Barrel chop for suppressor on 300WM - blaser specific plz

Appreciate the feedback and input.
I already have the suppressor (TBAC ultra 7 gen2) so shopping phase is done.
Reflex suppressors would perhaps save me 2" of barrel length but thunderbeast is the gold standard and again, already purchased it.

Have you called thunderbeast directly? I think they have other options that would not require you to chop the barrel.

I’m actually dropping off my r8 300wm barrel to them the next time I have a clear afternoon.

Penny for your thoughts. Please expand on your plans. Thanks.

Good choice, that is what I’m going to run on mine as well. My 338 ultra is too heavy and my omega would require a barrel chop to get a shoulder.

As long as your barrel OD is greater than .565” (my r8 300wm barrel is .6655”at the muzzle) thunderbeast will thread it and install a face mount cb brake, which you can screw right into your ultra 7”.

No loss of barrel length.

True.
I'm going with a flash hider hub mount though.
I have a dislike for brakes and an affection for muzzle flash suppression; especially at night.

According to Blaser USA‘s Kevin Wistner, there are two locations that can thread barrels in the US without potentially voiding the barrel’s warranty. The places are Mag-na-port and Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, TX (210) 508-7961. I went with Tip and found him easy to work with and had an excellent turn around time with the six barrels I sent.

I would skip the middleman and go to Tip. He was very easy to work with and very reasonable.

That's an excellent tip (see what I did there?) and right in my backyard.
Appreciate the heads up

.308 bullet kills em dead at 2500fps muzzle velocity so you can chop it as you like.

The 300wm will always make more fps at a given barrel lenght then a 308win and those work wonderfully with short batrels.

The accesive blast will get cought by the suppressor.

Sounds like a win/win to me

.308 bullet kills em dead at 2500fps muzzle velocity so you can chop it as you like.

The 300wm will always make more fps at a given barrel lenght then a 308win and those work wonderfully with short batrels.

The accesive blast will get cought by the suppressor.

Sounds like a win/win to me

Absolutely. A "tastefully" chopped 300WM will still fly like a hot 30-06.

Tip Burns has one of my barrels right now and has done a number of others. He can also relocate/install iron sights. If you send it to Blaser that’s where it will wind up anyways, and his work is excellent.

This is a 375 Ruger cut to 20.5”. Has an AB raptor suppressor with 5” reflex section.

IMG_3885.jpeg

Update.
I went to see Tip and he "turned it" (I know ... That's just bad) in one day and made a cap from part of the cut off barrel. Excellent work.

I cut off 3.5" to a 22" barrel length.
With the ultra 7, the whole thing gains 3.5" over factory length. Balance is perfect.

Got out to the range and had very pleasing results:
Velocity averaged 2969 with 168gr ttsx over 69 gr of H4350 so I hit my speed target of staying North of 2900 and I have approximately 3-4 grains to go before max charge if I want to step it up.

PXL_20240413_150931159.jpg

The identical load ran at an average of 3030 FPS with a 25.5" barrel and no can but now a 300WM has the recoil of a 308 with a 150 gr pill and is impressively less loud.

I will still wear hearing protection at range trips but it's definitely what I'd call a hunting safe noise level. In my approximation, it's slightly less than the crack of a 22LR rifle.

I ran a 1.3" group off sticks just to play around. I'm still new to sticks so practice is obviously in order but I'm not displeased and am thinking groups will be about the same off bench as before.

Next I'll move to finalize load development and test the 180gr ttsx and the 168 against each other and then for penetration performance on wild pigs.

In all, I'm very pleased and impressed with the TB ultra 7 and especially their customer service and willingness to pick up the phone and talk through questions.

PXL_20240413_152639295.jpg

My 300win mag is 22", 210gr at 2850 with H1000. It's almost no difference than my old 26" rifle with the same load.

I might go chop another inch or 2 later but right now, I'm pleased with the overall form, length, and symmetry

According to Blaser USA‘s Kevin Wistner, there are two locations that can thread barrels in the US without potentially voiding the barrel’s warranty. The places are Mag-na-port and Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, TX (210) 508-7961. I went with Tip and found him easy to work with and had an excellent turn around time with the six barrels I sent.

I would skip the middleman and go to Tip. He was very easy to work with and very reasonable.
Does Tip Burns have a business name?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swizbills

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]