Wade J VanGinkel

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Just a brief report on the hunt I just returned from. Not good at writing things.
Due to cheap airfare I found and booked a hunt on fairly short notice with home counties sporting in the Waddesdon area.
4 day hunt planned. I arrived a bit early so we took off and hunted the first evening. Saw plenty of deer but all does to include muntjac, Chinese water deer and roe.
First actual morning was a repeat of the evening before. Did spot a good muntjac from a high seat but was missing one antler so let him walk.
Just before dark I took my first animal, a nice water deer. Slightly broke on one side but I made the decision to shoot.
The next 2 and a half days were miles of stalking, high seat sitting and some calling. Just couldn't get on a decent buck. Brush to thick, too small and once I just wasn't fast enough.
Finally at midday on my 4th and final day we called and had a decent buck pop out of the hedgerow about 300 yards away. Managed to sneak in to about 100 yards and put him down with a heart shot from the sticks.
That should have been the end of my hunt but the guide wanted to keep hunting and allowed me to take a cull doe at no extra charge.
Did some fox calling after that. And although I was 3 for 3 on the deer I completely missed on my fox opportunity.
All in all a great enjoyable trip with a great outfit.
Rifle used was a blaser r93 in .243 with Schmidt & Bender 8x56. That high magnification caused me a bit of grief until I got used to it up close.
I know some likely wouldn't like it but they used thermal extensively to locate deer in the thick brush. Very effective but not how we ended up getting mine anyway.
Was not my plan but will likely go back at some point for roe deer and to get that fox I missed. Lol

20240113_165129.jpg
20240116_150710.jpg
20240116_114909.jpg
20240114_092740.jpg
20240114_084614.jpg
20240112_124825.jpg

Looks like a fun hunt. Congrats
Bruce

Your smile tells us, you had a wonderful time! Sounds interesting.

Great hunt, congrats !

Glad you enjoyed it over here.

I certainly did ,
Nothing negative about this trip at all.
Well. I did almost get run over when I looked the wrong way crossing the street due to things being opposite to what I'm used to. Lol
And warmer than at home.

Congrats
Sounds like good fun

Thanks for the report. Different hunting.
Congratulations.

Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed your hunt!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Waidmannsheil! Thanks a lot for sharing!

I really need to get organised and make the jump to the UK for one of these short hunts. Anyone know if it is still relatively easy to take your own rifle from continental Europe to the UK?

Waidmannsheil! Thanks a lot for sharing!

I really need to get organised and make the jump to the UK for one of these short hunts. Anyone know if it is still relatively easy to take your own rifle from continental Europe to the UK?
I hunted in England over the Christmas holidays in 2022-23 and again in 23-24. I didn’t bring a gun because we had plans to visit other countries. I also didn’t bring a gun because the Gents I hunted with have excellent firearms already.
Ease of travel, long hunting season, different species, hunting in England was really great. And you can sneak in some hunting days while doing a family trip to Europe.

That is a fun hunt. I think Europe has some of the best "bang for buck" adventures in international hunting... pardon the pun! Congrats on your success and thanks for the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liujinyue826

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.