We are taking my Dad on his FIRST African Safari!!!

I am so excited!! Not only will this be his first safari, it will be his first trip outside the US!
My Dad has been a life long hunter. I remember him traveling to Colorado every year with his hunting buddies to go hunting. He is the person who explained and made me understand why, at such a young age, why Bambi’s mother was killed. He taught me about conservation and why hunting was important and healthy. Where I come from, Dads did not take their daughters hunting. It just was not done. I am thankful that he taught my son about hunting and conservation. My son killed his first buck when he was eight years old with my Dad. He taught my son how to do all the important things about hunting and fishing and conservation.

My dad is 70 years old. He still works full time. He is a machinist. He runs four manual machines in the machine shop he works in. God made my Dad tough as nails. I remember well when I was 7 years old, my dad was saddle breaking a horse and the horse fell on my dad. He suffered a compound fracture. His foot his still attached thanks to metal plates and screws.

He has had back surgeries and his neck is fused, however, he can work circles around men less than half his age! When he was out for neck surgery, it took 4 men to do the job that my dad does solitary, on a daily basis.
My Dad has committed to retirement in 2024. As a retirement gift, Bob ( @ActionBob) and I are taking him to Africa!!!!

We gifted him with the perfect shot II book. As of now, he is quite interested in a Cape buffalo, blue wildebeest, and impala. He is so excited and I cannot get over how excited I am to just go on this adventure with him and watch him hunt in Africa! He said, “Gosh, I just never thought I would ever get to go hunt in Africa.” He has hunted since he was old enough to do so.

We are going in 2024! He already sent off for his passport! I am looking forward to sharing our hunt report with all of you here on AH! How fortunate I am to get to take my Dad to Africa. @ActionBob and my dad share the same name. I get to go to Africa with my two favorite Bobs!! :love:

Updates to come on our progress. I am beyond excited!!!!
Amazing! Good job!!!

@Bullthrower338
Thank You, Cody! Icing on the cake would be if you could go with. Dad is quite fond of you from the time he spent with you at our wedding.
I am so excited!!!
I really enjoyed talking with him also

Good on you both. My father was a college professor before heads of department and the like made any money. We fished together the whole time I was growing up and as long as I can remember he talked about catching a rainbow trout. He was gone long before I had the resources to do anything about it. So very happy for you.
@Red Leg
Thank you, Joe! My dad had always loved hunting and fishing. We may take a day to go tiger fishing. He did take me fishing as a child. My biggest catch to date is when I caught a cousin. She was a little brat to put it nicely. She would not mind her parents and I hooked her nose when I was 7 years old. She was told NUMEROUS times to not get behind us when we were casting. I still laugh when I think about it.

Anyhoot, glad we won’t have any bratty cousins to mess with at least! :ROFLMAO:

Good for you! I tried to get my dad to go but, mom was against it and the long flights worked against us. Now he's gone and I really wish it could of happened.... Sounds like an epic hunt in the making.
Bruce

Hey, I'm the same age as your dad and am up for adoption.

Sounds like a fantastic idea and trip that he is thourilly going to enjoy.

@Bullthrower338
Thank You, Cody! Icing on the cake would be if you could go with. Dad is quite fond of you from the time he spent with you at our wedding.
I am so excited!!!
Wait ... you married your dad? Isn't that a redneck joke punchline?

Just kidding. I am looking forward to stories and photos. Your love for your dad is uplifting. He's a lucky guy to have you for a daughter.

Don't overdo it with planning and prep. I always ensure there's a bit of flying by seat of my pants. Adds to the adventure. Forgetting your deodorant isn't a disaster ... except maybe for others riding in the truck. :D Too much planning I think tends to add too many expectations. Which leaves too much room for disappointment. Just go have fun.

Wait ... you married your dad? Isn't that a redneck joke punchline?

Just kidding. I am looking forward to stories and photos. Your love for your dad is uplifting. He's a lucky guy to have you for a daughter.

Don't overdo it with planning and prep. I always ensure there's a bit of flying by seat of my pants. Adds to the adventure. Forgetting your deodorant isn't a disaster ... except maybe for others riding in the truck. :D Too much planning I think tends to add too many expectations. Which leaves too much room for disappointment. Just go have fun.
Thanks for that great post! I finally agree with you on something! ;)

That's pretty much what we were discussing this morning:) Bob (Gina's Dad) expressed interest in buffalo right away. Then he seemed a bit hesitant after ready about black death and how as soon as you shoot one they come right for you. Gina explained that is why the PH is there. I explained how that writing tends to get a bit embellished... And that 90 Plus percent if the time they run the other way. And that we will all be well armed and ready should the need arise. He seems to be back to being excited about a buffalo. He and Gina's Mother were studying the Perfect Shot book and both agree an Impala should be on the list. We both concur as that is so ironic Africa. Then he brought up blue wildebeest.

As mentioned, we want to hunt 3/1 so we can all experience the fun together. Night hunting i suspect chances at jackal, porcupine, genet will present themselves. Perhaps Bush pig.

We will definitely stay flexible!

A wonderful trip for wonderful people. l am envious. My Father passed away at an early age before I could afford to take him. I have worn his cowboy scarf every single hunt
around the world

I know your Dad will enjoy Africa with you and Action Bob.

If I've learned anything over the years, you need to do these types of trips sooner than later. I was going to take my Dad fishing with a guide in Maine in the summer he turned 62 (1981). Unfortunately, he suddenly took ill and died in April. Likewise, my brother-in-law had planned to take his dad, my father-in-law, on a trip to Africa. Prostate cancer hit him before he could take the trip. Thus, my BIL and I will taking the trip this summer in his memory. It isn't the same but it as close as we can get.

I hope this trip is everything your Dad has ever imagined and much, much more.

A wonderful trip for wonderful people. l am envious. My Father passed away at an early age before I could afford to take him. I have worn his cowboy scarf every single hunt
around the world
Myles my father passed away at 44. I was 22 and the oldest of 6. He wasn't a hunter but he never discouraged me. In fact he got me a bb gun and took me to buy my first 22 when I was 12 from a friend of his who had a gun shop as a side line business. I bought an old used Montgomery Wards 12 gauge pump that kicked the heck out of me a year later and borrowed my grandfather's Winchester Model 94 in 32 Winchester Special when I was 14 to go deer hunting. Got my first buck, a small 8 pointer, the next year. I still have the .22 and the M 94.

I know your Dad will enjoy Africa with you and Action Bob.

If I've learned anything over the years, you need to do these types of trips sooner than later. I was going to take my Dad fishing with a guide in Maine in the summer he turned 62 (1981). Unfortunately, he suddenly took ill and died in April. Likewise, my brother-in-law had planned to take his dad, my father-in-law, on a trip to Africa. Prostate cancer hit him before he could take the trip. Thus, my BIL and I will taking the trip this summer in his memory. It isn't the same but it as close as we can get.

I hope this trip is everything your Dad has ever imagined and much, much more.
100% ;)

Best news I've heard in a while--enjoy yourselves to the max!!
BTW, if he is retiring as a machinist, set him up a well equipped shop with a metal lathe, and he could re-barrel, re-chamber, and customize your firearms as well as make a little money. He could thread barrels for suppressors--the list is endless!

Aounds like a great trip amd memories will be made for sure
Relax and enjoy it
Soak it all in

Bravo!!! I’m sure y’all will have a wonderful time. I am hoping to be able to bring my daughter and son in law to Africa some time in the near future. This serves as more inspiration to make that happen sooner rather than later. Looking forward to reading all about it.

Best news I've heard in a while--enjoy yourselves to the max!!
BTW, if he is retiring as a machinist, set him up a well equipped shop with a metal lathe, and he could re-barrel, re-chamber, and customize your firearms as well as make a little money. He could thread barrels for suppressors--the list is endless!
What a great idea. If you check the auction sites, there are always machine shops going out of business with lathes and Bridgeport milling machines being sold for pennies on the dollar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)