Winchester "Big Five" 470 Capstick

Not detracting from the gun or package, but do you think it's a wise idea for buyer to shoot 21 y/o ammo out of it? Perhaps consider pulling the bullets/dumping powder/deprime/resize/reloading! I nearly destroyed a fine Wby rifle decades ago by firing the ammo that came with it (Wby took the gun back, checked it out thoroughly and advised to "dump" the ammo. My 338 A-Sq had the same issue (ammo was prob. 15 y/o when I got it, but those are GREAT bullets and of course rare brass, so reloading is the way to go. If some sort of temp controls were utlilized it might be ok, but that's prob not the gun to fire and find out! :) If only ey-are-ess didn't ask me for that exact sum (for 2021) just 3 weeks in advance of the current tax day. They apparently couldn't send out notices during covid and are just catching up for '21. Oh my. Two beauties in one: Designed by Col. Art Alphin O' A-Square fame for Peter Hathaway Capstick! The .470-.375HH I believe. Plus, my rules re: new guns-IF i want a new one, I must part with an old one, but at a certain point they're all good and hard to part with. I've been letting some Paul Jaeger sporters collect dust....Hmmm.
I have shot ammo older, it is not going to hurt anything. If someone was questioning. Crono the ammo, if the number are close you have your answer. Looking at the boxes, the appearance tells me they have been in a climate controlled environment. I see no reason to worry. My .02

Shenandoah Valley Harrisonburg Va.
'Know it well. Have passed by on 81 many times. I don't live too far from 81 up here. There's a great gunshop somewhere down there...it's been a few years-Whitetail Outfitters???

I have shot ammo older, it is not going to hurt anything. If someone was questioning. Crono the ammo, if the number are close you have your answer. Looking at the boxes, the appearance tells me they have been in a climate controlled environment. I see no reason to worry. My .02
not concerned with accuracy, more along the lines of overpressure due to powder breakdown and chem composition changes. got cases stuck in both a 257 Wby and 338 A-Sq, each of which was like performing surgery to remove (nearly welded/crushed to the chamber!) 257 was obvious-it kicked like the proverbial mule and flames out the bbl-NOT normal! all good now. emptied & reloaded!

Last edited:
the first time it happened was with late 80s Norma Wby ammo in the late 90s and the 2nd was 90s A-Sq ammo c. 2010-15. All great stuff (once upon a time.) Likely stored in extremely hot locations at times (heated homes in winter, hot summers-unprotected.) I myself have a safe with a heater behind it...great for keeping guns in 0-humidity conditions, but would likely be Hell on ammo!

Idk a thing about them. However, beautiful imo.

Guess I have not experienced this, if that were the normal case. Military surplus ammo would never sell.
yeah. that damned .470 capstick military surplus ammo. it's ruined many an economy.

I'll give you $5K for it (including the 2 boxes of A-Sq ammo.) The reasoning is: the gun cost <$3K originally and the ammo was $100. No one is interested in that ammo today. (i.e. $600-$900 for brass? Really??). I would come down, check it out and hand over the $ (FFL is fine. Big Mike will take a secret service tax-i ride over as my negotiator.) For some reason, PMs aren't allowed to you....??? I'll show mercy if you're getting divorced, but just the Jose BiDem economy (and libtards attempting to regulate Africa from afar) explains it all...The .470 may never, ever again be put to use in the field because of who your neighbor/relatives/curriculum-educated-kids/friends voted for. ;)

Thanks for the response! Congrats to the buyer!

the first time it happened was with late 80s Norma Wby ammo in the late 90s and the 2nd was 90s A-Sq ammo c. 2010-15. All great stuff (once upon a time.) Likely stored in extremely hot locations at times (heated homes in winter, hot summers-unprotected.) I myself have a safe with a heater behind it...great for keeping guns in 0-humidity conditions, but would likely be Hell on ammo!
I have shot ammo that's twice my age. And have fired a couple rounds in my day. Never had this happen.
Ammo stored in a reasonable manner will last a long long time.

I have shot ammo that's twice my age. And have fired a couple rounds in my day. Never had this happen.
I'll give you $5K for it (including the 2 boxes of A-Sq ammo.) The reasoning is: the gun cost <$3K originally and the ammo was $100. No one is interested in that ammo today. (i.e. $600-$900 for brass? Really??). I would come down, check it out and hand over the $ (FFL is fine. Big Mike will take a secret service tax-i ride over as my negotiator.) For some reason, PMs aren't allowed to you....??? I'll show mercy if you're getting divorced, but just the Jose BiDem economy (and libtards attempting to regulate Africa from afar) explains it all...The .470 may never, ever again be put to use in the field because of who your neighbor/relatives/curriculum-educated-kids/friends voted for. ;)
Pm sent

1) How old are you?? lol and 2) What I said really happened or I wouldn't have mentioned it. LOL Blowing my face off isn't on my bucket list! ;) Neither is voting Dem, EVER!!!

The price of the 470 capstick ammo is not for what it is. 1) Not easily available. 2) It is properly head stamped brass. The price you pay is for convenience at the African end. Basically for one less worry at African end. Yes I will disassemble it and reload it. Don't like shooting questionable ammo.
@Bwaybuilder is a great gentleman to do business with.
Krish

1) How old are you?? lol and 2) What I said really happened or I wouldn't have mentioned it. LOL Blowing my face off isn't on my bucket list! ;) Neither is voting Dem, EVER!!!
I'm in my 40's and vote republican.
How ever sticking cases in guns with factory ammo that has been stored properly sounds more like a guy that over oils his rifles for storage then doesn't mop them clean before firing.

I worked making ammo and have a pretty decent knowledge on the subject. I'm not calling you a liar. Just wondering if there are any other factors that could have contributed to your unfortunate situations. Maybe ammo loaded by someone that was pushing the raged edge of sane pressure.
Non the less a for sale thread that wasn't yours is a pretty poor place to share your experience.

Last edited:
What an Ass Hat move! Come on a respected member's sale ad and rip it apart for no reason other than you messed up with some ammo at one time. Then you make a low ball offer? Quoting original prices... Everything is up in cost these days! Original price has nothing to do with today's value. It's called Inflation!

I bought that rifle from a dealer at the Wannamaker. And the A Square ammo
While I had it that ammo was in my climate controlled house. Inside a safe with desiccant dryers. Not near a heater...That rifle still had the grease from the factory on the bolt. I never shot it.

The rifle looks better in person than it does in those pictures. The ammo is impossible to find and was stored as good as can be.

With the impending closure of rhino breeding in RSA.... One has to wonder if they will be on sale? This sure would be a great rifle to take a rhino with! I seriously contemplated it but I really wanted to use my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs so that is what I did.

Oi, ya really wanna put it to the dick, I'll give you $6 cash money for the whole works! That'll show him!
All seriousness aside, I find valuations here to be all over the map. I would no more try to just sell something here than sell my Aunt Margaret's 1972 Malibu with 37k on it to Smilin Stan the Used Car Man.

I'm in my 40's and vote republican.
How ever sticking cases in guns with factory ammo that has been stored properly sounds more like a guy that over oils his rifles for storage then doesn't mop them clean before firing.

I worked making ammo and have a pretty decent knowledge on the subject. I'm not calling you a liar. Just wondering if there are any other factors that could have contributed to your unfortunate situations. Maybe ammo loaded by someone that was pushing the raged edge of sane pressure.
Non the less a for sale thread that wasn't yours is a pretty poor place to share your experience.
Vast experience with firearms. Wby admitted their Norma ammo of a certain vintage had "issues" after a certain period of time (or handling conditions-out of my hands as I bought the gun/ammo used. They actually asked for the ammo back and offered to provide factory new at the time. I think I kept it, as all I needed was the brass for reloading.

What an Ass Hat move! Come on a respected member's sale ad and rip it apart for no reason other than you messed up with some ammo at one time. Then you make a low ball offer? Quoting original prices... Everything is up in cost these days! Original price has nothing to do with today's value. It's called Inflation!

I bought that rifle from a dealer at the Wannamaker. And the A Square ammo
While I had it that ammo was in my climate controlled house. Inside a safe with desiccant dryers. Not near a heater...That rifle still had the grease from the factory on the bolt. I never shot it.

The rifle looks better in person than it does in those pictures. The ammo is impossible to find and was stored as good as can be.

With the impending closure of rhino breeding in RSA.... One has to wonder if they will be on sale? This sure would be a great rifle to take a rhino with! I seriously contemplated it but I really wanted to use my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs so that is what I did.
Business. It's not personal. LOL I agree with most of what you say, but also missing a few details I'll actually keep to myself. It's also why there isn't a lot of $ available for such luxury expense these days, compounded by the libs that are slowly bringing an end to its potential use in the field (even blocking on flights is just one of their methods.) That gun is the cost of 5-10 monthly elec bills at my house now. :( Bring back American Gas, Oil and Coal-power (so that your city/suburban EV golf carts may be charged.) A winter's worth of coal costs the same as 1 month of electricity now (same as the food bill come to think of it.) May Trump eclipse BiDem in November! Also: Are YOU selling this gun or is someone else? I'm confused. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chainsingh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg