Whisky appreciation

I have tried so hard to "like" scotch and I just can not get a taste for it. I know that's what all the cool kids drink, but I just can't seem to enjoy it. Bourbon, Irish, pretty much any other whiskey I am a fan off. I will continue to try though. Ha ha. Some of the less Smokey ones are not too bad.

I think I will stop by the liquor store on the way home from work today and try once again to like scotch. I'll report back later tonight. I have a side of ribs thawing in the fridge so i will light the grill and see how it goes
Any recommendations for some pretty decent everyday scotch to try out?

Just in time for the new Bundy Rum variants for the latte-drinking mob...
I'm still a fan of the Original. My wife likes the Bundy Redand I was collecting bottles limited release but they do a few now.

Yes, the flavour added Latte stuff is for the Millennials and Creedmoor shooters.

I have tried so hard to "like" scotch and I just can not get a taste for it. I know that's what all the cool kids drink, but I just can't seem to enjoy it. Bourbon, Irish, pretty much any other whiskey I am a fan off. I will continue to try though. Ha ha. Some of the less Smokey ones are not too bad.
Try Glenmorangie the next time you’re feeling frisky (Glenmorangie X or LaSanta). It’s sweeter and smoother than the heavy ones.

Just stay away from anything made on Islay, or any other of the small islands for that matter. Speyside is your friend.

I think I will stop by the liquor store on the way home from work today and try once again to like scotch. I'll report back later tonight. I have a side of ribs thawing in the fridge so i will light the grill and see how it goes
Try some Laphroig 10 year old, its about 50-60$ so not cheap but one of the great ones. Its peaty and seaweedy and very flavorful. Just sip it and notice the slightly sweet aftertaste. Its my favorite!

Get a 14 yr Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. They are both smooth, reasonably priced, with none of that muddy taste. Glenmorangie is another high volume smooth single malt.

Try some Laphroig 10 year old, its about 50-60$ so not cheap but one of the great ones. Its peaty and seaweedy and very flavorful. Just sip it and notice the slightly sweet aftertaste. Its my favorite!
Laphroig is the perfect example of a single malt that tastes like mud aged in burnt peat moss with a dash of dog dropping to add a subtle flavor.

Has anyone tried Smokehead? The distillery is a secret, thought to be either Lagavulin or Coal Ila… I haven’t tasted it yet, but very keen as soon as I can find some!
I have not, but I need to.

Laphroig is the perfect example of a single malt that tastes like mud aged in burnt peat moss with a dash of dog dropping to add subtle flavor.
This is the problem I have ran into. I have tried Ardbeg and Laphroig and it tasted like you left your whiskey next to a campfire and threw dirt in it. Perhaps I need to start out on a less Smokey and Peaty whiskey. I did have one called Monkey Shoulder once that was much more "approachable" it seemed.

Laphroig is the perfect example of a single malt that tastes like mud aged in burnt peat moss with a dash of dog dropping to add a subtle flavor.
Laphroig is the only peat bomb that I don’t like. Too “green” tasting. Lagavulin, Coal Ila, Talisker, and bunnahabhain…mmmm good.

Macallan is good, too…for beginners ;) (Actually, I had a bottle of 18yr for my wedding, and some asshole beltway bandit drank the whole bottle over coke… still got a bounty out for him).

Before you give up on scotch try a rusty nail. 2oz of scotch and 1oz of Drambuie. Don't use single malt. Try a blend like Dewars or Famous Grouse.

I was five or six years old and at my grandparents' house for the summer. Sitting in the den with my grandfather before dinner and enjoying a little down time. It had been a long day of cutting, splitting and stacking wood for the upcoming season.

He asked me to get him a scotch from the kitchen where my grandmother was making dinner. I relayed my grandfather's request to my grandmother who kindly made him a drink. I returned to the den, holding the large crystal low-ball glass with both hands. My grandfather looked at me standing next to his rocking chair and casually said "Don't you want a taste?". I looked down at the scotch & rocks and cautiously took a sip.

With pursed lips, my eyes widened. I felt the warmth of the liquid running down my throat. I breathed in and could feel the smokey oak in my mouth and nose. A huge smile came across my face as I again looked down at the icy brown concoction I had just sampled. I went in for another swallow and this one was sure to be much bigger...the glass was snatched out of my hand before it could reach my waiting mouth.

My grandfather would tell this story over and over again. Always made me chuckle. Whiskey, bourbon, rye and scotch whisky were never an acquired taste for me...I was lucky enough to be born loving it. Drink what you enjoy, no reason to torture yourself trying to choke down something you don't like. Feel free to send me anything you aren't particularly fond of. ;)

I'm with you there! Bourbon, rye, Irish, and Canadian is fine by me. I've supplemented it with good rums (esp. from Barbados) and craft distillery gins. I am anxious to try some of the South African gins when I get there next year.

I dont care for the scotch whiskeys that are heavy on peat and smoke.. I've found that some of the labels from deep in the highlands are a bit lighter and easier to drink...

If you can find it, Dalwhinnie is one of my favorite distilleries in Scotland.. the 15yr isnt horribly priced and is very nice on the palate IMO..

I have just arrived home from work with this. It seemed like a good choice. The box stated honey, ginger, and citrus, all of those are flavors I am fond of. It was $89 which did not seem outrageous. That's the price range I usually classify as a good whiskey, but not paying extra just to say you drank X, Y, or Z. I'm about to get out my finest whiskey glass and a large ice cube and drink some scotch and make a side of ribs. I will keep you all posted.
20231025_162552.jpg

Ive had riblets on the smoker since 1230... theyre just now getting ready to be pulled..

you planning on dinner at midnight????

:D

Image1698269722.817952.jpg

I think you'll enjoy the macallan 12.. its a nice whiskey that appeals to a lot of people..

Ive had riblets on the smoker since 1230... theyre just now getting ready to be pulled..

you planning on dinner at midnight????

:D

View attachment 565907

I think you'll enjoy the macallan 12.. its a nice whiskey that appeals to a lot of people..
Those do look tasty. This is a side of baby backs, that due to time constraints are gonna get a fast braise in a shallow pan before they get finished. It's not proper ribs but it'll do in a pinch.

Ok, I have to say, I'm not mad at that! The Smokey, Peaty flavor is kept to a respectable level. I had a bit of Gloucester cheddar with onions in it and a piece of capacola before hand and that worked out very nicely. I may be able to work with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Etta203568

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!