8x68s donor action build suggestions?

Skeet

Reaction score
Howdy, I would like to hear your suggestions and personal experiences regarding what rifle action to build a 8x68s rifle on and suggested barrel rate twist?

(What length action and bolt face should the ideal action use, along with what or modifications?)

How much work can you do yourself and which type of actions do you like?
If you need to pay someone to do it you may want to start with an action that takes a magnum size case. I built mine on a Parker Hale/M98 action ,but I did the work on it, which was considerable.
gumpy

Hi Skeet,

I would chose a standard lenght CZ 550 or a BRNO ZKK 600. Noticeable longer magazine than a Mauser 98 but not too heavy like a true magnum lenght action.
These actions are also ideal for 9,3x62 and 9,3x64. In fact, BRNO ZKK 600 was factory made for both.

Good luck!

CF

I'd highly recommend a Pattern 14 Enfield action or a BRNO ZKK602 action.

Amongst currently manufactured actions, I highly recommend Warren Prechtll or Granite Mountain Arms.

The magnum bolt face may be a bit big otherwise I too would recommend the 602. Less work more room for seating bullets out even some longer ones more magazine capacity. Why butcher ZG47? There are not that many of those. If you want to stick to standard length action then win M70 or brno/cz would be my choice.

P14/M17 are a good size for this and you can seat monometals out so are not hurting velocity by seating projectiles deep. Yes, they are heavy but they work.

Lighter rifles included Rem 700 that are done to take the 375H&H.

The magnum bolt face may be a bit big otherwise I too would recommend the 602. Less work more room for seating bullets out even some longer ones more magazine capacity. Why butcher ZG47? There are not that many of those. If you want to stick to standard length action then win M70 or brno/cz would be my choice.
What are your thoughts on a Weatherby mark v action from a Weatherby magnum caliber? I ask because I live in the town they are made and used rifles online are reasonable.

P14/M17 are a good size for this and you can seat monometals out so are not hurting velocity by seating projectiles deep. Yes, they are heavy but they work.

Lighter rifles included Rem 700 that are done to take the 375H&H.
What are your thoughts on a Weatherby mark v action from a Weatherby magnum caliber? I ask because I live in the town they are made and used rifles online are reasonable.

Classically, rifles caliber 8x68s were built in our countries with Mauser 98 actions. Sure, this actions have to be modified a bit, but they also have to be that if they have to accept cartridges like the 375 H&H Magnum or even 404 Jeffery under others, and that works. You need a bigger Magazine.

As far as the twist rate is concerned, 11" is usually recommended, although one should not forget that the cartridge 8x68S was initially delivered with the 12,1g/187gr HMK bullet.

M70 is good to build off

A 700 with Sako extractor type ,

Brno 602

Any thing bit longer and wider before one begin altering leaves less frustrating then and later . As well as more money saved for components .

M70 is good to build off

A 700 with Sako extractor type ,

Brno 602

Any thing bit longer and wider before one begin altering leaves less frustrating then and later . As well as more money saved for components .

Avoid going down the Sako extractor path on a Rem 700. The grip area of the Sako is no greater than that on the Rem. Sako extractors have been known to jump out of the extractor grove. The Rem extractor is designed to bite into the rim this, with the small extractor face, is why on a stuck case they can pull through the rim. Also the Sako Extractor breaks the excellent gas seal on the 700. If you choose to do away with the Rem extractor go with an M16 Extractor. Has a wider bearing area on the case rim and have a better ability to not jump the rim.

Just wish Remington would watch their quality control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuliusQ88

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.