Timber wolf

Indi

AH member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am from Portugal.
I would like to go hunt specifically for wolf in 25.
i wonder if you could tell me your ideas where to go and if early or later in the season to have the best chance.
Much appreciated.

Alaska. Probably the North Slope. @Tundra Tiger likely has some ideas. I’ve shot a number of them but they were all incidental to other hunts.

I have not yet managed one @WAB . Some day...

@Indi ... I am sure others will have ideas. I am sure there are many options in AK and Canada. We do have one local guide who guides in the spring off snowmachines for wolves, wolverines, and brown bear. I have never hunted with him, but he seems to have a lot of success and he seems like a nice guy - I know him enough to talk hunting at the post office. I can message you contact info via PM if you want. Again, there are likely a lot of options.

Idaho-multiple seasons avaialble so you can piggy back with other species. (Have other tags with you, just in case) I like winter when they follow prey species out of the wilderness-but mostly prime pelts.
Mile High outfitters but I’m sure there are others available.

I've researched this some and have seen the majority of wolf specific hunts being offered in Canada. They can be taken incidentally in many places.

Saw my first wolf in Minnesota while on a Moose hunt. Made the hair on my neck stand up when I notice him looking down upon me from 30 yards away atop a rock pile. Loved listening to them as we sat around the camp fires in the evening. They were protected then UT I believe there is an open season now. Never had an inclination to kill one.

I got mine in Ontario Canada, but if I wasn't worried about the cost Alberta has a really good outfit. Wolf hunting adventures. They got 28 this year.
Minnesota, michigan, and wisconsin currently do not have a season.

Please come to Alberta and relieve us of a few. There are plenty of Outfitters that will be happy to assist.

We even gave some to Montana so they could enjoy them.

I was actually talking to an outfitter last night about this at a show. His hunts are over bait in Alberta during Jan/Feb, only books 2 hunters at a time, and claims 80% success on opportunity. PM me if you want his contact information.

Hi everybody,
I am from Portugal.
I would like to go hunt specifically for wolf in 25.
i wonder if you could tell me your ideas where to go and if early or later in the season to have the best chance.
Much appreciated.
Indi: Wolf Hunts - even Guided - seem to have a Low success rate. Whatever Guide/Outfitter you select you may want to ask these 3 Questions:
1). How many Wolf Hunters did you take each of the last 3 Years?
2). Of those “Wolf Hunters” - How many Killed a Wolf?
3). Names of 4 Hunters in the past 3 years as references (2 that killed, 2 that failed),
You should be able to get very straight answers to these questions and that will give you a good idea “what to expect”. Some answers that always make me concerned are When a Guide stresses: How many Hunters had an “opportunity” or how many “missed” - because the word “opportunity” could be “a glimpse of a Wolf” or one “running at 300-400 yrds away”. Also, ”misses” carry the same vague definition: 200 yrds ‘Standing’ or 400 yards ‘running’…?
It’s never gonna be a sure thing and weather also plays a big factor but these are questions that I ask to “narrow it down”

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your inputs.
I am really considering Alberta , could you give me some names you consider please?
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.