210gr Copper Solid 300 Win Mag?

Elliott Ugalde

Reaction score
Anyone used Cutting edge 210 grain safari copper solids in a 300 win mag? I’ve seen on YouTube that it goes deeper than a 45-70 through wood and cinder blocks. Also open to other solid bullets. I want to make an extremely powerful 300 Win Mag load that isn’t explosive even at close range for meat preservation

IMG_7206.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Never have used one. Heck, didn’t even know there was a market for the same. What is your target species? I hunted with a .30-.378 for years with Barnes TSXs and was really pleased with them. I think something along those lines would be better than a true solid for almost all .300 applications.

Where do you plan to hunt?

I do not know of a state here in the US that allows a solid for big game hunting.

Africa is different but most Ph's would want you to use a expanding bullet on most if not all plains game animals and a .30 caliber is too small for most countries on dangerous game.

Where do you plan to hunt?

I do not know of a state here in the US that allows a solid for big game hunting.

Africa is different but most Ph's would want you to use an expanding bullet on most if not all plains game animals and a .30 caliber is too small for most countries on dangerous game.
In Oregon it’s legal to use solid bullets. Deer, Elk and possibly black bear or cougar if I’m lucky enough to cross one. However lead expanding bullets destroy a lot of meat and turns the organs to mush (yes I like to eat the organs). At long range lead bullets work just fine but within 250-200ish yards they seem to make fist size exit holes every time and that’s a lot of meat loss. I should also add that currently my Ruger M77 Hawkeye is the only hunting rifle I own so that’s why I don’t just simply use another rifle

Immense penetration (although I personally prefer brass to copper).

Cutting Edge Solids Safari Solids in larger calibers are made of brass.
CEB & TSX.jpeg

This brass Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solid (left) & Barnes TSX (right) was recovered from a hippopotamus bull in 2023.

I don't support using non expanding bullets on deer, elk, black or cougar. When taking heart-lung shots with these bullets, more often than not... you will have long tracking jobs awaiting you.

Last edited:
In Oregon it’s legal to use solid bullets. Deer, Elk and possibly black bear or cougar if I’m lucky enough to cross one. However lead expanding bullets destroy a lot of meat and turns the organs to mush (yes I like to eat the organs). At long range lead bullets work just fine but within 250-200ish yards they seem to make fist size exit holes every time and that’s a lot of meat loss. I should also add that currently my Ruger M77 Hawkeye is the only hunting rifle I own so that’s why I don’t just simply use another rifle
Many states have laws stating you must use a bullet designed to expand. I just looked up Oregon’s rules. It doesn’t specify expanding bullets but states full metal jacket bullets are prohibited. This isn’t a full metal jacket but it’s designed for zero expansion. Technically legal the way I read it but maybe not most ethical. Any reason you don’t want to use Barnes TSX? All copper but designed to expand without shedding any weight.

Many states have laws stating you must use a bullet designed to expand. I just looked up Oregon’s rules. It doesn’t specify expanding bullets but states full metal jacket bullets are prohibited. This isn’t a full metal jacket but it’s designed for zero expansion. Technically legal the way I read it but maybe not most ethical. Any reason you don’t want to use Barnes TSX? All copper but designed to expand without shedding any weight.
I’ve never actually used the Barnes TSX, that’s why I said I was open to hearing about other solids as well. I was just assuming that because 300 Win Mag hits so hard a non expanding bullet would be find as long as I had good shot placement

I’ve never actually used the Barnes TSX, that’s why I said I was open to hearing about other solids as well. I was just assuming that because 300 Win Mag hits so hard a non expanding bullet would be find as long as I had good shot placement
A solid typically refers to a non-expanding bullet. A monolithic bullet refers to an all copper bullet like a Barnes TSX or a Hornady CX. A non-expanding bullet doesn’t slow down in the animal like an expanding bullet so very little energy gets transferred as it passes through. A 300 win with a non-expanding bullet will not hit hard compared to an expanding bullet because of this. I often shoot groundhogs with my 375 H&H for hunting practice but they often run because bullets don’t open up, when the same shot with a 223 and an expanding bullet would drop them. Try a Barnes TSX or Hornady CX. They will expand to make a faster kill but there will be no lead fragments or excessive damage beyond the wound channel. The wound channel is much smaller than most lead bullets.

I know one of the guys from Australia was using.30 caliber Woodleigh Hydros on water buffalo but he has a high level of experience and skill. More of the exception than the rule.

That being said, I agree with @375Fox about using a premium expanding bullet for a game animals. Barnes TTSX 165 grain pills are my choice for 300WM and with good shot placement, meat damage is minimal.

The wound channel is much smaller than most lead bullets.

But that would mean monolithic bullets are less efficient than traditional lead bullets? I thought the claim was made that they are as or even more efficient than traditional bullets?

But that would mean monolithic bullets are less efficient than traditional lead bullets? I thought the claim was made that they are as or even more efficient than traditional bullets?
It depends. Usually the selling points of all copper are deeper penetration and high weight retention. Some animals that’s not necessarily a benefit.

This could be getting crazy. I had a response all typed up and deleted it after re-reading it. I don’t feel like kicking the hornets nest so early this morning.

Bonded vs non-bonded vs mono-metal… :oops: :A Stirring:

I like the Barnes TTSX in the 300WM.

This could be getting crazy. I had a response all typed up and deleted it after re-reading it. I don’t feel like kicking the hornets nest so early this morning.

Maybe a good suggestion for another thread? If it does not exists already of course.

Listing advantages and disadvantages of monolithics versus traditional lead. Especially for the expanding variants.

Updated for this century.

updated_dead_horse.png

Maybe a good suggestion for another thread? If it does not exists already of course.

Listing advantages and disadvantages of monolithics versus traditional lead. Especially for the expanding variants.

Do do a fair comparison of those bullets you would need to do a true com of TTSX,CEB, HHT, NorthFork and Atomic 29 from both CRF and PF to compare results.

I think you are looking at a broad range of bullets and putting them in the solids category.

Full metal jacket are also solids in some sense of the word.

Woodleigh Bullets make “Solids” but they are probably all above .30cal but Woodleogh also make Hydros. A Brass mono-metal cancel lathe shaped projectile and these do come in .30cal

Atomic 29 are an Aussie copper bullet that are cnc machined but have a hollow point. But in a sense they are one solid construction of copper

Hammer Bullets from Montana are similar

They penetrate better making them more effective in some smaller calibres for bigger animals

I recently used 124gn Hammer Hunter bullets in my .308 and it destroyed the offside shoulder. It did not drop them any quicker and it did pass through.
This will be an advantage on solid animals like pigs.

I have a .300wm and have 155gn Atomic29 pills loaded but have not used them on game. I will also try these through my .308 soon.

Uhh…. Why are you using a.300 WM then complaining about meat damage? Use a .308 with a reasonable 180 grain bullet and the problem goes away.

since you are familiar with the cutting edge bullets look into the Raptor line. Load some as normal, turn them around and load a few as solids for specific situation.

I think you are looking at a broad range of bullets and putting them in the solids category.

Full metal jacket are also solids in some sense of the word.

Woodleigh Bullets make “Solids” but they are probably all above .30cal but Woodleogh also make Hydros. A Brass mono-metal cancel lathe shaped projectile and these do come in .30cal

Atomic 29 are an Aussie copper bullet that are cnc machined but have a hollow point. But in a sense they are one solid construction of copper

Hammer Bullets from Montana are similar

They penetrate better making them more effective in some smaller calibres for bigger animals

I recently used 124gn Hammer Hunter bullets in my .308 and it destroyed the offside shoulder. It did not drop them any quicker and it did pass through.
This will be an advantage on solid animals like pigs.

I have a .300wm and have 155gn Atomic29 pills loaded but have not used them on game. I will also try these through my .308 soon.
I’ve ran hammer bullets the last 2 years in my 300 win mag. Main reason I switched being I was tired of big holes in capes, not to mention meat damage. Turns out they’re more accurate than my partitions were. Exits are quarter sized instead of fist.

Anyone used Cutting edge 210 grain safari copper solids in a 300 win mag? I’ve seen on YouTube that it goes deeper than a 45-70 through wood and cinder blocks. Also open to other solid bullets. I want to make an extremely powerful 300 Win Mag load that isn’t explosive even at close range for meat preservation

View attachment 601033
I’ve given serious thought to loading these subsonic in a 308 I carry while guiding in brushy country. Been a couple times I’ve dispatched wounded game up close and full powered loads are hard on capes and meat. I’ve loaded some a-max subs they don’t penetrate straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.