What have you eaten?

Thank you all. The human race needs crazy people in order for others to learn and survive.

This is adventurous as I ever got. Oxtail Potjie.

OxtailPotjie©Rosana_McPhee-2026.jpg

I'll cover the more exotic that I have eaten.

I will normally eat the heart, liver, tongue and kidneys of one or more whitetail every year.
Nutria rat
Muskrat
Raccoon
Armadillo
Possum
Turtle
Iguana
Many different snakes
Cattle egret (aka tick bird). One of those "You shot it you eat it, Boy!" life lessons.
Morcilla/Blood sausage
Haggis
Lengua (cow tongue)
Pata rellena (stuffed cow foot/shank)
All the offal of a cow, sheep, goat and pig that are used in normal cuisine throughout Latin America: grilled and fried intestines, stomach used in mondongo, pig ears fried or cooked in the beans, pig tails in the sancocho, etc.
Cabeza rellena (stuffed chicken head/neck)
Heads of cows, sheep, goat, pig
Tapir
Cuy (guinea pig)
Big tarantulas
Ants, ant eggs, ant larvae
Crickets
Javalina
Various monkeys
Sloth
Capybara/Carpincho
Alpaca
Llama
Paca

Everything that was well prepared was tasty.

Best wishes to all for a Safe and Healthy New Year!

Safe hunting and Good eating!

I will normally eat the heart, liver, tongue and kidneys of one or more whitetail every year.
Nutria rat
Muskrat
Raccoon
Armadillo
Possum
Turtle
Iguana
Many different snakes
Cattle egret (aka tick bird). One of those "You shot it you eat it, Boy!" life lessons.
Morcilla/Blood sausage
Haggis
Lengua (cow tongue)
All the offal of a cow, sheep, goat and pig that are used in normal cuisine throughout Latin America: grilled and fried intestines, stomach used in mondongo, pig ears fried or cooked in the beans, pig tails in the sancocho, etc.
Tapir
Cuy (guinea pig)
Big tarantulas
Crickets
Javalina
Various monkeys
Sloth
Capybara/Carpincho
Alpaca
Llama
Paca

I think we have a winner here my fellow AH brethren.

Surstromming. In a league of its own. Beware! Unimaginable.

Having been born and raised in South Louisiana (as in south of I-10), I can honestly say that I have eaten almost everything. :rolleyes: And with enough cayenne, it was all excellent.
But have you had bouille? AKA a horrific pot of shit?
horrific pot of shit that is called a bouille ( pronounced boo-ee) which is basically a baked gut pile. damn awful

Thank you all. The human race needs crazy people in order for others to learn and survive.

This is adventurous as I ever got. Oxtail Potjie.

View attachment 577424
In Zim we ate the stewed buffalo oxtail along with the liver from the bull I killed. Normally I'm not a big liver fan, but the camp cook could make anything delicious!

Nutria rat
Muskrat
Raccoon
Armadillo
Possum
Turtle
Iguana
Many different snakes
Morcilla/Blood sausage
Haggis
Lengua (cow tongue)
Tapir
Cuy (guinea pig)
Big tarantulas
Crickets
Javalina
Various monkeys
Sloth
Capybara/Carpincho
Alpaca
Llama
Paca

Your list beats mine! I have eaten cow tongue and when in Belize I eat gibnut (paca) whenever I can get it. Termites aren't too bad, but I'm not planning on making a meal out of them.

i married a cajun lady. just about every odd creature we 've eaten really has been fantastic except one horrific pot of shit that is called a bouille ( pronounced boo-ee) which is basically a baked gut pile. damn awful
This reminds me of the Zimbabwe trackers preparing the guts of my buffalo.

When I shot my first buffalo in Zimbabwe, we loaded it whole and hauled it to camp butchering slab of concrete with the deluxe Zimbabwe rotten chunk of garden hose hooked up to the water tower that must have produced almost 5 psi of water pressure.

When the guts were removed, they connected the intestines to that garden hose and turned in the water, which expanded the guts and caused the shit to oose out the end. They left it run until the stiff shit was out, the runny manure had mostly cleared the rear orifice and just as it turned from brown to cloudy water exiting, that was good enough and they shut down the water, ran the intestines through their clasped finger to sort of wring out the water and piled them into a bucket to which they were all staring at drooling.... YUM YUM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Specify turtle...l wouldn't give two bits for soft-shelled, but alligator snapper is good somehow

The only time I’ve eaten turtle was in Iowa, USA.
Presumably it was a local river turtle / common variety of some sort.
At the time I was a child and remember someone mentioning the name of whomever had caught it while trying for catfish.
One of my relatives had made it into a soup.
The broth was clear and the chunks of meat in it were tender.
I recall enjoying it but my father, even though raised on a farm in that area, wouldn’t eat it.
A local restaurant in the town i grew up near regularly served snapping turtle. It was delicious and some of the most tender meat I've had.

In this German ethnic community they would post turtle on their sign and the place was soon packed.

A local restaurant in the town i grew up near regularly served snapping turtle. It was delicious and some of the most tender meat I've had.

In this German ethnic community they would post turtle on their sign and the place was soon packed.
When I went to Big timber Montana to order my Shiloh Sharps there was a small Cafe there that served turtle, I just couldn't bring myself to eat it!

I've had live green ants in Australia. Cool tasting them but wouldn't make a meal. I had an Aunt who regularly made chicken feet and duck soup... the latter's main ingredient being blood she gathered after chopping the head off a duck. She would also collect the testicles from yhe bull calves and hogs,, and i think she tried to get my uncles also on a couple occasions.... I didn't care to eat at her house more than necessary;)

Probably the two most interesting animals I've had in Africa are elephant and rhino. The elephant was tasty but tough and stringy.

The rhino i think I've described before somewhere on here.... basically marinating and frying up the leather sole off my old work boots would likely be closest think I could think to try State side to compare, granted with most of the cow manure scraped off;)

Other than eland, I prefer the medium sized antelopes in Africa. Springbok and reedbuck being my favorites. Although black and blue wildebeest, kudu, Sable, Gemsbok have all been good also. I only had buffalo once and it was an old mud caked bull that I think some of the mud must have been included with the tenderloins.

Did not care for duiker. Didn't try the cats although the dog handler wanted my leopard meat to feed his dogs... but the camp staff had snarfed it all up before he got to it.

But have you had bouille? AKA a horrific pot of shit?
We called it debris stew. The liver, spleen, kidney, pancreas (sweet bread) heart, cheek meat and small intestines of the cow. Browned down and made a gravy. We ate every thing. We were poor. We had to jack off the dogs to feed the cats.

Let's see if this story doesn't win me the "AH Food and Drink Fear Factor" championship title. I apologize for the long story, but I feel the scenario and event are very important for this tale. I was a young SF soldier at the time.

We were working in the Chapare Valley of Bolivia and decided to run a "hearts and minds" medical assistance exercise. The Chapare Valley is a red zone for guerillas, terrorists, cocaine, illegal arms and everything else that makes South America interesting. During a medical assistance exercise, we would treat hundreds of people daily and everyone on the team becomes a medic in some capacity. Me and another team member were at the dental station with adult supervision from an Army Reserve dentist. Most of the people coming in were from various indigenous groups and Spanish is normally their 2nd or 3rd language. This often required the assistance of a local that could translate the other language(s) into Spanish for us.

In a few short hours of pulling numerous coca leaf-stained rotten teeth, I had gone from weapons man to OJT dentist. :LOL: Our Team Sergeant walked up, and he is in a 3-way conversation with a local young man and a young Bolivian Sergeant that is translating Yuracaré/Quechua to Spanish. Our Team Sergeant motioned for us to come over. He immediately explained that a tribal elder is suffering from a bad tooth, but she is too old to walk in for treatment. He told us to pack up everything we need and go with the 2 Bolivians. As we were leaving, he said "you treat this woman like she is your favorite grandmother! Never forget you are Ambassadors for the US!" After a long walk through the jungle, we came to a small village and were led directly to a larger hut on the outer edge. The Bolivians yelled out a greeting and what appeared to be the oldest living woman on the planet came out and greeted us. She had a poultice on her jaw and her mouth was packed with coca leaves. After greetings and pleasantries were exchanged, we asked her to clear her mouth and rinse with a solution we provided. We had her sit in a chair on the porch where we had the best light and proceeded to examine. She had a rotten molar that appeared to be abscessed. After shooting her up with enough Novocain to put down a horse, we commenced to removing the tooth. After digging all around with the elevator tool, I went in with the forceps. From recent experience, I carried the forceps that looked like a big pair of stainless channel lock pliers. She was groaning and laughing as I tugged and yanked. Finally, having shifted to where I had her in a basic head lock for better leverage, I yanked and out came the problem tooth. We flushed her mouth and explained to the 2 Bolivians how she needed to rinse, eat, drink and take the antibiotics we would provide. Any issues or problems, send a runner to the base camp and we will come back. We left them to explain everything and sat under a nearby tree.

The Bolivian Sergeant came over shortly and said what we did was a very great thing, and she wants to bless us. He said it is a great honor and people pay a lot to get blessings and help from her. We were invited into the house and were blessed using a variety of chants, prayers, herbs, coca leaves, smoke, and various dried animals and bones. We thought the grand finale was when she had us strip and rubbed us down with a dried llama fetus, but no, the best was yet to come.

We dressed and she led us behind the hut where there was an old, rusty, Texaco oil drum. She removed the banana leaves from the top and the smell of fermented corn and fruit hit us immediately. This was her chicha "still". Now I must digress for a moment. Chicha is a common drink in the Andean Ridge countries. It is a drink made of fermented corn and sometimes fruits and God only knows what else. Indigenous women make real, traditional chicha by chewing the corn and fruit and spitting the juice into the container where it is concocted into their version of a refreshing, fermented alcohol refreshment. There was no doubt this ancient medicine woman upheld all traditions. :LOL:

She removed the dead bugs that were floating on top with her hand, and dipped three cans into the barrel, filling them with her "magical home brew". She held up her drink and proposed a toast and commenced to praying and blessing us again. She stopped, smiled, clicked her can to ours and drank it all at once. The Bolivian Sergeant translated everything and solemnly declared that me and my buddy were the most blessed men in the Chapare Valley. We received the full blessing, and she invited us to drink what is well known as the best chicha in the world. All for free!

Keep in mind, we had just extracted a rotted, abscessed tooth from a mouth whose only lifetime dental care had been chewing coca leaves. As I looked at my buddy who had "fight or flight" face, I leaned over, clicked my can to his and whispered, "que no se mata engorda" (what doesn't kill you makes you fatter/stronger), and tossed it down. My buddy did the same. We returned to the base and gave a complete briefback. Our Team Sergeant said he had never been prouder of us and the BN Surgeon declared we would soon die of some unknown disease if God didn't strike us down first for participating in Pagan rituals. :LOL:

Now I must admit, as far as chicha goes, it was pretty damn good! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Safe travels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaMet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.