Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 378

woodsman1991

AH veteran
Reaction score
Japan era Weatherby Mark V deluxe grade walnut with iron sights. Chambered in 378 Weatherby. Overall condition is very good with minor flaws in the stock from time in the safe. Blueing is deep blue standard for Weatherby and no scratches anywhere. No muzzle brake or porting on this rifle, 100 percent factory original. Comes with Weatherby box, lock, literature etc. everything that it would have when new except the factory shot target. Sights are regulated spot on at 100 yards.

Asking 1900 face to face or 2k shipped. Located in College Station, Texas

IMG_9211.jpeg
IMG_9206.jpeg
IMG_9205.jpeg
IMG_9204.jpeg
IMG_9209.jpeg
IMG_9208.jpeg
IMG_9207.jpeg
IMG_9210.jpeg
IMG_9212.jpeg
IMG_9213.jpeg
IMG_9214.jpeg
IMG_9215.jpeg
IMG_9216.jpeg
IMG_9217.jpeg
IMG_9218.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Need specs when you have a chance. LOP, weight, magazine capacity, trigger pull weight, has a scope been mounted, how many rounds shot, what ammo are you using for the 100 yard target, are you the original owner...stuff like that.

Why are you selling?

Last edited:
LOP is 13 5/8, weight is 8 pounds 7.4 oz, I have never mounted a scope to it but it does have the screw holes for one, magazine capacity is 2+1 standard for Weatherby 378 based cartridges. I don't have a trigger scale but would estimate 4 pounds, it breaks cleanly and with about the weight I like for a large game rifle, unsure on rounds shot but I have bore scopes it and the throat is fresh, no cracking or scaling. It's not a pleasant rifle from the bench so round count has been limited to hunting and checking zero for me. Ammo on the 100 yard target is factory select plus 270 grain at 3080 fps. I'm not the original owner. Selling to purchase same exact rifle with muzzle brake. So no ammo or dies go with it, just the rifle. The thump from this has gotten to be more than I enjoy dealing with, it's serious.

Selling to purchase same exact rifle with muzzle brake. So no ammo or dies go with it, just the rifle. The thump from this has gotten to be more than I enjoy dealing with, it's serious.
Have you given any thought to changing calibers altogether to give your shoulder a rest without putting a brake on the rifle? 375H&H, 375RUGER, 9.3x62, 416RM and even the 404J would be excellent choices without increasing rifle weight and still being deadly for any game the 378WBY would take.

If you plan on hunting Africa with this rifle, your entire hunting party (except you) will be subjected to the blast coming from your rifle. Not a good practice to deafen those responsible for your safety. PH's and trackers will never tell you this if you were to show up with a brake, but I've yet to talk to one who wants their client to show up with one on their rifle.

I think he is just wanting to sell it.....I may be wrong.....

Selling it to buy exact same with a brake makes no sense......brake what you have......

Horrible calibre and platform.....

Understood on the muzzle brake and hearing damage issue, I have a 375 H&H that will go to Africa with me, the 378 is purely for my enjoyment in the lower 48. Not a need just a want. If I decide to take it out hunting with others in a party I would consider getting a silencer or just taking a different rifle altogether.

I could put a brake on this one but that would require desoldering the existing front sight and moving that backwards in order to accommodate the threads for a brake / silencer. Would rather not modify such a nice original MarkV. Newer ones come with a brake factory installed.

Understood on the muzzle brake and hearing damage issue, I have a 375 H&H that will go to Africa with me, the 378 is purely for my enjoyment in the lower 48. Not a need just a want. If I decide to take it out hunting with others in a party I would consider getting a silencer or just taking a different rifle altogether.

I could put a brake on this one but that would require desoldering the existing front sight and moving that backwards in order to accommodate the threads for a brake / silencer. Would rather not modify such a nice original MarkV. Newer ones come with a brake factory installed.
Fair enough. GLWTS.

Those costs would probably be cheaper than the cost difference between a new one and what you’re selling this for.

Those costs would probably be cheaper than the cost difference between a new one and what you’re selling this for.
Weatherby quoted $680 for the cost of the new barrel w brake (They claim due to the sights being soldered on the existing barrel at the factory that it would need a new barrel to get a brake installed) followed by an additional $680 to have iron sights installed on the new barrel. Haven't made up my mind entirely, but I dislike the concept of modifying a rifle that is all original. If I rebarrel I would most likely not get iron sights added so the cost would be roughly the equivalent of buying a new one. Hence my asking price. I break even in $$$ and a nice rifle stays original.

I think he is just wanting to sell it.....I may be wrong.....

Selling it to buy exact same with a brake makes no sense......brake what you have......

Horrible calibre and platform.....
Just because you arent man enough to shoot it doesn't mean you have the right to shit in somebody's for sale thread. You always have some wisdom to distribute on here followed by a bunch of .........................................

On a side note @woodsman1991 I have been interested in a 378 for a while. I'll shoot you a PM and we can discuss this.

Would make a great PG gun, flat shooting and hard hitting.

Just because you arent man enough to shoot it doesn't mean you have the right to shit in somebody's for sale thread. You always have some wisdom to distribute on here followed by a bunch of .........................................

On a side note @woodsman1991 I have been interested in a 378 for a while. I'll shoot you a PM and we can discuss this.
Thanks, Responded to your PM. It's pretty wicked to fire it without any brake on it, I don't care how much of a man you are, it'll ring your bell. 270's @ 3200 FPS if you hand load and 300's at 3000+ will collapse anything that needs killing. I really want to try it on elk and brown bear.

Last edited:
Thanks, Responded to your PM. It's pretty wicked to fire it without any brake on it, I don't care how much of a man you are, it'll ring your bell. 270's @ 3200 FPS if you hand load and 300's at 3000+ will collapse anything that need killing. I really want to try it on elk and brown bear.
It is not all that bad I have two of them. They are ruff but not like everybody makes it to be. With proper shootjng technics it is shootable.i have shot them with out break. I only weigh 130lbs.
Krish

It is not all that bad I have two of them. They are ruff but not like everybody makes it to be. With proper shootjng technics it is shootable.i have shot them with out break. I only weigh 130lbs.
Krish
Dang Krish! Pound for pound you have to be the toughest sob on here! :)

Good luck with sale!

I never thought the 378 or 460 were that bad. I can’t say that about my custom 416, it’s much more than the other two. I shot a factory 416 and it wasn’t bad.

I don't have it for sale. May be I have less meat in the shoulder to be sqashed to cause more pain. I don't know. Yes it hurts after 20 rounds from the bench. You can feel your brain wabling inside. Normaly you don't notice brain in your skull.
Krish

I don't have it for sale. May be I have less meat in the shoulder to be sqashed to cause more pain. I don't know. Yes it hurts after 20 rounds from the bench. You can feel your brain wabling inside. Normaly you don't notice brain in your skull.
Krish
My good luck with the sale was to the OP. Should have pointed that out I guess.

Krish, don’t wobble your brain or neck for a while. Hope recovery is progressing.

Bump for the OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharmainCo

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!