What Have You Killed with the 7x57

First hunt with my 7x57 in March 2023 produced these two rams in some stormy weather. Hopefully the rifle will still get a lot of opportunities.
Blesbuck with open sights well done!!!!

Some photos of my two 7x57s. The FN did time as a client rifle and accounted for some nice animals with visiting hunters. Sadly I haven’t taken the Brno Mod21 out in long

420.jpg

464.jpg

465.jpg

633.jpg

765.jpg

769.jpg

645.jpg

802.jpg

846.jpg

845.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

Hi Dewald,

Congratulations! Love your rifles!!! Specially the FN!!!!!
To me, those FNs, after, but very close, the Original Sporting Mauser rifles are the BEST hunting rifles ever made.

Best Regards

CF

2nd black bear (color phased) I shot this spring of 2023 was with a 1912 Oberndorf Mauser in 7x57 using S&B 173gr SPCE. Iron sights. 100 yard shot. Double lung, bear went 40 yards and expired.

View attachment 574885

View attachment 574884
The same rear site that was on the Mauser Model B 22lr I cut my hunting teeth on 47 years ago.....brilliant rifles....

Last edited by a moderator:
A BRNO VZ 24 in 7x57 is my all time favourite rifle . A custom rifle which I picked up 2nd hand . Has an old Pecar 4x fixed magnification scope . Shoots 160 grain pills . I used it as both a working gun to cull countless fallow deer ( 500+) on my farm - in both day and night . Still use it for pigs and deer . Deadly accurate , absolutely effective on game and a pleasure to shoot . Easy to get ammo . A great cartridge .

Great ram!

Once upon a time, we were young. ;)

You noticed that too eh? I look like I’m a teenager and I was actually running the largest downstream oil system in Alaska at the time!

You noticed that too eh? I look like I’m a teenager and I was actually running the largest downstream oil system in Alaska at the time!

You're bosses must have known you had talent by the way you danced at the prom. :cool:

Reactions: WAB
My 7x57 is a Heym SR20. Only used in the UK to date but it’s accounted for countless Muntjac, Chinese water deer, Roe, Fallow and Red deer.

IMG_1444.jpeg

Several elk and a bear, a number of whitetail and mule deer. and culled 6 buffalo with an old Mauser and a paper sack of green gooey milsurp solids of assorted makes..was an exciting day...My present 7x57 is a RJ Renner custom Ruger 77 lwt. wonderful gun I picked up for a tad in an 'Arizona Pawnshop.

Im presently shooting a RJ Renner custom Ruger in 7x57, but Ive owned half a dozen 7x57s over the last 50 or 60 years. Always handloaded with H414 or RL-19..Shot deer elk, Pronghorn, sheep, and most African PG and cape buffalo on cull many years ago..I consider it as good as a .270 in the field, but not on paper with less recoil. A fine caliber and hard to beat. It and the 250-3000 have always been my favorite light big game rifles.

Im presently shooting a RJ Renner custom Ruger in 7x57, but Ive owned half a dozen 7x57s over the last 50 or 60 years. Always handloaded with H414 or RL-19..Shot deer elk, Pronghorn, sheep, and most African PG and cape buffalo on cull many years ago..I consider it as good as a .270 in the field, but not on paper with less recoil. A fine caliber and hard to beat. It and the 250-3000 have always been my favorite light big game rifles.
Those Renner No.1's are very nice. I have both a No.1-A and a M77 Mark II in 7X57... shot many deer, bears and moose here in Canada... mostly with 150 Noslers or 154 Hornady SP's.

I don't own a 7x57, but a 7x57 R. The 139 gr bullet always worked pretty well in my Sauer & Sohn "Drilling". I used it on roe deer, wild boar and a few other species in northern Germany. The 139 gr is a good overall compromise which is able to reach out more. If you hunt on shorter distances (under 100 yards) go heavier, it does pretty heavy damage to the "target" on short distances.
If you have to go lead free, don't go to heavy, I would recommend a maximum of 150 gr. To do a good job lead free bullets need a bit of speed, which the 7x57 isn't able to develope with heavy bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdbudo

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?