AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
I know of one PH in Zambia that has Grant's Zebra, but he will be out of the country in August. I am curious who else may have them. I'll be near Livingstone at the end of August and I plan on taking a Crawshay's Zebra after the buffalo is in the salt. I'm thinking, while I'm there, maybe I could do a couple of days with someone and go after the Grant's before flying home.
I'd be open to another subspecies of the plains zebra. Just kicking it around, short notice and all, but worth looking into.

PRETTY NEAT TO BE COLLECTING THE VARIOUS ZEBRAS. OR MAYBY YOU JUST REALLY LIKE ZEBRA STEAK!

Get in touch with Strang Middleton

PRETTY NEAT TO BE COLLECTING THE VARIOUS ZEBRAS. OR MAYBY YOU JUST REALLY LIKE ZEBRA STEAK!
Both, love to eat em, love to hunt them with a bow, and I'd love to take one of each. So far, two Hartmann's, two Burchell's, with some that say one of those is actually a Chapman's.

Get in touch with Strang Middleton
Way ahead of you, I'll be with Strang for two weeks. He picks me up on the 15th. Once we get my buffalo down, we will turn our attention to Crawshay's. He only has Crawshay's and Burchell's.
You can find Grant's, or Boehm's, in a few places in Zambia. Velario doesn't return to Zambia from his home in Italy until Aug 30th and I need to be on a plane heading home by the 30th.
I got a PH friend in South Africa with Cape Mt. Zebra, but at the moment, we can't import them into the US.
If I could get a Grant's, then I'd try for a Selous' and maybe a Chapman's. The Chapman's is tough to distinguish as it closely resembles the Burchell's.
Can't touch the Grevy's or the Maneless, so going for a SLAM isn't possible.

Karamoja Maneless Zebra is hunt-able, check with Christian Weth of Uganda Wildlife Safaris

I know of one PH in Zambia that has Grant's Zebra, but he will be out of the country in August. I am curious who else may have them. I'll be near Livingstone at the end of August and I plan on taking a Crawshay's Zebra after the buffalo is in the salt. I'm thinking, while I'm there, maybe I could do a couple of days with someone and go after the Grant's before flying home.
I'd be open to another subspecies of the plains zebra. Just kicking it around, short notice and all, but worth looking into.
Strang and valerio would’ve been my go to for info and since you’ve already made contact with them, I’m sure you will get an answer from one of them.
Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone who could help directly.

@PeteG congratulations on a magnificent Tom leopard you took with client last week...well done....

Karamoja Maneless Zebra is hunt-able, check with Christian Weth of Uganda Wildlife Safaris
Oh, Uganda, yep, I won't be going there. I can go to my grave without a maneless then. ;)

Strang and valerio would’ve been my go to for info and since you’ve already made contact with them, I’m sure you will get an answer from one of them.
Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone who could help directly.
Thanks PeteG, I appreciate the input. Maybe Strang can make something happen, he has a lot of connections. If it doesn't happen this trip, then I'll have a reason to return.

Oh, Uganda, yep, I won't be going there. I can go to my grave without a maneless then. ;)
Curios, why wont you go to Uganda? I've had two great Safaris there.

Both, love to eat em, love to hunt them with a bow, and I'd love to take one of each. So far, two Hartmann's, two Burchell's, with some that say one of those is actually a Chapman's.
You've inspired me @Dee S I might try to collect all the Zebra subspecies. Its something I've never thought about until your post. Thanks John Ed

Curios, why wont you go to Uganda? I've had two great Safaris there.
Money is number 1 reason. But honestly, I have not researched going there at all, so I'm actually clueless on what it would cost for a hunt there. You've inspired me to at least take a look at the actual cost.

Costs vary on species but watch Online Hunting Auctions during the convention seasons. I have seen some good buys on short plainsgame or buffalo hunts. Sitatunga always seen to bring a premium. I expect the Karamojong Manless Zebra will be high as the permtis are very limited

You've inspired me @Dee S I might try to collect all the Zebra subspecies. Its something I've never thought about until your post. Thanks John Ed
In my opinion, they are the smartest, wariest animal that I have ever hunted with a bow. For me, they are the ultimate 'plains game' challenge. Sure, you can get lucky at a waterhole and have them just waltz in like it's the safest place in the world and get a 30 yard shot, but more often than not, at least in my experience, they have a seventh sense that tells them something is off. They will hang up at 100 yards and stand there for hours, then wander off, never coming it. All the while, other animals come and go in peace, but those zebra, they aren't buying it.
Let me know if you need help, I've done a lot of research on the subject.

Costs vary on species but watch Online Hunting Auctions during the convention seasons. I have seen some good buys on short plainsgame or buffalo hunts. Sitatunga always seen to bring a premium. I expect the Karamojong Manless Zebra will be high as the permtis are very limited
Will do, thanks.

I agree totally, but I am a rifle hunter and have still had them stump me. On my first Safari in the Gwaai Valley we tracked them off and on for two days and never got a shot! I would love to see what you've put together in terms of location and subspecies. I've shot four different Zebra thus far.

BTW - Strang and I are old friends, just spent two weeks with him at Mbizi guiding my daughter for a leopard.
In my opinion, they are the smartest, wariest animal that I have ever hunted with a bow. For me, they are the ultimate 'plains game' challenge. Sure, you can get lucky at a waterhole and have them just waltz in like it's the safest place in the world and get a 30 yard shot, but more often than not, at least in my experience, they have a seventh sense that tells them something is off. They will hang up at 100 yards and stand there for hours, then wander off, never coming it. All the while, other animals come and go in peace, but those zebra, they aren't buying it.

From some brief "GOOGLE" searches, most of the safaris in Uganda offer Burchell's. Which is quite common for people to call any zebra a Burchell's. From the picture galleries, I saw some Burchell's for sure, then one website had what may have been a Selous' that they had marked as a Burchell's.
I've reached out to a PH I know that has concessions in Uganda, maybe he has access to them.

I agree totally, but I am a rifle hunter and have still had them stump me. On my first Safari in the Gwaai Valley we tracked them off and on for two days and never got a shot! I would love to see what you've put together in terms of location and subspecies. I've shot four different Zebra thus far.

BTW - Strang and I are old friends, just spent two weeks with him at Mbizi guiding my daughter for a leopard.
I've known Strang for 7 or 8 years, but have never hunted with him. This will be my first trip to Zambia. My oldest daughter went to Zambia back in June and spent two weeks hanging out with Strang and his family. She had a great time.
Regarding my experiences, I have a PH in Namibia that WILL put you on a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra. He has the places and knows how to to hunt them.
For the Cape Mountain Zebra, which still on the non-import list, I have a PH in South Africa that has a large herd on his property. He will all but guarantee you a shot at one. He is working with US Customs to have the embargo lifted. He is providing them will all kinds of information, but we know how governments operate, very slowly.
Burchell's, they are everywhere.
In Zambia, Strang has Crawshay's. Valerio has Grant's.
The Chapman's is a tricky one. It closely resembles the Burchell's, so it's tough to identify positively. 90% of PH's will call a Chapman's a Burchell's.
My daughter works at the San Antonio zoo in the Africa and Australia habitats. Her first week there, she sent me a picture of a zebra and asked me if I knew the subspecies. I replied, hard to tell, either a Grant's or Selous. Her response, the zebra person said no, it's a Grevy's. I fell out laughing. A Grevy's is the EASIEST to identify. It looks like a human fingerprint. She corrected that person and they got back to her later and said I was right, it is a Grant's.

So, to summarize, there are following zebra species and subspecies:

Hartmann mountain zebra
Cape mountain zebra
Grant Zebra
Chapman Zebra
Burchell Zebra
Crawshay zebra
Grevy zebra
Selous Zebra

Any other?

Is there available some identification chart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EveHindwoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?