What kind of cat is this and how do I rejuvenate the hide?

I am trying to imagine the scenario where an Arabian leopard was killed and made its way back to the States. There has been no real adventurer/hunter access to the interior of the Arabian Peninsula since before WWII. It is possible it could have been killed in Yemen, but that country also has likely never seen anyone with other than a military rifle since it was protectorate.

Just from a likelihood perspective, I'll vote adolescent male from India or Africa. There were a lot of 80-90 lb African leopards killed before the current focus on trophy males. I have seen a photo of Craig Boddington's first leopard somewhere (maybe his book on leopards?), and it would have been a cat of this size.

I am fairly sure that the skin can be salvaged, but I would provide it to a taxidermist who specializes in cats to determine how to revitalize it.

Last edited:
Need to see a picture of the other side.

Scrotum?
IMG_0081.JPG

Cause of death: #4 shot on the shoulder
IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

Could also be a small Cape leopard from the Western Cape

I am trying to imagine the scenario where an Arabian leopard was killed and made its way back to the States. There has been no real adventurer/hunter access to the interior of the Arabian Peninsula since before WWII. It is possible it could have been killed in Yemen, but that country also has likely never seen anyone with other than a military rifle since it was protectorate.

Just from a likelihood perspective, I'll vote adolescent male from India or Africa. There were a lot of 80-90 lb African leopards killed before the current focus on trophy males.

I am fairly sure that the skin can be salvaged, but I would provide it to a taxidermist who specializes in cats to determine how to revitalize it.

Thanks @Red Leg . Nothing about the tail to body ratio reeks of some novel subspecies. The hunter that got it became an invalid in a nursing home in 1972 at the age of 62, and was in the social strata of NY and FL affluent society in the 1960s, so my assumption is it was taken in that approximate time period. I don't envision a guy that retired as a VP for a canning company to have had the financial means to go to uncharted places before 1950-1960s, so potential for Persia/Saudi are almost nil, chances of China or the 'Stans pretty close to the same, and even India post-partition would be pretty doubtful, but not impossible.

Rosettes are smaller and tighter together than the cats I've seen from Zim or Limpopo area, but then again at that timeframe East Africa would have been the affordable, cool place to conduct a safari and I have no idea what their leopards look like.

I agree with the advice of speaking to a Taxidermist who has Big Cat/ African animals experience about the advisability of rehydrating the hide. I'd also suggest that you establish knowledge about any relevant laws or permits that you are supposed to have.

Some states (IE here in CT) they have passed laws on what we can possess, I think it's ridiculous, but you don't want to end up inadvertently getting into a jam.

In case you didn't know: the geniuses in Hartford, CT know better than the officials in African Countries about how they should manage their wildlife.

Just from a likelihood perspective, I'll vote adolescent male from India or Africa. There were a lot of 80-90 lb African leopards killed before the current focus on trophy males. I have seen a photo of Craig Boddington's first leopard somewhere (maybe his book on leopards?), and it would have been a cat of this size.

You are 100% correct

There are several off-the-wall guesses here. It is either a small or juvenile Leopard from either Africa (most likely) or India.

Very ordinary rosettes/pattern as well

This is most likely just a young male leopard from somewhere in Africa. There was no emphasis on management of cats back in the 1960's. They were trapped and poisoned to prevent livestock predation. If you were hunting and saw one you shot it!

This is most likely just a young male leopard from somewhere in Africa. There was no emphasis on management of cats back in the 1960's. They were trapped and poisoned to prevent livestock predation. If you were hunting and saw one you shot it!

Still are in a few country's, similar with Cheetah !

I have nothing of value to add to this post BUT....

I've learned more in the last few minutes of reading it than I have on any other subject in recent memory! Lots of great info here.

Congrats on such a cool piece of history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaSoren

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!