W.J.JEFFERY & CO. Hand Crafted Big Game Rifles

.500 MAGAZINE RIFLE

View attachment 546579

This new edition of our classic dangerous game rifle is a faithful reproduction of the early .500 rifles built at the introduction of the cartridge. The new rifle is built to the original specifications of the first .500 rifles (of which only 24 were built) adopting a heavy profile barrel and standard two leaf express sights on a short rib which is hand-stippled to reduce glare. The protected foresight is set back from the muzzle. The relatively heavy, stiff barrel was part of Jeffery’s original specification for great accuracy and to tame the recoil of this powerful magazine-rifle cartridge. While other makers have attempted to modernise their rifles by slimming down the barrel profiles, we remain true to the original, making these rifles surprisingly comfortable to shoot.

Offered in two grades of engraving, the rifles are built on a new Magnum Mauser single square bridge action with the option of either a flag or side safety. This modern .500 Jeffery is entirely handbuilt in England and reflects the very best features and characteristics of the original rifle, offering the knockdown power of a heavy double in a reliable bolt action magazine rifle. Fast handling, the rifle is perfectly suited for the close encounters in thick cover encountered on a modern safari.

The .500 Jeffery Rimless Cartridge

Jeffery adopted and modified the .500 Schuler cartridge and renamed it the .500 Jeffery in 1927. Firing a 535gr soft or solid .510 diameter bullet at 2400fps the .500 Jeffery generated power close to that of the .577NE. at 6800ft/lbs. It was the most powerful bolt-rifle cartridge and deemed suitable for any large dangerous game, including elephant. Modern powders and heavier bullets mean these original specifications can be superseded, but we regulate our rifles for the original loading.

Specifications

Calibre
.500 Jeffery

Action Magnum Mauser 98 Single Square Bridge

Magazine Three rounds

Safety Flag or three position side (option)

Barrel 23½ inches

Sights Original Jeffery one standard and two folding leaf, hooded ramp foresight

Wood Select walnut

Stock Pistol grip with grip cap and trap, ebony finial hand-rubbed oil finish

Engraving No.1 Grade standard engraving. Option of No.2 ‘Best’ medium and fine scroll engraving

Weight 11lbs 4oz

.404 MAGAZINE RIFLE

View attachment 546580
The new .404 Jeffery rifle is a modern recreation of a ‘Best’ Jeffery’s rifle of the 1930’s. Built on a modern Magnum Mauser action with double square bridges, we have machined the action for hand detachable mounts. A three position side safety is fitted to allow for use with a ‘scope which enables the rifleman to take advantage of the accuracy and versatility of this all-round cartridge. We have faithfully recreated the unique barrel profile of the early rifles with the stepped down design and re-issued the standard and four folding leaf rear sight of the original rifles. The ramp foresight has an improved hood protector with sprung retainer and a sling loop is mounted on the barrel for a lower carry of the rifle in thick cover. The stepped barrel brings the weight back towards the rifleman which, combined with the slim stock, improves handling and reduces recoil for which Jeffery’s were renowned.

These modern rifles faithfully recreate the aesthetic and handling of the original models, retaining the practical features of the original rifles while enjoying the benefits of modern steels and production tolerances. Handmade in Birmingham and finished to the highest standard, these ‘Best’ rifles are true modern classics.

The .404 Jeffery Rimless Cartridge:
Introduced in 1905 to duplicate the performance of the Jeffery’s 450/400 3 inch double rifle cartridge in a magazine rifle, the .404 Jeffery was offered with 400grain solid and soft nose bullets as well as a lighter 300 grain load for plains game. Originally loaded to 2150fps the rimless cartridge is an efficient design that with modern loads delivers a 400gr bullet at 2300fps producing a hard hitting and deep penetrating round, making this the perfect all-round cartridge.

Specifications

Calibre
.404 Jeffery

Action Magnum Mauser 98 Double Square Bridge

Magazine Four rounds

Safety Three position side safety

Barrel 23½ inches, stepped profile, match grade

Sights Original Jeffery one standard with four folding leaves. Hooded ramp front sight with improved push button retainer

Wood Select walnut

Stock Pistol grip with grip cap and trap, ebony finial hand-rubbed oil finish

Engraving No.1 Grade standard engraving. Option of No.2 ‘Best’ medium and fine scroll engraving

Weight 9lbs 9oz
I am just having another look at these rifles . It is wonderful to see small details from the 1920s versions of these rifles being being replicated . Most notably on the rear sights - island sights on the 404 , and a short quarter rib on the 500. Looks like original large sling eyes suitable for leather thong strap slings . Finally the very heavy but beautifully profiled barrels . Jeffery have captured the essence of these fabulous old rifles .

Bloody beautiful . I’m going to ask my wife to buy me one for my birthday . She’s bought me a Purdey , a Holland Royal , 2 Westley bolt actions and a Rigby Shikari . A WJ Jeffery 500 shouldn’t be too much to ask of her .

If they truly are "hand crafting" their stocks, hand polishing the metal and rust bluing the whole thing... I could see the rifle being between $6K and $10K. But as I alluded to in another thread. There isn't some old-world master craftsman whittling these actions out of chunks of meteorite. $88K is an absolute joke for a boltgun, but then again, they must have people that buy them, or they wouldn't make them and price them like that. As my wife always says, when looking at the garish mansions near us... "having money doesnt necessarily mean someone has taste or brains."
But these rifles aren’t garish and they are to my taste . I own and regularly hunt with similar rifles - don’t care if they get a bump or scratch . If I like it I buy it - and I like these rifles .

I recommend an honest comparison between the rifles made by R. Smithson, R. Buehler, R. Breeding, R. Martini, Dorleac & Dorleac, and other top makers and the London (Birmingham, actually) makers. I challenge you to find even a single point in which the 'London' products are superior.

The Brits make great shotguns, I fully admit, but the rifles are not in the same class. Rarity, collectability, 'brand value', etc. do not count in the assessment of actual build quality.
Go and see Hartmann and Weiss in Hamburg and see what they charge for a bolt action . It is not just the Brits who know how to charge big $.

Bloody beautiful . I’m going to ask my wife to buy me one for my birthday . She’s bought me a Purdey , a Holland Royal , 2 Westley bolt actions and a Rigby Shikari . A WJ Jeffery 500 shouldn’t be too much to ask of her .
Can she start with the 404 perhaps? .. let the 500 sit on the market a little longer?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• WJ JEFFERY MAGAZINE RIFLE .500 CAL - 40061 for sale.pdf
    260.7 KB · Views: 13
I have a couple of those Walmart table lamps that I turned into "project" conversions. Maybe I could make a profit if I posted it on the right online auction site. Arizonafleamarket.com?
17092180936151635446971060182440.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of those Walmart table lamps that I turned into "project" conversions. Maybe I could make a profit if I posted it on the right online auction site. Arozonafleamarket.com?
View attachment 590204
Yeah, certainly not the only one. My priority's, really going places here.
Sorry I temp deleted that, my address was on W.J.'s literature.

My plastic Walmart Dresser's.

1709218378738.png

Yeah, certainly not the only one. My priority's, really going places here.
Sorry I temp deleted that, my address was on W.J.'s literature.

My plastic Walmart Dresser's.

View attachment 590206
Ah. 21st century decor. What do they call it? Postmodern surgery ward? My black Lab would sure have fun ruining that doobay. But at least you have good taste in guns. :D

Go and see Hartmann and Weiss in Hamburg and see what they charge for a bolt action . It is not just the Brits who know how to charge big $.
I am familiar with Hartmann & Weiss' rifles and shotguns. Flawless work. Perfection costs money.

This W.J. is fully spec'd, engraved, wood, beautiful .. there's some variables. Regardless, I really hope to see other's that may make it to the US in the future.

p.s. Does anyone know, what appears as a sort of engraving or texture on the barrel/chamber base is? Thank you.
1709226310267.png

This W.J. is fully spec'd, engraved, wood, beautiful .. there's some variables. Regardless, I really hope to see other's that may make it to the US in the future.

p.s. Does anyone know, what appears as a sort of engraving or texture on the barrel/chamber base is? Thank you.
View attachment 590248
Unfortunately I dont know the correct term in english but I believe it is done to reduce reflections/sheen.

I am just having another look at these rifles . It is wonderful to see small details from the 1920s versions of these rifles being being replicated . Most notably on the rear sights - island sights on the 404 , and a short quarter rib on the 500. Looks like original large sling eyes suitable for leather thong strap slings . Finally the very heavy but beautifully profiled barrels . Jeffery have captured the essence of these fabulous old rifles .
Do they use re-purposed leather thongs for straps?...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OUCIsis169

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.