREL MULTI CHOKE VENT RIB - Semi Auto Shotguns at GunBroker.com :...pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
I don't know how much experience you have or if you may want to make one gun do all. A lot of the "sporting clay" guns will be heavier than a typical field guns.
I would decide on what action after shooting a good bit. I am a Beretta guy and have various O/U and semiautomatics. I have shot and own 3 of the B80's in different flavors, a reliable gun, not saying if best for clays.
Play around with a few different guns and figure out what you need. If you find a good used gun go for it. Your local gun club might have some on a BB or news letter.

You literally couldn’t give me a semi-auto. I have shot more than my fair share of them, and have never found one that will cycle super hot loads to light weight loads. They will all jam. Now, if you stick to certain loads they are fine, but I shoot super light to fairly hot loads, so I shoot doubles. Miroku is another name you need to look into for a double. They make many of the Brownings. Miroku doesn’t import to the US because of their contract with Browning, but they do in Europe. They also have made guns for several other manufactures such as Charles Daily.

I’ve had more problems with beretta over under stocks than any other brand hands down. I won’t own another beretta.
Currently I have a very old and well used citori 16 ga and a Franchi 20 in o/u. I have another Franchi 16 ga o/u on order.
BUT go swing a half dozen and see how you like the safety and barrel selector and take them apart and have a good look. Check out different stock styles shapes and wood types-like buying a puppy, take home the one that loves you and keep it as long as possible

I’m looking to make a purchase of a semi or O/U shotgun for clay shooting. My budget is $1500. What would be the top options to search for?

The #1 option in your budget of $1500, +/- $300, would be this:

A 1980s-1990s Orvis Uplander or Orvis Waterfowler built on a Beretta 686 action.

If you're interested in one, I have a spare with case, piles of chokes, etc.

The wood alone today would cost more than the gun.

I’ve had more problems with beretta over under stocks than any other brand hands down. I won’t own another beretta.
Currently I have a very old and well used citori 16 ga and a Franchi 20 in o/u. I have another Franchi 16 ga o/u on order.
BUT go swing a half dozen and see how you like the safety and barrel selector and take them apart and have a good look. Check out different stock styles shapes and wood types-like buying a puppy, take home the one that loves you and keep it as long as possible
Yep. Stoeger services Beretta in US and they are terrible support.

Yep. Stoeger services Beretta in US and they are terrible support.

A moderately handy owner can fix about 75% of their own issues with beretta 686 platform guns. Changing strikers? Replacing springs? Otherwise, Cole Gunsmithing is the best in the nation.

It isn't that Berettas are the most durable, they are the easiest to repair and they have the most parts that require little to no fitting.

Bad stocks is a common problem with all through bolted guns, particularly new guns sold with the cheapest possible wood at the lowest possible production costs. Good wood is quickly going extinct, hence I recommended a vintage 1990s Orvis Beretta that has $2000 wood rather than $35 wood, especially considering you can buy the whole gun for the value of the stock.

I guess I'm just weird (no need for a poll). I want a heavy shotgun. They swing onto target better than whippy light things and less felt recoil. I'm not Hulk Hogan but I carry this old 12 gauge magnum A5 all day, day after day, year after year hunting pheasants behind my dogs. I also shoot the lights out with it at the range. Don't shoot my Citori nearly as well.
20221106_164038.jpg

20231016_112935.jpg

For light 2.75" trap loads I swap out the 3" barrel spring for 2.75" one + stainless steel spacer and 2.75" friction brake. Cycles flawlessly.
20211107_143731.jpg

A moderately handy owner can fix about 75% of their own issues with beretta 686 platform guns. Changing strikers? Replacing springs? Otherwise, Cole Gunsmithing is the best in the nation.

It isn't that Berettas are the most durable, they are the easiest to repair and they have the most parts that require little to no fitting.

Bad stocks is a common problem with all through bolted guns, particularly new guns sold with the cheapest possible wood at the lowest possible production costs. Good wood is quickly going extinct, hence I recommended a vintage 1990s Orvis Beretta that has $2000 wood rather than $35 wood, especially considering you can buy the whole gun for the value of the stock.
What action would you consider the most durable modern O/U action? Let's say we limit it to models produced in just this century and keep the original MSRP below 20K.

Krieghoff, Beretta, Perazzi, Browning, Benelli, Blaser...something else?

If clays are your primary focus You can find some used Browning Citori’s or Beretta 686’s in that price range. Biggest thing is fit. You might find something that doesn’t carry the same brand recognition with a LOP or adjustable comb height that feels better to you.

If you intend on doing any hunting in addition to the clays then a semi starts coming onto the radar more. I’ve found many used SBE’s, M2’s, and A400’s for under that price. I like older 1100’s as well.
+1. Buy a good used semi auto Remington 1100, 11-87 or Beretta/Benelli. Your shoulder will thank you for it.

What action would you consider the most durable modern O/U action? Let's say we limit it to models produced in just this century and keep the original MSRP below 20K.

Krieghoff, Beretta, Perazzi, Browning, Benelli, Blaser...something else?
And maybe ones you can find parts for if needed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swizbills

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]