What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

LOL. Folks, if you think Ontario Hunter is worthy of a Ban or Ignore…he’s a guy with a perspective and opinion.

I pointed out that my Safari knife is a Swiss Champ Mini. And it Is.

This thread has also taken a different direction: who needs a knife on a day to day. Or needs a proper Tool on a more than regular basis.

I personally carry a Benchmade Mediator Auto. Why? Because I Live in Tennessee and not California anymore. And I live on a property that has juuust enough stuff always going on where I need a knife.

My secondary knives are a Benchmade OTF (when I’m still feeling put down by The Man of SoCal) and a Boker Carbon Trapper in gentlemen’s mode…

I use a knife constantly here at home. Literally to the point where my Wife just holds a hand out at the store and I put a switchblade in her palm. (*worse yet, she Knows exactly what do…)..

At home, my deer hunting knife is a Buck 102 Woodsman. Smaller fixed blade. I just sold anything else I had - other than my Havalon Piranta. I cannot find a better knife for my needs. Literally any hunting need. I still have two Bernard’s and a very special custom…but they’re not really hunting…admittedly every one of them has cleaned a critter. Somehow, a knife…I feel obligated. The Custom was the perfect knife for my Bison…

On safari though? In Africa? Eh. I CARRY my Swiss Mini. I have an Arno Bernard warthog tusk’d 3.5” blade in my bag/backpack. but I sure don’t carry it with me. And I don’t loan it out unsupervised.

An Africa Safari is a different game. I expect my PH to be exactly that: a Professional Hunter. His job is to be ready for every damn thing. That’s not optional. That’s the job of a PH.

Me? I’m the Baggage with a Gun. And a Paycheck. (*Harsh…but that’s the truth)

I am happy with understanding the roles we play.

And I really do like traveling light on game. We move faster…and a whole lot quieter.

The "Ignore" button is your friend. So far, I haven't had to read the replies of two of our illustrious know it all/resident experts on "pick a topic". YMMV.
aw, every family/forum has at least one old curmudgeon--they don't hurt anybody.

I once heard a mosin nagant described as a pike with the added bonus of throwing bullets. Seems a fitting description.
Yes, but highly accurate CRF though with no malfunctions. Don't buy the M44 though because the recoil is brutal. AND, within the nonsensical (which I enjoy) posts here of a Buck knife through the eye of a charging duiker or buffalo and such, you'll have the comfort of knowing you have a bayonet available for the above situations and/or or popping the cap off a bottled beer after the hunt since you left the bottle opener back at the lodge/camp. LOL

Last edited:
LOL. Folks, if you think Ontario Hunter is worthy of a Ban or Ignore…he’s a guy with a perspective and opinion.

I pointed out that my Safari knife is a Swiss Champ Mini. And it Is.

This thread has also taken a different direction: who needs a knife on a day to day. Or needs a proper Tool on a more than regular basis.

I personally carry a Benchmade Mediator Auto. Why? Because I Live in Tennessee and not California anymore. And I live on a property that has juuust enough stuff always going on where I need a knife.

My secondary knives are a Benchmade OTF (when I’m still feeling put down by The Man of SoCal) and a Boker Carbon Trapper in gentlemen’s mode…

I use a knife constantly here at home. Literally to the point where my Wife just holds a hand out at the store and I put a switchblade in her palm. (*worse yet, she Knows exactly what do…)..

At home, my deer hunting knife is a Buck 102 Woodsman. Smaller fixed blade. I just sold anything else I had - other than my Havalon Piranta. I cannot find a better knife for my needs. Literally any hunting need. I still have two Bernard’s and a very special custom…but they’re not really hunting…admittedly every one of them has cleaned a critter. Somehow, a knife…I feel obligated. The Custom was the perfect knife for my Bison…

On safari though? In Africa? Eh. I CARRY my Swiss Mini. I have an Arno Bernard warthog tusk’d 3.5” blade in my bag/backpack. but I sure don’t carry it with me. And I don’t loan it out unsupervised.

An Africa Safari is a different game. I expect my PH to be exactly that: a Professional Hunter. His job is to be ready for every damn thing. That’s not optional. That’s the job of a PH.

Me? I’m the Baggage with a Gun. And a Paycheck. (*Harsh…but that’s the truth)

I am happy with understanding the roles we play.

And I really do like traveling light on game. We move faster…and a whole lot quieter.
Wish I could afford a Benchmade? My retired military son in law has several but then the military paid for his. FINE knives!

Sentimental reasons. I carry a knife my cousin made 50 years ago. It has skinned animals and been with me everywhere since. When I went to Africa, it came with me. I passed it to the skinners and asked if they would use it, if even just a little, on each animal. I am not a very sentimental guy, and most things are just that, "things." But that knife means a lot to me, and will go with me wherever I hunt.

Who would not want to carry this with a fine rifle?

IMG-20240207-WA0004.jpg

All part of the adventure where wood and steel help us pursue our dreams.

Not dependent on PH when hunting as a local, but for me it's all part of the romance. Same reason I walk around in a pair of buffalo hide boots every day...

View attachment 585611

Not dependent on PH when hunting as a local, but for me it's all part of the romance. Same reason I walk around in a pair of buffalo hide boots every day...
Beautiful knife for skinning!

I'm planning a small utility knife instead of a trademark hunting knife that I see many of you carry when out hunting. Just want to go light and my philosophy is to carry as less of a load specially around the waist as possible. Already feeling the weight of my 12 pound double on long walks. Am I missing something, please educate me..
I have never needed more than a pocket knife while on safari, but I always carry a knife with about a 3.5 inch skinning blade on my belt. It's mostly tradition as most of my hunting is in NA. A belt knife really only weighs a few ounces so why not have it?

That was the whole point of my question but I wanted to know different perspectives

View attachment 585611

Which knife is this, looks neat

What I've gathered is that there are two general groups of people out there, those that have shame and those that don't have shame. The knife is a symptom of something bigger.

I would be ashamed if I'm dressed in business formal attire (charity event, board meeting, funeral, wedding) if I did not have a clean handkerchief to hand to a lady in need.

I would be ashamed if I was at a business meeting about to sign a contract and I needed to borrow a pen.

I would be ashamed to be on a hunt and ask to borrow the guide's binoculars.

I would be ashamed to be on a hunt of any sort and fail to have a knife on me. This very thing happened to me on a kids hunt a month ago and I was knifeless and feeling mighty pathetic.

The same lack of propriety can be said for showing up without a button down shirt, tie, and jacket at a country club. Or showing up for a driven hunt without tweeds or a trachten. Or showing up to meet your date's parents for the first time on a motorcycle. Or not having a jack and jumper cables in your truck and being unable to use them properly when someone is broke down.

In general, shame is supposed to wash over a man with the constant fear that he is useless in a given situation or inappropriate in a given situation. Try not to be useless or inappropriate.

View attachment 585611

Well, I prefer a different blade form but…

Seriously, my boots are Elephant…my wallet is Elephant…and no, I didn’t shoot either of them.

Let us NEVER forget that wood and steel help us pursue Dreams.

What one of us chooses to carry, is a choice. We should respect our choices.

And I do so love my wood stocked rifles. They do indeed fuel dreams.

I enjoy hunting Tuskless Eles (though I am not running as fast as I use to) the ones that I have shot have been processed where they fall leaving nothing but a wet spot at the end of the job, Everyone chips in; PH, Appies, Trackers and upon their arrival camp staff.
So yes I use the knife on my belt

You should be able to clench your knife in your mouth, so that you can dive into a river and swim with both arms unencumbered.

I am sure there must be a Capstick story about how he wrestled with a great white shark in some nameless African river.

E-transfers will take care of any emergency tipping I might need to make on this continent. Even little kids have phones and email accounts. A cash machine is never far if there's an emergency that can't be handled electronically. Some folks feel a need to pull big rolls of bills out to impress everyone (e.g. my asshole former father-in-law). That's never been me. I've found more creative ways to be overbearing.

The biggest problem with carrying cash now is even our Canadian "paper money" is plastic. Jeezus is that stuff slippery! In the last half dozen years I know I've lost more than a couple hundred bucks in paper money slipped out of my pockets. Cell phone is the worst culprit. It's always grabbing bills.
Ontario, there will come a Day when “cash $$” might be irrelevant AND You and I might even live to see it…but it is years away and since you appear in “good shape” to enjoy a Loooong & Healthy Life - don’t give up your cash just yet. The expression “Cash is King” exists for a reason and I’m surprised that living in the land of Big Income Taxes (U.S. is close behind) plus GST & PST that you don’t appreciate the advantages that cash can have. All of your points about “rarely need cash” is entirely true and getting more so every year - But (and it’s a big BUT) when you do need cash there’s NOTHING BETTER. I think that today - if you had to have only one or the other - Credit cards might be best (some businesses ie: Airport Kiosks - do NOT take cash). However, Carrying a few $100 in cash wherever you go (and a few $1000 when traveling) never hurts and could come in handy — like a “pocket knife”….couldn’t hurt. Having some cash$$ is like carrying a Pocket Knife - rarely needed but nice to have just in case ! (Boy Scouts are always prepared).…just my POV

I'm planning a small utility knife instead of a trademark hunting knife that I see many of you carry when out hunting. Just want to go light and my philosophy is to carry as less of a load specially around the waist as possible. Already feeling the weight of my 12 pound double on long walks. Am I missing something, please educate me..
I've never needed a knife in safari. I have been able to help out in some situations with my trusty leatherman however. The decision to carry a knife is a personal one.

Sentimental reasons. I carry a knife my cousin made 50 years ago. It has skinned animals and been with me everywhere since. When I went to Africa, it came with me. I passed it to the skinners and asked if they would use it, if even just a little, on each animal. I am not a very sentimental guy, and most things are just that, "things." But that knife means a lot to me, and will go with me wherever I hunt.
Smitty, I fully relate to your knife and the special value it holds for You - it is more then just a tool or object…even though it performs as one. You asking the “skinners” in Africa to use that knife on your trophies is very understandable. My Father gave me a Buck 110 for Christmas in 1973 when I was 17 and he died 3 years later. That knife cost $20 at the time - a big spend to my Dad for “just a knife” but when he gave it to me he said “this is something a guy likes to have - even if he doesn’t use it”. Well, I’ve used it A LOT…on most big game I’ve taken (1st deer, bear, elk). On the Elk, the Guide wasn’t impressed with my field dressing (I was too slow and getting dark) so he took over - I asked him to “use my knife” and he did just for a few minutes….but that was important to Me and for No Logical Reason. That knife travels with me nearly every hunt and although it’s not always on “active duty” it is close by. I later gave my SOn a Buck 110 on his 17th Christmas with a hand written card explaining the evolving “tradition”, lasted for one of my Birthdays my Sone gave me a Buck 112 that now rides in my pocket and has dressed many game animals. I know Buck are not the best knives made but they are solid, sturdy folders. I’ve purchased and used many knives over the years but only these Bucks really mean anything to me.

... However, Carrying a few $100 in cash wherever you go (and a few $1000 when traveling) never hurts and could come in handy — like a “pocket knife”….couldn’t hurt. Having some cash$$ is like carrying a Pocket Knife - rarely needed but nice to have just in case ! (Boy Scouts are always prepared).…just my POV
When I was a teen, I read a quote from industrialist George Pullman where he explained why he always carried a $100 bill. He said that if he ever was in a train accident and was buried he would extend his hand with the bill in it in order to get the rescuers' attention.

In other words, for emergencies. Since then, I always carry the aforementioned $100 bill, adjusted for inflation, and it sure has come handy.

It is not the only thing I carry when leaving the house every day.

full

Everything in the picture above shows preparation. And self reliance. Especially the wallet. Besides an RFID wallet. Everyone should do themselves a favor, when traveling or in public, protect your credit cards and your laptop from being scanned. If you don’t already carry your laptop in a faraday bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarryFarr7

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone