Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
On Christmas Day, after all the gift giving and prime rib eating, we decided to get my 17yo son on sticks with my .375 Ruger barrel (topped with the Z8 1.7-13.3X that we discussed at length in my DG scopes video) on his Blaser R8 Pro S to get ready for our buffalo hunt in Zim. He has shot up all his white tailed deer tags so we are on to the next thing! Jasper has a Pro S (no detachable magazine but all else same as mine) that I bought for him when he was 13. He is right handed but strongly left eye dominant. At that age I could not get him to shoot and reload on sticks with his left handed Ruger American .308. He was either not strong enough or left hand coordinated enough to shoot, stay on the sticks, and reload and shoot again. So Daddy broke down and bought him a straight pull bolt rifle. It was THE best decision I could have made. We got it in 7mm Mag and put the Omega suppressor on it and he has done very well with it Hunting Texas (deer, turkey, pronghorn), Namibia, and South Africa. Now with a 2 minute switch of the barrel and scope he has a buffalo rifle ready for the wilds of Zimbabwe.
Here is the point of my post on the versatility of the R8 for anyone: Jasper has never shot any of my bigger rifles but with "his gun" in a new caliber he was putting shots in the bulls eye at 100 yards off sticks! Nothing new to get used to but a little more recoil (ok a lot more). He put about 12 or so rounds through it and was very happy with the setup and loved the option on the illuminated reticle.
He did so well It got me to thinking "we have until late June maybe I can get him shooting the double?"
We plan to also hunt hyena so this will be the perfect setup for that as well. We will be once again hunting with Dalton & York. Our plans are to fly Qatar Qsuite this summer for this amazing father and son/ graduation trip!
Regards,
Philip

IMG_4331.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the Glock of rifles. Not the prettiest but many think the most functional.
Have you seen my R8? I think it’s of the most unique guns I’ve ever laid eyes on! Of course they can be dressed up many different ways. I’m just not one for a lot of engraving.

Very nice Phillip
Similar to stingray skin. I put sturgeon skin on the back of this bow I made a few years ago.
IMG_2803.jpeg

@Philip Glass I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments about the R8 being ideal for a kid to adult. I’ve watched youth use the R8 and become comfortable with it quickly.

I’m quite a fan of the R8 for DG hunting. I (sorta) understand the idea of a double for DG, but find more confidence in the R8. Would you have your son hunt with a double rather than the R8?

@Philip Glass I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments about the R8 being ideal for a kid to adult. I’ve watched youth use the R8 and become comfortable with it quickly.

I’m quite a fan of the R8 for DG hunting. I (sorta) understand the idea of a double for DG, but find more confidence in the R8. Would you have your son hunt with a double rather than the R8?
I am not sure. It would take quite a lot of practice and gaining much confidence in the gun over the next few months. Plus if something went sideways I need the double in my hands. I would be of little help on a charging buffalo with his left handed .375!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristaAdd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}